Old 27-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Default Which Cultivator ?

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for the best budget cultivator for domestic use ?. I would prefer as light a cultivator as possible and one that doesn’t pull me around the garden like those generally hired out.

Are there any retailers that sell second user / demonstrator stock that are on the net.

I define budget as under £500 to buy. It will be used on a sloping patch that has heavy stoney soil, tending towards clay.

Also recommendations on good places to buy would also be appreciated.
Old 27-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Bob Hobden

"No_Garden_R" wrote

--

We have a Honda and would recommend their cultivators, it's worn out one lot
of tynes already but still looks like new.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 28-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hobden

We have a Honda and would recommend their cultivators, it's worn out one lot
of tynes already but still looks like new.

--
Regards
Bob
Thank you for the reply Bob.

You say it has worn out a set of tynes, I take this is over a reasonable length of time and use?

Which model do you have, and how do you find it handles, perhaps compared to others you might have used or owned. ?
Old 30-04-2004, 09:02 AM
David

No_Garden_R wrote in message ws.com...
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for the best budget
cultivator for domestic use ?. I would prefer as light a cultivator as
possible and one that doesn?t pull me around the garden like those
generally hired out.

The best ones are those with wheels and 3 speeds (gears).
They don't have to be carried at all and are easier to use than those
w/o wheels
On slow speed (first gear) they move along slowly and are easy to
manage and turn. They don't haul you around the garden, unless you go
too deep too quickly or the soil is too damp and you clog the tines in
which case they will try to take off (the tines turn faster than the
wheels)
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Bob Hobden

"No_Garden_R" wrote ...

Thank you for the reply Bob.

You say it has worn out a set of tynes, I take this is over a
reasonable length of time and use?

Which model do you have, and how do you find it handles, perhaps
compared to others you might have used or owned. ?
--

The tynes wore out over about 8 years use on our heavy clay/silt soil, we
have two full allotments and it's also borrowed by a friend for his

(had to sell my 1946 Norton model 18 motorbike to buy it)