Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Sacha

Default small pice of land required

mich2/5/04 8:08
snip

Now, I only have mains electricity here ( overhead) and it will go out
often. That can be a problem ( especially when some stupid teenager had
driven into the electric sub station and taken out all the electric cables
for miles around - and that has happened to me!).
However, if you live the lifestyle , you expect the cuts and you ahve the
equipment to deal with it.
Its called living.

But not if you have a seriously ill, injured child, teenager, adult at your
door, under your care. Then its potential name is death.
In *this* century most of us would hope to be able to do something to help
such a person.
I'm surprised you accept mains electricity, in fact. A teenager drove into
a substation, taking out the LX for miles around but it happened to YOU.
Only YOU? What - do you suppose - it would have done to someone who was on
a ventilator - but perhaps that's 'living' to you and what the rest of us
would call 'dying'.

Anyone with half a crown's worth of common sense is going to be able to be
in touch with the emergency services at the very least. Here, in Devon, in
some parts of Dartmoor, people have map co-ordinates handy to give to e.g.
fire and ambulance because people are in a panic, a state, a fury of despair
when they have to contact such services. Imagine if they can't contact them
at all but have to watch someone die because they're proud their mobile
'phone doesn't work....and it's all they have. Good thinking. Not.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
mich

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
mich2/5/04 8:08

But not if you have a seriously ill, injured child, teenager, adult at
your
door, under your care. Then its potential name is death.
In *this* century most of us would hope to be able to do something to

help
such a person.

But you have made my point for me Sacha ( although I dont think its what
you are trying to do). If you have children or have to worry about injury
potential death in some way, then isolation is not a lifestyle for you , or
anyone like you.

I'm surprised you accept mains electricity, in fact. A teenager drove

into
a substation, taking out the LX for miles around but it happened to YOU.
Only YOU? What - do you suppose - it would have done to someone who was

on
a ventilator - but perhaps that's 'living' to you and what the rest of

us
would call 'dying'.

I take my chances. Its called living ( and death part of that). I am
not on a ventilator, if I were and it bothered me that much then I would
have to live where electric supplies were not so prone to being cut or
erratic. Same goes for others. if they have the need for the constant
supply, then they should either get a generator or move to a place with a
more stable supply. I have a neighbour a few miles away who doesnt have
mains electric. He has a donkey generator. Personally I prefer the comfort
of overhead mains even if it is erratic sometimes.

I am sorry if that sounds callous but it is a fact, you dont move out into
the isloated moors and then expect all mod cons and telephone and emergency
services to arrive in seven minutes.

I dont expect help from others where I live.

Anyone with half a crown's worth of common sense is going to be able to

be
in touch with the emergency services at the very least. Here, in Devon,

in
some parts of Dartmoor, people have map co-ordinates handy to give to

e.g.
fire and ambulance because people are in a panic, a state, a fury of

despair
when they have to contact such services. Imagine if they can't contact

them
at all but have to watch someone die because they're proud their mobile
'phone doesn't work....and it's all they have. Good thinking. Not.

If its going to happen it will happen. It did in the past. You expect too
much.
You keep your modern world, but dont aske me to join you. I moved here to
get away from it.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Emery Davis

On Sun, 2 May 2004 09:41:40 +0100, "Tumbleweed" said:

[snip]
] Go abroad, I bet what you want can be purchased in Eastern Europe where many
] people are keen to escape the back breaking toil of peasantry and woud be
] very happy to sell to someone who wants to embrace such a lifestyle.
]
]

I was actually going to suggest that you might find what you're looking for
as near as France. Land can still be quite cheap, in many places, compared
to the UK.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "mich" contains these words:

To quote Mr. Crossland " ********".(snip)

Again ********.

It appears Mr Crossland got your measure.

Janet
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Sacha

mich2/5/04 9:42

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
mich2/5/04 8:08

[...]

Oh dear. One can see why.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
mich

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "mich" contains these words:

To quote Mr. Crossland " ********".(snip)

Again ********.

It appears Mr Crossland got your measure.

No, but he got my goat! As you have too. he said that to me , but it
appears I am not allowed to use it here. Double standards opperate in this
group do they.

Its OK for you , but not OK for me. Its OK for you to tell me that we need
services etc. but not OK for me to say I dont need them?

I can respect your view , even if I dont agree with it, why cant you
respect mine?

Janet

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Sacha

Sacha2/5/04 9:40
co.uk

mich2/5/04 9:42

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
mich2/5/04 8:08

[...]

Careless of me - I should have added that one of the first criteria for
living in the country is that you help or look out for your neighbour. In a
real sense, it 'goes with the territory'. In fact, it's paramount. If those
around you adopt your attitude you will be in a very sorry state should you
be the one in need. You may well change your tune but by then we'll never
know, will we? You'll have gasped your last alone because .... everyone
will think it's 'going to happen if it's going to happen'.
I should also have said that you're living some kind of fantasy 'bugger the
rest of you' via a COMPUTER link. You think you're cut off from the rest of
the world and you're announcing this by computer?
Tell us - how many parts of Britain can offer a line via computer but not
for emergency use? Or are you pedalling VERY fast as you type?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
mich

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
mich2/5/04 9:42

Oh dear. One can see why.

No, actually, with respect, you dont see why. You only think , you
assume.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:08 PM
mich

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Sacha2/5/04 9:40

co.uk

Careless of me - I should have added that one of the first criteria for
living in the country is that you help or look out for your neighbour.

Actually I do live in the country ( not a million miles from Claire
actually), and within half an hours travelling distance of you Sacha!
However, i dont have any neighbours as such to look out for. I have
sufficient isolation to be far away and close enough to amenities ( main
roads) to make life comfortable. Thats my choice. its not everyones. I have
neighbours who chose to be further away.
But none of us look out for each other.

You'll have gasped your last alone because .... everyone
will think it's 'going to happen if it's going to happen'.

My father in law died on a council housing estate in the middle of a
large city. No one found him for six weeks Isolation is not necessarily a
country thing. But it was going to happen and it did. His daughter ( the
only one with a key) didnt bother to go and see him.

I should also have said that you're living some kind of fantasy 'bugger

the
rest of you' via a COMPUTER link. the world and you're announcing this

by computer?
Tell us - how many parts of Britain can offer a line via computer but

not
for emergency use? Or are you pedalling VERY fast as you type?

excuse me but I have already acknowledged I have mains electricity most
of the time ( not too many areas where that is not the case these days
actually!), but my electric supply is prone to unannounced cuts at odd times
and for considerable periods when it does go down.

I also have acknowledged ( and someone else highlighted it) I have a land
line which is working more often than not - hence I have to switch my phone
off not to be bothered by callers.

I dont have a mobile signal unless I go to the top of the hill, about a
mile from my home.

I am not totally isolated, although I dont have any very near neighbours
...... and at least one I do have I can do without!
What I have said here all along is I dont need the mod cons that you and
others ( Janet) seem to think are indispensible. I have not been extremist,
just practical. Its you ( and janet) who have pushed the extremest
scenario's, I have responded - if you live the lifestyle , you take the
chances.

I do take my chances in some respects, but I accept the risk.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "mich" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "mich" contains these words:

To quote Mr. Crossland " ********".(snip)

Again ********.

It appears Mr Crossland got your measure.

No, but he got my goat! As you have too. he said that to me , but it
appears I am not allowed to use it here. Double standards opperate in this
group do they.

Its OK for you , but not OK for me.

I haven't used it. You have.

I can respect your view , even if I dont agree with it,

How dishonest of you, again. Responding "********", twice,
demonstrates the opposite of respect for my view.

why cant you respect mine?

Because gutter language and dishonesty don't deserve respect.

Janet
Old 03-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I agree with you. But Mich said the "who cares" stuff, not Victoria. I
think. I am having the same problem when trying to snip correctly. I would
have though the colour of the header name would follow the quoted text but
it seems not to be the case. If I'm wrong I'll plead a 'sorry' in advance!

Colour?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-05-2004, 08:03 AM
mich

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "mich" contains these words:

It appears Mr Crossland got your measure.

Just for the record Janet ( and sacha ) its comments like these and others
I have not pulled out - and I wont embarrass anyone by making attributions
for them :

It appears Mr Crossland got your measure.

Oh dear. One can see why.

Careless of me - I should have added that one of the first criteria for
living in the country is that you help or look out for your neighbour. In
real sense, it 'goes with the territory'. In fact, it's paramount. If
those
around you adopt your attitude

- it would have done to someone who was on
a ventilator - but perhaps that's 'living' to you and what the rest of us
would call 'dying'.

Or are you pedalling VERY fast as you type?

And of course Mr. Crosslands comment to me which was simply "bolocks" -
and I didnt say it to you Janet , I quoted it from him!

All these comments which are supposed to either make me feel guilty and
responsible for other peop-le or simply have a good laugh at my expense (
called sarcasm) are precisely the reasons I chose to leave people behind and
move to realtive "isolation".

People ( including gardeners obviously) can be very hurtful as you have
demonstrated.

I live away from others and take my chances.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Peter Crosland

That of course, is up to you and fine for you. But I think what Janet and
were both trying to say is that ALL of us have some duty towards either

our
neighbours or even the people that care about us. I don't know if you

have
family or close friends but not being able to get in touch with someone

you
care about but live miles from can be v. frightening, even if it's only
because they don't want to answer the 'phone that day. And IMO, the more
isolated an area people live in, the more they might have to help others

or
depend on help from others. Nobody is asking you to give coffee mornings

or
join the whist drive, after all!
We have some elderly neighbours who couldn't do their shopping, get to
routine doctor's appointments or emergency ones without our assistance and
that of others. It doesn't mean we live in each others' pockets nor does

it
mean that we have a 'net curtain' mentality. It *does* mean that we

accept
that all human beings have *some* responsibility for all other human

beings.
But if you choose to refute or avoid that, there's no more to be said. As
you so rightly say, the choice is yours.

Very well said Sacha. In my experience true countrymen (And women before I
am accused of sexism!) always keep an eye open for their neighbours and
their neighbour's animals. To me that is the essence of living in the
country.