Old 22-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Out like a lion..........

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Mike" wrote in message

Things have never been the same since folk began using bows and arrows

Walking upright!

It's not easy to pull a bow while on your belly.

But having read The White Company it would seem that one can do so on
ones back to quite good effect.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-03-2004, 03:09 AM
David Hill

"..............Things have never been the same since folk began using bows
and arrows ............."

When will people realise that the rot started with the discovery of Fire and
learning how to have it on harness it for mans benefit(?) ........this was
the real start of global warming.....since then everything has been just
further refinement of this skill

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-03-2004, 08:34 AM
martin

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:08:53 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

It is not pleasant on a catamaran in anything above force 7

I've only been in a force 5-6, it had a rather odd motion.

The most enjoyable voyage I have had was Mallaig to Stornoway in a force
8-9 in the Loch Seaforth, a conventionally built monohull passenger
cargo vessel which took cars on board using a derrick and a net.

The Harwich-Hoek ferries did that in the 1960s.
One, the Arnhem, had a semi cylindrical deck in the bar and the walls
were decorated with marquetry.

The least enjoyable one was in somilar conditions from Tarbert to
Mallaig on The Hebrides, which was a tall, flat-bottomed side-loading
car ferry.

I think most modern mono hull ferries are flat bottomed.

Most of the first voyage was straight into the weather, while the second
was broadside-on.

Old 22-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Things have never been the same since folk began using bows and

arrows

Walking upright!

It's not easy to pull a bow while on your belly.

But having read The White Company it would seem that one can do so on
ones back to quite good effect.

Was Conan Doyle an archer then?

Mary

Old 22-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
"..............Things have never been the same since folk began using bows
and arrows ............."

When will people realise that the rot started with the discovery of Fire

and
learning how to have it on harness it for mans benefit(?) ........this was
the real start of global warming.....since then everything has been just
further refinement of this skill

Well, you might have something to ponder there ...

.... come to think of it, though, fire was round before Man - volcanoes and
the like.

No, weapons of mass destruction like the longbow have a lot to answer for.

Mary

Mary
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:05:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from "David Hill" contains

these
words:

",,,,,,,,,,why 'blame' anything. I can remember storms and gales
like this
50 years ago before 'Global Warming' was a buzz word

Late 1940's when Seaview Pier was washed away.

Early 1950's when High Tides and Storms wrecked dozens of beach tents

and
boats drawn up on the sand.

Canvey Island. Enough said on that. ............"

If you remember those things then you'll remember that Nuclear
tests were to
blame...

I remember 1947/8, and they blamed the weather then.

Some blamed nationalisation and Clement Atlee.

That's most unfair, blaming Clement Attlee for inclement weather.

I blame Our Glorious Leader for all evil. He should have learnt from his
predecessors.

Mary

Old 22-03-2004, 11:06 AM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:23:00 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I blame Our Glorious Leader for all evil. He should have learnt from his
predecessors.

He learnt a lot from Mrs T. :-((