Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 AM
shannie

Default unusual problem

Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks. Tomatoes are nestling happily in
growbags and we have some canes in to support them. The greenhouse is to be
dismantled and reassembled and all it's contents are to be moved along with
it. However, as we thought we'd be at the end of the season we hadn't
forseen a problem but now we're not so sure. Moving the growbags should be
ok if we slide some timber underneath, but I think they're going to be too
tall with the canes to get through the door. I could take out the big ones
and put in smaller ones for the time being but Im not sure how big the
plants will be in 6 weeks time. Given they are about 12" now (moneymaker)
just getting them through the door could be a problem. I'm for taking out
the canes and using something else, but what else? Ive seen pics of these
'growbag holders' with a trellis like thingy attached (In the greenhouse
expert) but can't find any in any of the Irish garden centres. Any ideas,
suggestions would be most welcome. Oh, and anyone in Ireland looking for
nice cucumber (petita) plants give me a shout Im not going to manage these
this year and have half a dozen looking for a good home.

Thanks as always
Shannie

Old 10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks. Tomatoes are nestling happily in
growbags and we have some canes in to support them. The greenhouse is to be
dismantled and reassembled and all it's contents are to be moved along with
it. However, as we thought we'd be at the end of the season we hadn't
forseen a problem but now we're not so sure. Moving the growbags should be
ok if we slide some timber underneath, but I think they're going to be too
tall with the canes to get through the door. I could take out the big ones
and put in smaller ones for the time being but Im not sure how big the
plants will be in 6 weeks time.

I'd suggest measuring greenhouse door, putting in some canes which will
allow you to get growbag plus canes out (remember to leave enough space
to get fingers underneath so no too tight a fit) and then restricting
growth to that for this year.

Or, you could put tall *and* short canes in, tie plants separately to
both, and if the worst comes to the worst, remove the tall canes leaving
the short ones in place and accept that you'll lose the top truss from
every plant. That way, you still have the full height if for any reason
the move is delayed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Philip

"shannie" wrote in message ...
[...]

Did you consider donating them to the new owners of your house.

Phil
Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Tumbleweed

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker

than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.

snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors. Anyway, chances are the move
will be delayed and the summer over before you move :-)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
shannie

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker

than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.

snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house and gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

Anyway, chances are the move
will be delayed and the summer over before you move :-)

Gosh I hope not, half my furniture's gone already..lol..only reason Im still
here is because one of my children is sitting exams, soon as they're over
we're off to pastures new

Shannie

Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker

than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.

snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house and gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

Well, in that case, demolish the greenhouse to get them out ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Tumbleweed

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed

move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker

than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.

snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at most.

agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house and gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

leave 'em for the builders then.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Franz Heymann

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were

supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much

quicker
than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.

snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at

most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

To vend: to sell

Anyway, chances are the move
will be delayed and the summer over before you move :-)

Franz

Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"shannie" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at

most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house and

gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

Surely you are not giving it away free to whoever is going to build
the road?

Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Tumbleweed

"shannie" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms at

most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house and

gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

Surely you are not giving it away free to whoever is going to build
the road?

Why not, they are people too.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

[...]

Tomatoes. (leaving aside my loathing of Moneymaker....) make tripods of
three short canes and drop a string of gardener's twine (rough green
stuff) to gro-bag level, add about three inches and cut off.

Carefully, tie a thumbknot round the base of the stem, and wind the
twine up the stem to act as a support, and tie it up at the top of the
tripod.

Your tomato can grow out of the top a little, so you don't have to do
this at the last moment.

Also, you can put each gro-bag on a piece of chipboard, MDF, ply or even
hardboard, and for travelling, tie baling twine, gardener's twine under
the gro-bag and tie to the top of the tripod to support it in transit.
(Or Bedford?........)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in

message

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of

toms at
most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.
Oh that it were that easy, there will be no vendors, my house

and
gardens
are to be demolished to make way for a new road

Surely you are not giving it away free to whoever is going to

build
the road?

Why not, they are people too.

What will Shannie then use for money for buying a new house?

Franz

Old 11-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Franz Heymann

.. .

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were

supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much

quicker
than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks.
snip

is the hassle really worth it for maybe a tenners worth of toms

at
most. I
agree, leave as a present for the vendors.

To vend: to sell

Ooopsy :-)

Gotcha. {:-))

Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 08:05 AM
JennyC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

Need lots of suggestions for solving this one please.We were supposed to
move house at the end of this summer but things have gone much quicker than
we thought and we're moving in 4/6 weeks. Tomatoes are nestling happily in
growbags and we have some canes in to support them. The greenhouse is to be
dismantled and reassembled and all it's contents are to be moved along with
it. However, as we thought we'd be at the end of the season we hadn't
forseen a problem but now we're not so sure.

snip

Why do the tomatoes need to stay in the growbags ??

I'd cut the bag into sections with one plant each and repot in large flowerpots.
Then you could easily support each separate plant with canes and you could wrap
each one in strong paper/plastic/cardboard for the journey.

Though I'd probably just leave them myself and buy toms this year :~)

Jenny