Old 04-05-2004, 06:04 PM
papa

Default Foxes

Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

regards

Philip

Old 04-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Derek Turner

On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:23:00 +0000 (UTC), papa
wrote:

Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

I find an ounce and a half of lead shot travelling at 1200 ft/sec very
effective. Others prefer 5 grains of lead at 1500 ft/sec but I
wouldn't use a rifle in a garden ;-). Ask around in the pub, someone
must have a SGC and would come and shoot them for you.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Ann

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

We have foxes in our garden - they have a den just under a boundary wall. I
have never found them to be aggressive in any way (we don't have small
children however, but we do have cats that they have never confronted or
harmed). They have cubs every year that are a real pleasure to watch as
they play - they also bring us gifts in the form of an assortment of balls -
from footballs to tennis balls - that they bring into the garden to play
with. Yes - they can leave a mess on the lawn but I wouldn't be without my
foxes.

Ann

Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
papa

Try that in south london (SGC or not) and you will find yourself
spread-eagled on the floor surrounded by the flying squad in a matter of
moments. All of whom will be pointing even bigger guns at you. I
would prefer a solution perhaps a little less dramatic and little more
quiet!

but thanks anyway..

regards

Philip

Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Tumbleweed

"papa" wrote in message
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

any suggestions gratefully recieved.

regards

Philip

Ask 50 people to dress up in red coatsand ride horses around your garden,
whilst blowing trumpets, and bringing their pack of 100 vicious baying
hounds.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Jim

Nice answer Ann. If the OP stays away from the cubs they will enjoy the
company of the fox.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Robert

:
: I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
: foxes.
:
: any suggestions gratefully recieved.
:
: regards
:
: Philip

Foxes won't hurt, they are lovely. I used to feed them here and they would
take it out of my hand. Another curious fact is that cats chase after them,
a most amusing site

Robert
Argyle are top of the league and we are having a laugh
www.pafc.co.uk

Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Robert

: wrote:
:
:: Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a
:: family of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are
:: creating a mess and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the
:: children out there as I don't know how dangerous they (the foxes
:: that is!!) can be.
::
:: I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal
:: with foxes.
::
:: any suggestions gratefully recieved.
:
: I find an ounce and a half of lead shot travelling at 1200 ft/sec very
: effective. Others prefer 5 grains of lead at 1500 ft/sec but I
: wouldn't use a rifle in a garden ;-). Ask around in the pub, someone
: must have a SGC and would come and shoot them for you.

You are the sort we will ban very soon I hope

Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from papa contains these words:

Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

They aren't dangerous; even suave urban foxes don't approach people.
Letting the children out to play is a good way to make sure the foxes
vacate the premises (at least during the day).

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

You could ask the local RSPCA for their advice.

Janet.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote in message ...
Derek Turner wrote:
:
:: Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a
:: family of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are
:: creating a mess and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the
:: children out there as I don't know how dangerous they (the foxes
:: that is!!) can be.
::
:: I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal
:: with foxes.
::
:: any suggestions gratefully recieved.
:
: I find an ounce and a half of lead shot travelling at 1200 ft/sec very
: effective. Others prefer 5 grains of lead at 1500 ft/sec but I
: wouldn't use a rifle in a garden ;-). Ask around in the pub, someone
: must have a SGC and would come and shoot them for you.

You are the sort we will ban very soon I hope

Oh, why, on what grounds would you propose to ban someone shooting vermin?
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Bob Hobden

Philip wrote in message ...
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

Whilst Foxes aren't dangerous in themselves they will catch various animals
and bring them back into your garden, so, like our allotments, you will have
the pleasure of half eaten rats, entrails, assorted bits of meat, etc
adorning your garden. They will also defecate around and they never bury it
like most cats do so that will be another hazard for your kids. Then, being
London foxes they will probably have the Mange which is not nice to see and
even worse for them to experience, it's a slow lingering starvation type
death. (and some people go mad at cats in their gardens!)

Contact the RSPCA and see if they know of an organisation that can help, I
doubt they will themselves, short of funds I'm told - big new office complex
to pay for.

Don't try to catch and relocate them yourself, they are town foxes and can't
cope in the countryside and cause more problems there.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:07 AM

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Philip wrote in message ...
Might anyone have experience of getting rid of foxes? I have a family
of foxes in my (very) small London garden and they are creating a mess
and with summer coming I am reluctant to let the children out there as I
don't know how dangerous they (the foxes that is!!) can be.

I called a couple of companies like rentokill but they don't deal with
foxes.

Whilst Foxes aren't dangerous in themselves they will catch various animals
and bring them back into your garden, so, like our allotments, you will have
the pleasure of half eaten rats, entrails, assorted bits of meat, etc
adorning your garden. They will also defecate around and they never bury it
like most cats do so

Oh look another cat thread:-) "like most cats do" Bob you are either
uninformed or misinformed

that will be another hazard for your kids. Then, being
London foxes they will probably have the Mange which is not nice to see and
even worse for them to experience, it's a slow lingering starvation type
death. (and some people go mad at cats in their gardens!)

Contact the RSPCA and see if they know of an organisation that can help, I
doubt they will themselves, short of funds I'm told - big new office complex
to pay for.

Don't try to catch and relocate them yourself, they are town foxes and can't
cope in the countryside and cause more problems there.

--
David