Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Vicky

Default OT - hiding email details on newsgroups

Please could someone explain how I disguise my email details when using
newsgroups? My email address appears to have been harvested from this one
already.

Thanks

Vicky

Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Derek Turner

On Thu, 6 May 2004 09:12:07 +0100, "Vicky"

let's have a look at your headers:

From: "Vicky"

yes, there it is for all to see!

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: OT - hiding email details on newsgroups
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:12:07 +0100

there's one born every minute!
get yourself a decent newsreader client for a start
then in the 'from' field put some thing like '
and in the reply-to field something like vickyversa at yahoo dot
co dot uk which a human can read (and edit) if they need to but a
machine won't recognize.

you MAY be able to do something similar with OE but I can't check as I
wont have that piece of crap on my machine. either way, it's way too
late for the address that's already been harvested.

hth
Derek

Old 06-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Shirl

Hi Vicky

If you are using Outlook Express, go to toolsaccountsand choose your
mail account from the options there and then where it shows your email
address, add some words to the middle of it (take a look at my address) You
would know what words to remove, but the email harvesters arent clever
enough (yet) to unmung the address!

You can put a totally fake address in the box, however its best to just add
a few words that a person can understand so ppl can reply to you if need be.

Hope this is clear lol

Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Jabba

"Vicky" wrote in message
Please could someone explain how I disguise my email details when using
newsgroups? My email address appears to have been harvested from this one
already.

Thanks

Vicky

Vicky,

OT Answer

Assuming you are using IE goto 'Tools' - 'Accounts'. Then select the 'News'
tab. You should then be able to select the news server that you use, click
on 'Properties' and chage your e-mail address to something with a valid
format i.e. , but which is not real.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Vicky

Thanks everyone - done it and I hope it's worked.

Vicky - occasionally brain-dead when it comes to computers!

Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
RichardS

"Vicky" wrote in message
Thanks everyone - done it and I hope it's worked.

Vicky - occasionally brain-dead when it comes to computers!

you might want to rethink that "invalid" address, tho, home.co.uk is a real
domain name, which means that the spammer's mail will probably be delivered
to their servers instead and either bounced or delivered to some unfortunate
with the mail address "vicky" there.

LID

would be a better address that (I think) will be accepted by IE as a valid
email address.

You might also want to add a signature to your posts containing a munged
email address so that folks genuinely wanting to email you are able to do so
(that is entirely a personal preference though). It seems to work - I don't
recall getting any spam addressed to my email contained within my sig.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
biggeordie

On Thu, 6 May 2004 09:38:44 +0100, Vicky unleashed the following:

Thanks everyone - done it and I hope it's worked.

Vicky - occasionally brain-dead when it comes to computers!

You do realise that home.co.uk is a registered domain.

--
*geggie*: 'Just you shut your geggie, pal'
*The Patter - Michael Munro*
Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM

: wrote:
:
: let's have a look at your headers:
:
: From: "Vicky"
:
: yes, there it is for all to see!
:
: Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
: Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:12:07 +0100
:
: there's one born every minute!
: get yourself a decent newsreader client for a start
: then in the 'from' field put some thing like '
: and in the reply-to field something like vickyversa at yahoo dot
: co dot uk which a human can read (and edit) if they need to but a
: machine won't recognize.
:
: you MAY be able to do something similar with OE but I can't check as I
: wont have that piece of crap on my machine. either way, it's way too
: late for the address that's already been harvested.
:
: hth
: Derek
:
You're a happy, helpful little soul aren't you?

A Willwesher

Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Vicky

Oops - try again - thanks Richard

Vicky

Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Vicky
writes
Thanks everyone - done it and I hope it's worked.

Vicky - occasionally brain-dead when it comes to computers!

Vicky, do you work for a firm of online Estate Agents? - If not I think
they may be Very unhappy that you are offering their employee named
Vicky as a sacrificial UCE address. You need to change it an address
which is yours but which you don't read or to an address that really is
false.

Secondly, I think it is useful to actually offer a working Reply-To
address - mine works and receives very little spam (bangs head on wall).

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass

Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
martin

From: "Vicky"

yes, there it is for all to see!

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:12:07 +0100

there's one born every minute!

Are implying that Agent users don't get spam?

get yourself a decent newsreader client for a start

her news reader is not the source of her problem.

then in the 'from' field put some thing like '
and in the reply-to field something like vickyversa at yahoo dot
co dot uk which a human can read (and edit) if they need to but a
machine won't recognize.

you MAY be able to do something similar with OE but I can't check as I
wont have that piece of crap on my machine. either way, it's way too
late for the address that's already been harvested.

She can always dump her current yahoo address and create a new one.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
martin

On Thu, 6 May 2004 10:09:33 +0100, "Vicky"
wrote:

Oops - try again - thanks Richard

Use something like Vicky

was created to suck spam.

news.individual.net which is fussy about these things will accept this
address too.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
martin

wrote:

Oops - try again - thanks Richard

Use something like Vicky

was created to suck spam.

news.individual.net which is fussy about these things will accept this
address too.

BTW Vicky see
http://privacy.net/email/
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Derek Turner

On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:34:58 +0200, martin wrote:

there's one born every minute!

Are implying that Agent users don't get spam?

no, but Agent does allow different 'from' and 'reply-to' settings (not
sure that OE does) what one does with that to avoid spam is another
matter. OE defaults to advertising the real e-mail address to all and
sundry, Agent does not.

get yourself a decent newsreader client for a start

her news reader is not the source of her problem.

the way it 'defaults' to posting the real e-mail address (needed for
the e-mail bit) in its newsreader functions is a contributory factor
here, wouldn't you say?

and learn to snip, there's a good chap.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Matt Barton

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:34:58 +0200, martin wrote:

the way it 'defaults' to posting the real e-mail address (needed for
the e-mail bit) in its newsreader functions is a contributory factor
here, wouldn't you say?

There is no such behaviour. The email and news accounts are separate and
distinct and each have their own settings.

Apart from that you make a good point: it *is* shit.