Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Vicky

Default more strawberries

I have found some wild strawberries growing on an area of land I share with
my neighbours. They are becoming overwhelmed by weeds and I wondered if
there is any mileage to be had in transplanting them somewhere safer - such
as my garden.

As it is, one of my neighbours is likely to start attacking said weeds with
a strimmer shortly. I'd rather he didn't because as long as the brambles
are controlled, it's quite a nice area and a good resource for my newly
found nettle manure. Plus I like the idea of a wildlife patch attached to
my garden but it's a battle I fought and lost a few years ago. So bye bye
butterflies unless you want to come over and visit my budlea. :-(

Vicky

Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:18:43 +0100, "Vicky"
wrote:

I have found some wild strawberries growing on an area of land I share with
my neighbours. They are becoming overwhelmed by weeds and I wondered if
there is any mileage to be had in transplanting them somewhere safer - such
as my garden.

Oh yes, if you love wild strawberries, encourage them. Given a little
TLC they are delicious. But be prepared for them to creep everywhere
in your garden. Easily uprooted if you get too many. I love them.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Kevin Groves

I'm on my second season of alpine strawberries. Small but so amazinly
full of flavour that I don't want those tastless large things you get in
the supermarkets any more.

The seed packet says the plants will produce for around 3-4 years. They
are much larger already this season and have perked up quite a bit. I
think I might start some more off as I lost about a third of last year's
seedlings to either forgetting to water them or when it did rain the
tub(s) didnt have enough drainage and so rotted. I still have around 30
plants, although I still had to give 20 away to family due to space
problems.

Damn fine fruit.

Kev,
Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Kevin Groves contains these words:

I'm on my second season of alpine strawberries. Small but so amazinly
full of flavour that I don't want those tastless large things you get in
the supermarkets any more.

Ah, but if you grow your own full-size strawbs, which are also unlike
the red lumps in supermarkets, you'd get amazing flavour AND a proper
gobfull.

Janet.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Vicky

Ah, but if you grow your own full-size strawbs, which are also unlike
the red lumps in supermarkets, you'd get amazing flavour AND a proper
gobfull.

Janet.

Agreed - but if you want some of those tasteless excuses for strawbs in the
supermarket at the moment, a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar and marinading
in the fridge for a couple of hours brings out some flavour.

I will be transplanting those wild ones at the weekend before they get
strimmed into oblivion. Hope they like seaweed!

Vicky

Old 05-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
Ah, but if you grow your own full-size strawbs, which are also unlike
the red lumps in supermarkets, you'd get amazing flavour AND a proper
gobfull.

Couldn't agree more, Janet.
We started off with a dozen Marshmellows and a dozen Perfection. They both
crop heavily at different times so we get a long season of luscious fruits.
Over time transplanted runners have left us with sixty of each, plus ample
beds for neighbours on both sides.
We also have a few alpines grown from seed and a few wild British strawbs
from the local woods. Both simply torment the taste buds compared with the
orgy of flavour from the Marshmellows and Perfection.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Kevin Groves

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Ah, but if you grow your own full-size strawbs, which are also unlike
the red lumps in supermarkets, you'd get amazing flavour AND a proper
gobfull.

Janet.

I would like to grow the larger ones very much, but I'm trying to fill
the garden with as much as possible and tubs of fruit and veg help move
things around. Also rotating the soil is far more easily than digging up
my lawn.
Kev,