Old 21-03-2004, 08:36 PM
martin

Default Out like a lion..........

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:06:37 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

JennyC21/3/04 5:57

"Mike" wrote in message

Is it still running in this weather? Normally they stop it when the
waves get high.

Why?
??????????

Because they don't like clearing up the mess of all the passengers who become
'unwell' !

It is not pleasant on a catamaran in anything above force 7

Jenny

The ones to the Channel Islands stop when the waves reach a certain height.
I think it may be a legal requirement as to safety but I'm not sure. They
operate a high speed catamaran and of course, these have no draught, so are
particularly susceptible to big seas. The worst trip home I ever had from
England was one Christmas when every crossing took 7 or 8 hours; it blew a
Force 10 to 11 almost all the way, everyone was sick, including all the
crew, one man died (heart attack) another was carried off unconscious, just
as we were coming round the Casquets,

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~jakesimpkin/Casquets.html

a notoriously dangerous area,

off Alderney, I've sailed near them several times, but only on nice
summer's days.

the
captain tactlessly announced that fact (think the White Ship and Henry the
Somethingth) the sea became ever more rought and we all groaned and just
about prayed for death and to cap it all, a total stranger who had asked me
to look after her Christmas turkey for her (yes, oven ready, not alive!)
never reclaimed it and after a few days of it stinking to high heaven, my
father insisted on burying it in the garden!

Christmas is not a good time for ferries, we were on the old
Hull-Rotterdam ferry when the waves were 26 feet high and the engine
through a wobbly.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 21-03-2004, 08:38 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:38:02 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Is it still running in this weather? Normally they stop it when the
waves get high.

Why?
??????????

Because they don't like clearing up the mess of all the passengers who

become
'unwell' !

It is not pleasant on a catamaran in anything above force 7

Jenny

You missed the point here.

no you did, Jenny isn't referring to this ferry.

http://www.fbmuk.com/images/SWATH_Patria.jpg

is a huge displacement catamaran, not like an ordinary one which hops over
the waves. Patria is built on 2 huge submarine like bodies which keep her
far more stable than an ordinary catamaran because they stay submerged. Look
at the other FBM site and you will see what I mean.

http://www.fbmuk.com/images/SWATH1.jpg

The Patria doesn't run on the Harwich Hoek route.

I was the Electrical Design Engineer on her trials during seas which had
put all other ships in harbour. She operates out in the Atlantic from
Madeira.

The point is you have the wrong ferry. :-)

The Red Jet Catamarans on the Red Funnel route from Cowes to Southampton are
ordinary catamarans and are prone to uncomfortable motions. I did the
Electrical Design on the first two, but because I had taken up an Electrical
Managers job up country, I didn't do their trials, but went on them later at
the invitation of the Ferry Company with my wife.

Catamarans and SWATH are different animals

Hope that helps

not really :-)

Old 21-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Sacha

Mike21/3/04 7:38 snip

You missed the point here.

No. You missed the point. The ferry was cancelled. Take it up with the
ferry company.
snip
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 22-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:05:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

",,,,,,,,,,why 'blame' anything. I can remember storms and gales
like this
50 years ago before 'Global Warming' was a buzz word

Late 1940's when Seaview Pier was washed away.

Early 1950's when High Tides and Storms wrecked dozens of beach tents and
boats drawn up on the sand.

Canvey Island. Enough said on that. ............"

If you remember those things then you'll remember that Nuclear
tests were to
blame...

I remember 1947/8, and they blamed the weather then.

Some blamed nationalisation and Clement Atlee.

That's most unfair, blaming Clement Attlee for inclement weather.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Things have never been the same since folk began using bows and arrows ...

Walking upright!

That's right! Wearing holes in the air.

Old 22-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

It is not pleasant on a catamaran in anything above force 7

I've only been in a force 5-6, it had a rather odd motion.

The most enjoyable voyage I have had was Mallaig to Stornoway in a force
8-9 in the Loch Seaforth, a conventionally built monohull passenger
cargo vessel which took cars on board using a derrick and a net.

The least enjoyable one was in somilar conditions from Tarbert to
Mallaig on The Hebrides, which was a tall, flat-bottomed side-loading
car ferry.

Most of the first voyage was straight into the weather, while the second
was broadside-on.

Old 22-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Mike" wrote in message

Things have never been the same since folk began using bows and arrows

Walking upright!

It's not easy to pull a bow while on your belly.

But having read The White Company it would seem that one can do so on
ones back to quite good effect.

Old 22-03-2004, 02:48 AM
David Hill

"..............Things have never been the same since folk began using bows
and arrows ............."

When will people realise that the rot started with the discovery of Fire and
learning how to have it on harness it for mans benefit(?) ........this was
the real start of global warming.....since then everything has been just
further refinement of this skill

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries