Old 05-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Foxes

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

/snip/

Don't try to catch and relocate them yourself, they are town foxes and can't
cope in the countryside and cause more problems there.

Besides, releasing vermin (once trapped) is a criminal offence.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Fudge

Sprinkle a few moth ball about. I have heard they really dislike the
chemical smell.

Farmer John

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

regards

Philip

Old 05-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Dr KubicZirK0nia. Phd

On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:19:07 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Robert4/5/04 7:08
$8hf$1@titan .btinternet.com

Derek Turner wrote:
: On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:23:00 +0000 (UTC), papa
: wrote:
:
:: Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a
:: family of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are
:: creating a mess and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the
:: children out there as I don't know how dangerous they (the foxes
:: that is!!) can be.
::
:: I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal
:: with foxes.
::
:: any suggestions gratefully recieved.
:
: I find an ounce and a half of lead shot travelling at 1200 ft/sec very
: effective. Others prefer 5 grains of lead at 1500 ft/sec but I
: wouldn't use a rifle in a garden ;-). Ask around in the pub, someone
: must have a SGC and would come and shoot them for you.

You are the sort we will ban very soon I hope

Actually you won't, Robert. If you're anti hunting with dogs, that is the
'sort' you will actively encourage.

Actually it will cut yet another deviant pleasure from their lives
though. The kind of wacko pervert who advocates shooting an animal
just because it is there is very likely having much of his hobbies
restricted lately, including having sex with children. Best bet would
be to cull the deviants before worrying about wildlife.

If you don't want wildlife in your garden, concrete the lot over and
live in a bunker or move to a high rise.

There are plenty of animal charities out there that would be happy to
advise, probably not wise to listen to the arseholes here who think
the solution to everything is kill it.

To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch
for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries;
grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Dr KubicZirK0nia. Phd

wrote:

Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

regards

Philip

If you cant live with nature you are really missing out!.

Great place for information is

Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Dr KubicZirK0nia. Phd

wrote:

Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

I find an ounce and a half of lead shot travelling at 1200 ft/sec very
effective. Others prefer 5 grains of lead at 1500 ft/sec but I
wouldn't use a rifle in a garden ;-). Ask around in the pub, someone
must have a SGC and would come and shoot them for you.

Arsehole. Are you even old enough to be allowed in a pub?

Even someone with a shotgun certificate would NOT be able to shoot his
foxes in a small garden in London. Just as well you clearly are
brainless or you could well be dangerous.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Nick Wagg

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

The foxes won't come out while your kids are about.
They aren't dangerous and don't even carry rabies in the UK, yet.

However, I wouldn't want them making a mess in my garden.
If you can locate their den I would drive them away, probably
repeatedly.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Bob Hobden

Pete surprised me when he wrote

Great place for information is

For more information visit John Bryant's website at www.jbryant.co.uk
Or contact Jonhn Bryant, Humane Urban Wildlife Deterrence, 23 Tormount
Road, London SE18 1QD, tel 020 8316 7852.

That's exactly the sort of thing I meant and there are semi-charitable
organisations that do similar work (from memory!) so do contact the RSPCA as
well.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Derek Turner

On Tue, 4 May 2004 17:31:28 +0000 (UTC), papa
wrote:

Try that in south london (SGC or not) and you will find yourself
spread-eagled on the floor surrounded by the flying squad in a matter of
moments. All of whom will be pointing even bigger guns at you. I
would prefer a solution perhaps a little less dramatic and little more
quiet!

Well, yes, if the police were not forewarned that you were doing a
spot of pest control that could even happen in the countryside (at
night, no-one round here turns a hair at gunshot by day: it's 'normal'
as the french would say....) What we find is that a quick call to the
local station by a SGC holder to say 'we're doing a bit of pest
control at xxxx on xxday night' is all that's required to avoid the
SWAT teams!

Two less noisy and less drastic methods that work with rural foxes
(not sure about urban, they may be too used to them) are

1. keep a dog/bitch. they mark their territory and 'charlie' stays
well clear. the only time I have lost chickens to the fox is when
we've been away and the dogs in kennels/with us. quite appart from
which you have the wonderful companionship and unconditional love and
loyalty thrown in!

2. mark your territory yourself! easy if you're male and not
overlooked. recycle a Paul Masson californian wine carafe if not! NB
someone will be round protesting at the waste of perfectly good
compost accelerator before long!

hth
Derek
Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Derek Turner

On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:35:16 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Bob Hobden4/5/04 11:35

snip

Don't try to catch and relocate them yourself, they are town foxes and can't
cope in the countryside and cause more problems there.

Isn't it illegal to do that?

yes it is illegal to release vermin: no-one seems to preosecute the
RSPCA for it, though.

But yes, relocated foxes bring mange to
country foxes.

in that case, bring 'em on!

Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Derek Turner

On Tue, 4 May 2004 18:07:44 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

Foxes won't hurt, they are lovely.

try telling that to my chickens, ****wit

Old 06-05-2004, 03:11 PM

In article , Derek Turner
writes
wrote:

Foxes won't hurt, they are lovely.

try telling that to my chickens, ****wit

Its you that's serving them up a ready meal, don't be an obnoxious twit

--
David
Old 06-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Alan Holmes

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Renadin is suppossed to deter foxes, but it needs replacing fairly
frequently.

They should not be harmful to children, the foxes that is.

Alan

Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 06 May 2004 09:04:26 +0100, Derek Turner wrote:

2. mark your territory yourself! easy if you're male and not
overlooked. recycle a Paul Masson californian wine carafe if not!

I want to protest at the waste of perfectly good compost
accelerator by using it for scent marking.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada