Old 28-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Gordon

Default Soil improvement

Hi,
I seem to remember that this newsgroup had an excellent FAQ site. Although I
come from Glasgow, I've just moved to a new home in Canada where the soil is
more suitable to pottery making than gardening. I'm looking for advice on
soil improvement. Can anyone point me at the newsgroup site.

Gordon

PS I am always more of a lurker than a poster but it would seem that many of
the big contributors to this group are no longer posting and there is no
longer a policy of UK only questions. Am I missing some well hidden
politics?

Old 28-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Alan Gould

In article able.rogers
..com, Gordon writes
Hi,
I seem to remember that this newsgroup had an excellent FAQ site. Although I
come from Glasgow, I've just moved to a new home in Canada where the soil is
more suitable to pottery making than gardening. I'm looking for advice on
soil improvement. Can anyone point me at the newsgroup site.

Urg FAQ 'Improving clay' is at:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoil1.htm

Other urg FAQs can be found at:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

Gordon

PS I am always more of a lurker than a poster but it would seem that many of
the big contributors to this group are no longer posting and there is no
longer a policy of UK only questions. Am I missing some well hidden
politics?

This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.
Anyone is welcome to discuss that here.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Brian

There is the 'rec. gardening' which is US and Canadian based. They have some
excellent and knowledgeable contributors and also those who are naive.[Which
makes it interesting]
Best Wishes and happiness in your new country. Summer will be fantastic!!
Brian 'flayb' to reply.
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old 01-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article able.rogers
.com, Gordon writes

[...]
PS I am always more of a lurker than a poster but it would seem that many of
the big contributors to this group are no longer posting and there is no
longer a policy of UK only questions. Am I missing some well hidden
politics?

This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.
Anyone is welcome to discuss that here.

And I for one very much like hearing about things from overseas which
may overlap with the British Isles experience, or set us thinking in
new ways -- the one about indoor herbs in Canada is an excellent
example.

Even an *occasional* glimpse of the constant nightmare of how to keep
a lawn going in parts of the US can be illuminating! (If only to make
one question whether one wants a lawn at all.)

Mike.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:22:09 GMT, "Gordon" wrote:

I seem to remember that this newsgroup had an excellent FAQ site. Although I
come from Glasgow, I've just moved to a new home in Canada where the soil is
more suitable to pottery making than gardening. I'm looking for advice on
soil improvement. Can anyone point me at the newsgroup site.

Rec.gardens (and rec.gardens.edible) are mostly, 'though not
exclusively, patronized by those dealing with US, Canadian, and
Australian/New Zealand topics. All will mention compost and other
organic matter for soil improvement.

PS I am always more of a lurker than a poster but it would seem that many of
the big contributors to this group are no longer posting and there is no
longer a policy of UK only questions. Am I missing some well hidden
politics?

Was there ever a policy of UK-only questions? I thought I was just
supposed to not rabbit on about USDA 'zones' and ask why people would
grow cucumbers in greenhouses instead of outside. :-)

Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Frogleg
writes

Also never to mention r*****s in the corn! :-(
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:22:09 GMT, "Gordon" wrote:

PS I am always more of a lurker than a poster but it would seem that many of
the big contributors to this group are no longer posting and there is no
longer a policy of UK only questions. Am I missing some well hidden
politics?

Was there ever a policy of UK-only questions? I thought I was just
supposed to not rabbit on about USDA 'zones' and ask why people would
grow cucumbers in greenhouses instead of outside. :-)

I think so. The charter says something about 'relevant to gardening in
the UK'. Which about covers what you have said ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
John Rouse

In article , Frogleg
writes

Was there ever a policy of UK-only questions? I thought I was just
supposed to not rabbit on about USDA 'zones' and ask why people would
grow cucumbers in greenhouses instead of outside. :-)

I think the title "UK.rec.gardening" may give a hint as to the focus for
the group.

John
--
John Rouse
Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from John Rouse contains these words:

In article , Frogleg
writes

Was there ever a policy of UK-only questions?
I thought I was just
supposed to not rabbit on about USDA 'zones' and ask why people would
grow cucumbers in greenhouses instead of outside. :-)

I think the title "UK.rec.gardening" may give a hint as to the focus for
the group.

Here's what the abc post says:

"Uk.rec.gardening is based in the British Isles for the discussion
of gardening within those islands (snip) Contributors from outside the
British Isles are not discouraged but,because this newsgroup is intended
to help gardeners in the British
Isles, it should be remembered that all questions and answers should
relate to a climate similar to that found in the British Isles. We
thank you for your cooperation in this."

Janet.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I think so. The charter says something about 'relevant to gardening in
the UK'. Which about covers what you have said ;-)

But is soil improvement not relevant to gardeners anywhere?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I think so. The charter says something about 'relevant to gardening in
the UK'. Which about covers what you have said ;-)

But is soil improvement not relevant to gardeners anywhere?

Yes, but how it's achieved in different countries/climates varies. Try
rec.gardens for an eyeopener..they call it soil amendment.

Janet
Old 05-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
But is soil improvement not relevant to gardeners anywhere?

Yes, but how it's achieved in different countries/climates varies. Try
rec.gardens for an eyeopener..they call it soil amendment.

Soil improvement/amendment is carried out in various ways in all
countries and it is relevant to gardeners and to gardening everywhere.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:05 PM
John Rouse

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
Here's what the abc post says:

"Uk.rec.gardening is based in the British Isles for the discussion
of gardening within those islands (snip) Contributors from outside the
British Isles are not discouraged but,because this newsgroup is intended
to help gardeners in the British
Isles, it should be remembered that all questions and answers should
relate to a climate similar to that found in the British Isles. We
thank you for your cooperation in this."

I think the point is that there are many groups around where gardening
is discussed, and many of the posters in those groups do not appreciate
the varied climatic conditions encountered in a maritime climate. Indeed
I have half a dozen climate zones in my own garden!

John
--
John Rouse
Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
golincs.demon.co.uk...
This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.

There is no reference to 'recreational' anything in our charter which
states:

uk.rec.gardening To discuss gardening topics relevant to the UK

THE CHARTER:

To discuss gardening issues relevant to the UK. These will
include flowers, shrubs, trees, fruit & vegetables, lawns,
houseplants, beneficial insects & animals, soils, composting,
design, location, situation, seasons/times, hard structures
(paths, greenhouses, cloches, rockeries), ponds, tools &
materials, weeds and pests & diseases. This is not meant to be
an exhaustive list.

In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific
newsgroups, discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands
and the Isle of Man will also be welcome. Because there are
climatic, legal, cultural and other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are
other regional gardening newsgroups, and the global
rec.gardens, one of which may be more appropriate). Please note
that this exclusion relates to subject matter, not people, and
posters from around the globe will be welcome to participate in
or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics.

Specifically, please remember that there is no direct
correlation between US climate zones and the climate of the UK.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
golincs.demon.co.uk...
This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.

There is no reference to 'recreational' anything in our charter which
states:

But isn't the 'recreational' implied by being part of the .rec
hierarchy?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: