Old 14-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Hornets

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?
__________________
Find me and follow me.............
Old 14-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Hornets

On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:56:27 GMT, Lemmonie
wrote:

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

Short answer - no

Long answer - noooo

They look pretty fierce, but they have an undeserved reputation - and
they appear to be quite docile as long as you leave them alone.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/Yoiks.htm

Be philosophical - they beat having crap neighbours hands down.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 14-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Stuart

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

Try having a sarracenia aka North American pitcher plant in your kitchen.
They are very efficient insect catchers, and some are very good at catching
wasps and hornets, especially sarracenia alata or sarracenia leucophylla.
They thrive on sunny windowsills and are pretty easy to grow.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 14-05-2004, 02:09 PM
martin

wrote:

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

jam jar half filled with water will, get them to stay forever.

Short answer - no

Long answer - noooo

They look pretty fierce, but they have an undeserved reputation - and
they appear to be quite docile as long as you leave them alone.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/Yoiks.htm

Be philosophical - they beat having crap neighbours hands down.

What happens if you have both?
Old 14-05-2004, 02:11 PM
martin

On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:47:23 +0100, "Stuart"
wrote:

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

Try having a sarracenia aka North American pitcher plant in your kitchen.
They are very efficient insect catchers, and some are very good at catching
wasps and hornets, especially sarracenia alata or sarracenia leucophylla.
They thrive on sunny windowsills and are pretty easy to grow.

Half a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale in a jam jar has the same effect
and is far easier to propagate.

Old 14-05-2004, 02:12 PM
D Russell

wrote:

I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

Short answer - no

Long answer - noooo

They look pretty fierce, but they have an undeserved reputation - and
they appear to be quite docile as long as you leave them alone.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/Yoiks.htm

Be philosophical - they beat having crap neighbours hands down.

So very true, but at this time of year there's also a lot of last years wasp
queens looking for nesting sites, are you sure it's not just one of those
???
Duncan

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 14-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered User

So very true, but at this time of year there's also a lot of last years wasp
queens looking for nesting sites, are you sure it's not just one of those
???
Duncan

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
[/b][/quote]

Positive, i had them last year too but as i moved in later in the year i didnt really pay too much attention. But they are definitely hornets
__________________
Find me and follow me.............
Old 14-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

Be philosophical - they beat having crap neighbours hands down.

What happens if you have both?

You ring up the BBC pronto, and some pratt comes round and makes a
reality TV show called 'Hornets and Hellraisers from, er Hell' - and
the entire nation turns over to C5 to watch 'Pro-Celebrity
appendectomy' in case one of the Hamiltons is on the slab.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 15-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Scooter

"Lemmonie" wrote in message
s.com...
I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

I made a remarkable discovery about hornets,if you stack up a large PA
system near to their nest & play anything by Motorhead at top volume it
drives them insane & they leave,unfortunately it also had the same effect on
my neighbour who started running around the garden naked with a stick of
celery poking out of his arse muttering weird incantations in an obscure
Peruvian dialect.

Old 15-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Peter Crosland

ROTFLOLPMP and then some!

Old 15-05-2004, 11:07 AM
martin

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:48:14 +0100, "Scooter" Scooter @ Hooter
wrote:

"Lemmonie" wrote in message
ws.com...
I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

I made a remarkable discovery about hornets,if you stack up a large PA
system near to their nest & play anything by Motorhead at top volume it
drives them insane & they leave,unfortunately it also had the same effect on
my neighbour who started running around the garden naked with a stick of
celery poking out of his arse muttering weird incantations in an obscure
Peruvian dialect.

a real petomaine or what?

Old 15-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I can i get them to stay away?

jam jar half filled with water will, get them to stay forever.

Hornets are protected.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Malcolm

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from martin contains these words:

I can i get them to stay away?

jam jar half filled with water will, get them to stay forever.

Hornets are protected.

No, I don't think they have any protection under UK law. However, as
several people have said, they are rarely aggressive and should be left
alone.

--
Malcolm
Old 16-05-2004, 09:12 PM
martin

On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:22:44 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Scooter" Scooter @ Hooter wrote in message

"Lemmonie" wrote in message
s.com...
I have them in my garden. Well, not IN my garden but they do fly into it
and then into my kitchen and they scare the hell out of me.

I can i get them to stay away?

I made a remarkable discovery about hornets,if you stack up a large PA
system near to their nest & play anything by Motorhead at top volume it
drives them insane & they leave,unfortunately it also had the same effect

on
my neighbour who started running around the garden naked with a stick of
celery poking out of his arse muttering weird incantations in an obscure
Peruvian dialect.

ROFL

YELLOW CARD :-)