Old 21-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Jason Scott

Default Garden Plaques

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Thanks Jay

Old 21-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Scott Jason

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:34:23 +0100, "Jason Scott"
wrote:

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Id have thought the morgue would be a bit closer :0)

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

No

Old 21-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Robert E A Harvey

Jason Scott wrote:
I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer
to God in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

There is a small foundry in a village near here that casts alloy (and
plastic) house name-boards. I am sure there are many such around the
country. They should be able to make something up for you, they will have a
stock set of borders and the like. A Goolge search for "garden plaque"
turned up hundreds of hits in the uk.

Failing that, the people who make concrete novelties (and there are several
of them round Spalding, so I expect it's the same round your way) will be
able to make you something like that. My Son-in-law was given one that says
"Old gardeners never die, they simply spade away"

Old 21-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jason Scott
writes
I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

I've seen one, but can't remember for sure where .. try Past Times

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-04-2004, 01:18 PM
klara King

Jason Scott writes
I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to
God in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Does it have to be a plaque? Sundials and bird baths sometimes have it
on them.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 21-04-2004, 04:05 PM
shazzbat

"Jason Scott" wrote in message
I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to

God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Did you want just that wording? As I remember, that is the latter part of a
verse which begins "the kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds
for mirth" And there may be more for all I know.

And I've seen it in various garden centres.

Steve

Old 21-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Rod

wrote:

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Thanks Jay

I've got one here I'd dearly like to 'lose'..........one day when I
think the boss's family have forgotten about it ;~}

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 21-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Jack Ouzzi

wrote:

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Thanks Jay

I am sure my wife (a potter) will be able to make you a ceramic one
for a reasonable price !!

Old 22-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Robert E A Harvey

shazzbat wrote:
Did you want just that wording? As I remember, that is the latter
part of a verse which begins "the kiss of the sun for pardon, The
song of the birds for mirth" And there may be more for all I know.

It's by Dorothy Frances Gurney (1858-1932) , a song called "God's Garden"
that was popular in Victorian England, but much more so in the USA. Bit
treacly for me.

I prefer dear old Kipling: (below). He had a sundial with the inscription
"It is later than you think"

The Glory of the Garden, Rudyard Kipling
=============================
Our England is a garden that is full of stately views,
of borders, beds and shrubberies and lawns and avenues,
With statues on the terraces and peacocks strutting by;
but the Glory of the Garden lies in more than meets the eye.

For where the old thick laurels grow, along the thin red wall,
you'll find the tool- and potting-sheds which are the heart of all,
The cold-frames and the hot-houses, the dungpits and the tanks,
the rollers, carts and drain-pipes, with the barrows and the planks.

And there you'll see the gardeners, the men and 'prentice boys
told off to do as they are bid and do it without noise;
For, except when seeds are planted and we shout to scare the birds,
the Glory of the Garden it abideth not in words.

And some can pot begonias and some can bud a rose,
and some are hardly fit to trust with anything that grows;
But they can roll and trim the lawns and sift the sand and loam,
for the Glory of the Garden occupieth all who come.

Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
by singing: "Oh, how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
While better men than we go out and start their working lives
at grubbing weeds from gravel-paths with broken dinnerknives.

There's not a pair of legs so thin, there's not a head so thick,
there's not a hand so weak and white, nor yet a heart so sick,
But it can find some needful job that's crying to be done,
for the Glory of the Garden glorifieth every one.

Then seek your job with thankfulness and work till further orders,
If it's only netting strawberries or killing slugs on borders;
And when your back stops aching and your hands begin to harden,
You will find yourself a partner in the Glory of the Garden.

Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden that it may not pass away!

==

(me, I'm a trimmer of lawns and sifter of loam)

Old 22-04-2004, 11:05 AM
shazzbat

SNIP

The cold-frames and the hot-houses, the dungpits and the tanks,
the rollers, carts and drain-pipes, with the barrows and the planks.

That sounds like my department.

Steve

Old 22-04-2004, 11:05 AM
martin

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:31:30 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

SNIP

The cold-frames and the hot-houses, the dungpits and the tanks,
the rollers, carts and drain-pipes, with the barrows and the planks.

That sounds like my department.

plaques not plagues
Old 22-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Thanks Jay

I've got one here I'd dearly like to 'lose'..........one day when I
think the boss's family have forgotten about it ;~}

You have my heartfelt synpathy. Have you considered a gradualist, or
Fabian, approach? Anoint the offending epigraph with sour milk, and
let it quietly grow over with mosses etc? Then one day it will have
become invisible, and they may forget their moment of generosity? You
might also glue a few tiny pieces of moss on it and wait for them
spread: I've done that to age stones.

Mike.
Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 PM
FF

wrote:

I am looking for a garden Plaque with the inscription "you're closer to God
in a garden, than anywhere else on Earth"

Anyone know where I might get hold of one of these?

Thanks Jay

Scotts of Stow do personalised Commemorative Garden Plaques for 10.95 (up to 94
letters and spaces). Also personalised Pet Memorial Plaques. You could give 'em a
ring. Or you could try Past Times.

Liz

Garden Door in Door County Wisconsin Garden Door 07 Garden Angel in Watering Can.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 31-07-2009 11:01 PM
Garden variety advice. Calling Garden Sages! Cindie Light Texas 0 21-08-2004 06:27 PM
Gargoyle Wall Plaques/Masks Ian White United Kingdom 14 09-01-2004 11:33 PM
Garden Plaques?? NewsUser Gardening 5 12-05-2003 05:56 PM
New Garden Site & Free Garden Video Bobby Baxter Gardening 1 27-04-2003 01:08 PM