Old 22-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Tara

Default waterproof pot?

I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone advice
please?

Old 22-04-2004, 10:12 AM
martin

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:56:41 +0100, "Tara"
wrote:

I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone advice
please?

A coat of International Epiglas epoxy resin or similar product would
make it water proof, assuming you fill any holes with car body filler
first.

Old 22-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tara" wrote in message
I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water

lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie

Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone

advice
please?

A couple of coats of silicone varnish should do the job nicely.

Franz

Old 22-04-2004, 08:13 PM
JennyC

"Tara" wrote in message
I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone advice
please?

Boat varnish should work.
Jenny

Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
martin

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:55:47 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Tara" wrote in message
I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone advice
please?

Boat varnish should work.

Won't it eventually lift off? It does on boats :-(

Old 26-04-2004, 04:12 AM
Mike Lyle

"Tara" wrote in message ...
I have a terracotta pot in which Id like to have some sort of water lily
maybe. What do I need to use to waterproof the pot? I saw Charlie Dimmock
doing it on tv once but cant remember what she used. Can anyone advice
please?

I don't know about Chuckie Dimwit, but you can coat it inside and out
with masonry waterproofer. It's expensive, though, in the quite large
quantities you seem to have to buy; and it won't protect against the
water inside freezing solid and bursting it by expansion -- though I
guess that would kill the water-lily anyhow. You may be able to find a
plastic bucket, waste-paper bin, paintpot or something which will fit.

Mike.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Mike Lyle

"john west++++" wrote in message ...
car repair fibreglass?

Yes, but just the resin and hardener: no need for the glass fibres. I
think it may need to be weathered for a while just in case there's
something toxic to plants in it. It still won't be proof against
bursting if it freezes solid, though.

I treated some bathroom timbers that way ten years ago, before
painting, and it's stood up perfectly.
[...]
Boat varnish should work.

Won't it eventually lift off? It does on boats :-(

Yes.

Mike.