Old 18-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Katy

Default Honeysuckle

Hello everyone, I grew a honeysuckle in a pot, up a trellis. I want
the honeysuckle to stop at the top of the trellis. As it grew I wove
it back and forth to fill it out all the way up - THEN just as it was
looking really lush it started dying from the bottom up -this was in
the space of a couple of months. ANy ideas? Too wet/too dry. I was
sad.... Any help much appreciated.
Old 18-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Katy
writes
Hello everyone, I grew a honeysuckle in a pot, up a trellis. I want
the honeysuckle to stop at the top of the trellis. As it grew I wove
it back and forth to fill it out all the way up - THEN just as it was
looking really lush it started dying from the bottom up -this was in
the space of a couple of months. ANy ideas? Too wet/too dry. I was
sad.... Any help much appreciated.

Honeysuckle likes its roots moist, but that is easier to find in the
shade of bushes. But then honeysuckle needs sun, so it climbs to the top
of the bush to get it. So it's natural tendency is bare stems at the
bottom, lush growth at the top, and all the flowers facing the sun on
your neighbour's side ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-03-2004, 11:46 PM
David Hill

This makes me think of a Leylandii hedge I say some time ago.
The hedge had had the top cut out to about 10 ft, and the whole thing had
been taken over by Honeysuckle which had filled the empty top.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 19-03-2004, 02:29 AM
martin

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:51:05 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

This makes me think of a Leylandii hedge I say some time ago.
The hedge had had the top cut out to about 10 ft, and the whole thing had
been taken over by Honeysuckle which had filled the empty top.

We stayed in a hotel, near Pylos in Greece, which had a row of date
palms between the hotel and the beach. The owner had planted geraniums
in the bark.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 19-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Spider

Hello Katy,
Have you examined the stems near the base? Could slugs/snails have eaten
through?
Could it be vine weevils? You'll have to look deep in the soil for these.
My only hopeful thought is that there are surviving basal shoots at crown
level, from which new growth will sprout. Otherwise you could try taking
cuttings if there's enough healthy top growth left.
Spider
m...