Old 07-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Julie

Default Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant Propagation

Hi All,

Getting my daughter involved in gardening. We went to the garden
centre today and bought one each Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant
Bushes. She would like to have more but wants to do them herself. What
is a good website that could explain how to do this or can any one
here give good details on how to?

We have Lights, Heated Propagator, Root Trainers and hopefully by the
weekend a small greenhouse (if any of these things is useful in making
new bushes) :-)

Thanks
Julie
Old 08-04-2004, 12:36 AM
David Hill

"...........What is a good website that could explain how to do this or can
any one here give good details on how to? ....."

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...d_cuttings.asp

Remove all buds below ground before putting the cuttings into the ground to
root.
For gooseberries you also want to have a short stem before the bush starts,
so remove buds from 3/4 of the stem and plant half its length into the
ground.
This is not so for currants.
If you are going to scar with a knife blade then just one scrape down the
stem, though if you have cut off the buds you should have enough scaring,
The idea is that where you have wounded the stem it will form a callous, and
it is from this that the roots grow.
If you take the cuttings in say October then by about April they should have
roots on them. It is probably best if you leave them till the following
Autumn before moving to their final growing site. The currants want to be
cut back to about 4 buds once they start to grow as you are aiming to
produce a multi stemmed plant.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Julie
writes

Getting my daughter involved in gardening. We went to the garden
centre today and bought one each Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant
Bushes. She would like to have more but wants to do them herself. What
is a good website that could explain how to do this or can any one
here give good details on how to?

The easiest way with the gooseberry is to peg down any low branches into
a soft soil peat mix and they will root down. Easier than taking
cuttings.

Same will work for red currant (but why would you want to propagate them
intentionally) but you get free seedlings everywhere after the first
season..

Worth growing also a josta berries and black currant.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 08-04-2004, 11:05 AM
sahara

Martin Brown wrote in message ...

Same will work for red currant (but why would you want to propagate them
intentionally) but you get free seedlings everywhere after the first
season..

Redcurrants are lovely, very decorative and you can make the most
lovely jelly to jolly up your roast with them.

Worth growing also a josta berries and black currant.

i have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

sarah a
Old 08-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Martin Brown

In message , sahara
writes
Martin Brown wrote in message

Same will work for red currant (but why would you want to propagate them
intentionally) but you get free seedlings everywhere after the first
season..

Redcurrants are lovely, very decorative and you can make the most
lovely jelly to jolly up your roast with them.

I know. My previous garden had a row of them about 30' long. Even the
birds got bored with eating the things and new bushes came up from seed
everywhere.

Worth growing also a josta berries and black currant.

i have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

Gooseberry / black currant hybrid with massive sized (1-2cm) black
currant like fruit that require much less top and tailing to get a
decent pie. Robust arcing growth habit moderate sized bush 1.5tall 2m
diameter.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 08-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
(sahara) writes:

| Worth growing also a josta berries and black currant.
|
| i have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

A gooseberry-blackcurrant cross. I have some, which have produced
precisely as many coconuts as jostaberries.

Weird - mine were heavy croppers and required no maintenance apart from
keeping the hens from pinching the fruit on the lower branches. I'd have
thought it would grow in Cambridge just as well as in Belgium.

Though I was on heavy clay soil rather than light sand - may be
relevant?

I'll let you know what happens. I have just bought one for my garden in
N Yorks so if it fruits then it may well be fussy about soil type or
something.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 08-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

| i have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

A gooseberry-blackcurrant cross. I have some, which have produced
precisely as many coconuts as jostaberries.

Weird - mine were heavy croppers and required no maintenance apart from
keeping the hens from pinching the fruit on the lower branches. I'd have
thought it would grow in Cambridge just as well as in Belgium.

They were a present from someone who had taken them as cuttings,
but I am not sure whether from a known cropping plant or 'just'
a gooseberry-blackcurrant cross. If they don't at least flower
this year, they are going.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Jim W

Julie wrote:

Getting my daughter involved in gardening. We went to the garden
centre today and bought one each Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant
Bushes. She would like to have more but wants to do them herself. What
is a good website that could explain how to do this or can any one
here give good details on how to?

We have Lights, Heated Propagator, Root Trainers and hopefully by the
weekend a small greenhouse (if any of these things is useful in making
new bushes) :-)

Certainly with gooseberries we just pull a bit off a mature plant and
stick it in.. 9 out of 10 root and have new plant next year.
Best time to do this is autumn, or early spring (before buds/new growth
starts)

Jim
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM
David Hill

".......... I have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

A gooseberry-blackcurrant cross. I have some, which have produced precisely
as many coconuts as jostaberries ......."

Just wish mine would produce a few coconuts........Mine produce a lot of
fruit BUT the birds get all the fruit before I get a chance,
Be warned if you are going to grow Jostaberries the bushes will grow to 5 or
6 ft so give them much more room than you would give black currants.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-04-2004, 03:37 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

The easiest way with the gooseberry is to peg down any low branches into
a soft soil peat mix and they will root down. Easier than taking
cuttings.

Same will work for red currant (but why would you want to propagate them
intentionally) but you get free seedlings everywhere after the first
season..

Because seeds very rarely grow true to type.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

".......... I have never heard of a josta berry. what are they?

A gooseberry-blackcurrant cross. I have some, which have produced precisely
as many coconuts as jostaberries ......."

Just wish mine would produce a few coconuts........Mine produce a lot of
fruit BUT the birds get all the fruit before I get a chance,
Be warned if you are going to grow Jostaberries the bushes will grow to 5 or
6 ft so give them much more room than you would give black currants.

Huh! Our blackcurrants reached a good seven feet.....