Old 30-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

"martin" wrote in message
news
We paid UKP3 a kilo in a UK garden centre AFAIR.

£4 a kilo on Ammanford Market this morning (as were Pembrokes) and much
whinging about availability being poor this year for both varieties.

Old 30-04-2004, 02:07 PM
martin

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:55:51 +0100, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
news
We paid UKP3 a kilo in a UK garden centre AFAIR.

£4 a kilo on Ammanford Market this morning (as were Pembrokes) and much
whinging about availability being poor this year for both varieties.

My wife informs me that in fact we paid UKP3 for 3.5 kg of seed
potatoes at Roger's Plants in Pickering. For this we got not only
potatoes, but 15 minutes of expert advice. I feel much better now :-)

Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Bob Hobden

"George Bray" wrote in message then ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
The correct name of "Jersey Royals" is "International Kidney", they only
become "Jersey Royals" when grown on Jersey.
You will find "International Kidney" seed potatoes easy to come by so

why
bother to try to save bought ones for a year?
What you need to get them to taste right is lots of compost made with
seaweed, without it they will just taste like any other new potato.

Thank you for this info, which I was aware of, but hadn't found
anywhere that sold International Kidney seed potatoes, hence my
decision to buy ordinary spuds from shops. Following your comment,
I'll have another look.

Try mail order then....

http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/...st/full-list/3

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk/index...10&d=300&e= 0
(watch the wrap)

I'm sure there are lots more.

Our reasonably local GC (Heathrow GC at West Drayton) sells a good variety
of spuds and seems to be able to get in whatever you want. Try asking your
local one especially if it's an independent like ours is.
The RHS at Wisley also have them every year which is where I normally buy
mine.

Some people have reported good flavour by watering using seaweed extract,
something I intend to try this year (having purchased 5lts from N A Kays)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
George Bray

Sacha wrote in message .uk...
Ah but where did you find the vraic? ;-)

Sacha, Mike

Thank you for your respective help.

The element of doubt about the exact type of potato is part of the
reason why I decided to buy Jersey Royals from a shop. I'll buy
another batch, later in May, when the price falls a bit. If I buy
'kidney' seed potatoes how can I be sure they're the real thing, even
though plenty of people say 'Jersey Royals' ARE 'International Kidney'
potatoes.

The first thing I need to check about vraic is that I can identify the
stuff, even if I can find any! Some sources say it's found more on
Atlantic beaches, rather than, say, in Hampshire or Essex.

Regards
George

Old 30-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Sacha

George Bray30/4/04 3:53

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
Ah but where did you find the vraic? ;-)

Sacha, Mike

Thank you for your respective help.

The element of doubt about the exact type of potato is part of the
reason why I decided to buy Jersey Royals from a shop. I'll buy
another batch, later in May, when the price falls a bit. If I buy
'kidney' seed potatoes how can I be sure they're the real thing, even
though plenty of people say 'Jersey Royals' ARE 'International Kidney'
potatoes.

The first thing I need to check about vraic is that I can identify the
stuff, even if I can find any! Some sources say it's found more on
Atlantic beaches, rather than, say, in Hampshire or Essex.

Regards
George

The Jersey Royal is indeed the Jersey Royal because, AIUI, it's a 'fluke' of
the International Kidney, so there's a difference of some sort. As to the
'vraic' , it's seaweed in general but what's mainly used is bladder wrack
(Fucus vesiculosis) that sort of broad, freckly, frondy stuff that has warts
on it and dries to a crisp blackness.
http://www.societe-jersiaise.org/langsec/vraic.jpg is a pic. of bladderwrack
being collected 'time past', as we say in Jersey and this is a link to a
short dissertation on various seaweeds and their functions and uses in
Jersey and elsewhe http://www.societe-jersiaise.org/langsec/vraic.html
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 30-04-2004, 06:07 PM
martin

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:05:13 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

George Bray30/4/04 3:53

Sacha wrote in message
[...]

In Brittany AFAIR and according to your web site they harvest kelp.
It's kelp which is usually washed up in large piles after a storm in
most places.

Have you any idea why they don't harvest kelp in Jersey or do they?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Sacha

martin30/4/04 5:24

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:05:13 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

George Bray30/4/04 3:53

Sacha wrote in message
[...]

Look at the website. ;-) I think they harvest everything that's going but
the most prolific in winter storms is the bladder wrack.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 01-05-2004, 08:04 AM
martin

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:42:44 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

In Brittany AFAIR and according to your web site they harvest kelp.
It's kelp which is usually washed up in large piles after a storm in
most places.

Have you any idea why they don't harvest kelp in Jersey or do they?

Look at the website. ;-) I think they harvest everything that's going but
the most prolific in winter storms is the bladder wrack.

I remember watching a BBC archeology program about Scotland where they
showed ancient pits where seaweed was burnt before being used on the
land. Is this what they do in the C.I.?

I had a scout camp holiday in Jersey in 1953, it rained very hard and
we ended sleeping on the floor of a church hall in St Martin near
Rozel. I've been back several times to the Channel Isles, mainly
Alderney, but by boat. Boats tend to be drier than tents when it rains
:-)
Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Sacha

martin1/5/04 11:00

martin1/5/04 7:58

wrote:

In Brittany AFAIR and according to your web site they harvest kelp.
It's kelp which is usually washed up in large piles after a storm in
most places.

Have you any idea why they don't harvest kelp in Jersey or do they?

Look at the website. ;-) I think they harvest everything that's going but
the most prolific in winter storms is the bladder wrack.

I remember watching a BBC archeology program about Scotland where they
showed ancient pits where seaweed was burnt before being used on the
land. Is this what they do in the C.I.?

No, they just spread it on 'neat'. It rots down through the winter.

We wondered if anybody ever burnt it. We couldn't see the point.

Perhaps they thought the salt had to be burned off? I don't understand that
at all because you'd think they'd realise that burning also burned away the
nutrients. Are we sure these weren't just huge fireplaces for ceilidh
nights? ;-)

I had a scout camp holiday in Jersey in 1953, it rained very hard and
we ended sleeping on the floor of a church hall in St Martin near
Rozel. I've been back several times to the Channel Isles, mainly
Alderney, but by boat. Boats tend to be drier than tents when it rains
:-)

If you sail round Alderney good luck to you!

I've never actually sailed around it just to/from and past it.

Quite enough to be going on with! Have you *seen* the tidal charts for that
area. ;-((

And I used to live in St
Martin's, not far from Rozel. I know the Public Hall very well indeed!

It has very hard floor boards :-)

All the better for stamping on during election hustings. ;-)

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
martin

On Sat, 01 May 2004 14:28:47 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin1/5/04 11:00

On Sat, 01 May 2004 09:55:30 +0100, Sacha

martin1/5/04 7:58
wrote:

[...]

sounds much more probable, archeologists aren't very practical when
they are guess mode.

I had a scout camp holiday in Jersey in 1953, it rained very hard and
we ended sleeping on the floor of a church hall in St Martin near
Rozel. I've been back several times to the Channel Isles, mainly
Alderney, but by boat. Boats tend to be drier than tents when it rains
:-)

If you sail round Alderney good luck to you!

I've never actually sailed around it just to/from and past it.

Quite enough to be going on with! Have you *seen* the tidal charts for that
area. ;-((

I have seen the real thing close up. I remember rocks whizzing by and
the boat averaging about 8 knots over the ground in a light wind when
we went from Alderney to Jersey.

And I used to live in St
Martin's, not far from Rozel. I know the Public Hall very well indeed!

It has very hard floor boards :-)

All the better for stamping on during election hustings. ;-)

stamping on politicians? :-)