Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default OT - hiding email details on newsgroups

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from "RichardS" noaccess@invalid contains these words:

You might also want to add a signature to your posts containing a munged
email address so that folks genuinely wanting to email you are able
to do so
(that is entirely a personal preference though). It seems to work -
I don't
recall getting any spam addressed to my email contained within my sig.

Actually, it isn't a personal preference - AUP dictates that you should
include in any post a way of replying to it by e-mail.

That applies to emails, Rusty, but I don't think it does to newsgroup
posts ?

Janet

Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Tumbleweed

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these

words:

It may be more powerful but that is definitely at the expense of
ease-of-use. This is from a desktop rather than a server POV. What it

has
got going for it ATM is relative immunity to viruses, partially because

of
how it works and partially because the virus/worm writers dont target

it.

Yet. In fact it has been targeted

You are of course corect, I should have put 'mostly' dont target them.
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 09-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , gary davis
writes
Vicky
Thanks for asking this question...I too needed to know how and I think I
have changed my address so that I have accomplished just that.

Unfortunately, you never know, when you make up an email address,
whether or not there actually is some poor person with that address in
which case they will get all the spam directed at you!!!!!!
Once your address has been harvested, this exercise will be pointless
unless you change your email address - and remember to tell all your
friends.

Better still, email Jon Green and ask for a deadspam account. If you
want Jon Green's email to get a valid 'hidden' address I'll try
and hunt it out for you.

PSS: Have I been successful??? Anyone?

You certainly seem to have been. Now just hope that there is no poor sod
on the internet with that as hisher actual address ((((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-05-2004, 02:07 PM
David Hill

Freeserve have very recently started marking all span, and you can have it
removed without down loading, this has reduced my "Mail" on freeserve from
around 150 items a day down to under 10.
I have moved Mail washer to another address and now have reduced my junk
mail by around 200 items a day.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

Unfortunately, you never know, when you make up an email address,
whether or not there actually is some poor person with that address in
which case they will get all the spam directed at you!!!!!!

The would-be user could try a websearch, or emailing it, to find out
if it belongs to someone else.

Hijacking someone else's legitimate email address to use on usenet,
will be revealed to the owner the first time someone else on a newsgroup
sends a private reply to it. It's a fast and guaranteed way for the
hijacker to get dumped by their own isp.

Janet.