Old 26-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Simon

Default Railway Sleepers

Hi
I currently have 10 New Softwood Railway Sleepers that I need to make cuts
in (ie, shorten)

I am not sure on how to do this, every where I read it mentions to use a
Chain saw, I see that I can get one from Argos for about £50 but I am not
sure if these are powerful enough also they look dangerous.

Has anybody any experience of cutting these things with a normal handsaw?

Regards
Simon

Old 26-04-2004, 06:06 PM
PK

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi
I currently have 10 New Softwood Railway Sleepers that I need to make cuts
in (ie, shorten)

I am not sure on how to do this, every where I read it mentions to use a
Chain saw, I see that I can get one from Argos for about £50 but I am not
sure if these are powerful enough also they look dangerous.

Has anybody any experience of cutting these things with a normal handsaw?

A decent hand rip saw will do the job. i've don it on both softwood and
hardwood. give yourself a beer at the end as reward1

pk

Old 26-04-2004, 08:09 PM
John Rouse

In article , PK
writes
A decent hand rip saw will do the job. i've don it on both softwood and
hardwood. give yourself a beer at the end as reward1

The art in sawing is to use your elbow, not your shoulder. Try and keep
your shoulder still, and only bend your elbow.

John
--
John Rouse

Old 27-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Toby Maxwell-Lyte

I've just finished a project involving cutting 12 sleepers. Fortunately I had
the use of a chainsaw otherwise I think that my arms would now be dead. If
they're second hand sleepers watch out for embedded stones / chippings.,
chainsaws don't like them.

Old 27-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Simon
writes
mmmm thanks for the replies, looks like I need to gather strength for some
hard work :-(

Or get a woman to do it for you!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-04-2004, 01:11 PM
martin

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:13:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Simon
writes
mmmm thanks for the replies, looks like I need to gather strength for some
hard work :-(

Or get a woman to do it for you!

is that an offer? :-)
Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
D Russell

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi
I currently have 10 New Softwood Railway Sleepers that I need to make cuts
in (ie, shorten)

I am not sure on how to do this, every where I read it mentions to use a
Chain saw, I see that I can get one from Argos for about £50 but I am not
sure if these are powerful enough also they look dangerous.

Has anybody any experience of cutting these things with a normal handsaw?

Regards
Simon

Have you thought about trying to hire a circular saw, with a blade wide
enough to do half the sleeper. Should be safer than a chainsaw, needs a bit
more practice to get the two cuts to line up though I'd guess. Maybe you
could do one side with the circular and then hand saw the rest, saves half
the work.
Duncan

Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , martin
writes
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:13:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Simon
writes
mmmm thanks for the replies, looks like I need to gather strength for some
hard work :-(

Or get a woman to do it for you!

is that an offer? :-)

My husband says no it isn't or he won't get his fair share of work from
me ........... on the other hand he also said "let's not be hasty here,
how much were you thinking of offering?"

Old 28-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Sam

How about something like this?

We have one and i use it anywhere I'm not happy using the chainsaw - like
above shoulder height or up a ladder. It says max 115mm in wood but I've cut
trees much larger than that. I'm sure it would manage a sleeper all be it
fairly slowly. It's particularly effective at pruning.

Sam

Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 AM
martin

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:51:21 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:13:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Simon
writes
mmmm thanks for the replies, looks like I need to gather strength for some
hard work :-(

Or get a woman to do it for you!

is that an offer? :-)

My husband says no it isn't or he won't get his fair share of work from
me ........... on the other hand he also said "let's not be hasty here,
how much were you thinking of offering?"

What's the going rate? :-)

oo-er missus :-)
Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Simon
writes

ONE FREE SLEEPER :-) (not cut!!!!)

I thought that was a chain of garden centres in which case I'll take a
local one thank you
Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , martin
writes

My husband says no it isn't or he won't get his fair share of work from
me ........... on the other hand he also said "let's not be hasty here,
how much were you thinking of offering?"

What's the going rate? :-)

Why Martin?
Are you trying to undercut me in price?

Old 28-04-2004, 02:08 PM
martin

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:51:43 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

My husband says no it isn't or he won't get his fair share of work from
me ........... on the other hand he also said "let's not be hasty here,
how much were you thinking of offering?"

What's the going rate? :-)

Why Martin?
Are you trying to undercut me in price?

As if I could :-)

For my next trick I will saw a Dalmatatian lover in half.

Old 29-04-2004, 10:11 PM
gitfinger

The blade on the ferm is not man enough. You need an aligator saw like this

B&D used to do one cheaper or try the local hire shop

"sw" wrote in message
. co.uk...
Sam wrote:

How about something like this?

We have one and i use it anywhere I'm not happy using the chainsaw -

like
above shoulder height or up a ladder. It says max 115mm in wood but I've

cut
trees much larger than that. I'm sure it would manage a sleeper all be

it
fairly slowly. It's particularly effective at pruning.

The only thing I've used that's remotely similar to that is the
Black&Decker equivalent owned by a friend. Looks a bit more like a
normal saw, but with a powertool where the handle should be. Admittedly
I was told the blade was dull, but it struck me as little more than a
good way to get vibration white finger fast. I tested my bowsaw on a
piece of the wood when I returned home, and I could handsaw faster and
with less effort with the sawblade that had cut the crossing timbers
than was required by that electric saw. Clearly your mileage varies, or
the Ferm is very different to the B&D version.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.