Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Gill Hall

Default Heron visit to pond

A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

Many thanks

Gill Hall
Old 02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Gill Hall
writes
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

A lot of pond retail companies sell plastic herons - based on the theory
that herons are territorial, or for a more expensive alternative there's
a device which shoots water. Examples are at http://tinyurl.com/399ze

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 02-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Diane Epps

"Gill Hall" wrote in message
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and

are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

Many thanks

Gill Hall

I believe that you can run a piece of fishing line around the pond at about
4-6 inches off the ground. I am led to believe that the herons like to wade
into the water and this stops them. I have never tried this, as we have a
heronry close by when I built my pond I made it formal with steep sides a
metre deep and have never had a problem. The herons come and look but can't
get at the fish.
Diane

Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Larry Stoter

Diane Epps wrote:

"Gill Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I was speaking to a pond-owner recently and he confirmed that this
method appears to work effectively.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Gloxinia

"Gill Hall" wrote in message
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and

are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

Many thanks

Gill Hall

My neighbours have placed a huge Heron garden ornament next to their pond
.....still have the netting just to make sure but I don't think they have
had any more visits from real one ..

Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 AM
martin

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:33:03 +0000 (UTC), "Gloxinia"
wrote:

"Gill Hall" wrote in message
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and

are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

Many thanks

Gill Hall

My neighbours have placed a huge Heron garden ornament next to their pond
....still have the netting just to make sure but I don't think they have
had any more visits from real one ..

I don't think herons take any notice of garden ornaments or plastic
imitation herons, anymore than strings of CDs frighten away birds. I
frequently see herons standing alongside fisherman, waiting for
rejects. I saw two herons standing patiently on either side of a
fisherman last week.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Bob Hobden

"dave wrote in message after
Gill Hall
writes
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid

and are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

A lot of pond retail companies sell plastic herons - based on the theory
that herons are territorial, or for a more expensive alternative there's
a device which shoots water. Examples are at http://tinyurl.com/399ze

They do work provided they are moved each day, the real Herons aren't
stupid.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Diane Epps
writes
I made it formal with steep sides a
metre deep and have never had a problem. The herons come and look but can't
get at the fish.

You did put a bit of a ramp in it somewhere, didn't you, so that any
animals that climb in it can climb out again?

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
In message , Gill Hall
writes
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

A lot of pond retail companies sell plastic herons - based on the theory
that herons are territorial,

They don't work. A friend of mine had one and a randy male tried to mate
with it and broke it ((((

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:13 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:44:19 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

A lot of pond retail companies sell plastic herons - based on the theory
that herons are territorial,

They don't work. A friend of mine had one and a randy male tried to mate
with it and broke it ((((

Serves the dirty beats right!
Oh! I see what you mean :-)
Old 02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:43:30 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Diane Epps
writes
I made it formal with steep sides a
metre deep and have never had a problem. The herons come and look but can't
get at the fish.

You did put a bit of a ramp in it somewhere, didn't you, so that any
animals that climb in it can climb out again?

If you put a ramp in it the herons will use it.

pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds 16 01-07-2005 08:18 PM
pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds 0 19-06-2005 06:59 PM
pond lights gadgets and Gizmos....please visit my site @ eBay www.eBayelk.com Ponds (alternative) 0 19-06-2005 06:59 PM
Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 37 20-08-2004 12:21 AM
Heron visiting my pond Scott M. Ponds 0 12-08-2004 02:07 PM