Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Foxes

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 May 2004 17:31:28 +0000 (UTC), papa

[snip]

2. mark your territory yourself! easy if you're male and not
overlooked. recycle a Paul Masson californian wine carafe if not! NB
someone will be round protesting at the waste of perfectly good
compost accelerator before long!

Hey, Derek,
I prefer to drink my wine.
Does DIY territory marking work against cats as well?

Franz

Old 09-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:39:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Hey, Derek,
I prefer to drink my wine.
Does DIY territory marking work against cats as well?

No, I'm not sure that it will work with urban foxes either. After all,
every shop doorway, lift, stairwell and telephone box smells of human
pi^H^H compost accelerator anyway, so they're probably used to it (am
I showing my countrymans' prejudice?)

;-)

Derek.

Old 09-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Stan The Man

In article , Ann
wrote:

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

We have foxes in our garden - they have a den just under a boundary wall. I
have never found them to be aggressive in any way (we don't have small
children however, but we do have cats that they have never confronted or
harmed). They have cubs every year that are a real pleasure to watch as
they play - they also bring us gifts in the form of an assortment of balls -
from footballs to tennis balls - that they bring into the garden to play
with. Yes - they can leave a mess on the lawn but I wouldn't be without my
foxes.

I have a regular visitor around 2-3am most nights. If I'm in my study,
I know when he arrives because he activates the security lights.
Sometimes he comes onto the patio directly outside my French windows
and sniffs around for 5 minutes - very, very close and in bright 500W
lighting. It's wonderful to just be able to sit there and watch him, no
more than 4 ft away. He doesn't seem to mind the light at all - but he
runs off if he sees me moving. Maybe I'll leave some food out for him -
and save someone's chickens. I guess they prefer raw meat? Petfood?

I'm not sure what mess he makes in the garden. We have so many visitors
including badgers, moles and rabbits (the latter perhaps attracting the
fox) but I haven't seen any signs of carnage or lawn damage. What kind
of mess do foxes make?

I do know that our dog usually senses the arrival of the fox and barks
long and loud - but the fox doesn't seem bothered by it.

Stan
Old 15-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

2. mark your territory yourself! easy if you're male and not
overlooked. recycle a Paul Masson californian wine carafe if not! NB
someone will be round protesting at the waste of perfectly good
compost accelerator before long!

You'd do just as well probably if you used the Paul Masson that's in the
carafe: there's not a lot of difference....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 15-05-2004, 10:08 AM
martin

On Sat, 15 May 2004 03:04:50 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

2. mark your territory yourself! easy if you're male and not
overlooked. recycle a Paul Masson californian wine carafe if not! NB
someone will be round protesting at the waste of perfectly good
compost accelerator before long!

You'd do just as well probably if you used the Paul Masson that's in the
carafe: there's not a lot of difference....

.... except in the price.