Old 15-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Vicky

Default Nettle Manu aka I'm in Trouble!

Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family hastily
vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You are NEVER
using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it was
likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure said
site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later and it
still pongs.

And there's a snail lying on his back in the area I fed. He keeps trying to
turn over and then appears to change his mind. Obviously, it's too much for
him too!

Oops!

Vicky

Old 15-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Vicky
writes
Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family hastily
vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You are NEVER
using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it was
likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure said
site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later and it
still pongs.

And there's a snail lying on his back in the area I fed. He keeps trying to
turn over and then appears to change his mind. Obviously, it's too much for
him too!

Nettles make lovely wines and beers, so maybe that snail was a bit
tipsy? :-) From your description, I would say that you have made too
strong an infusion, i.e. either too many nettles or too little water. I
always dilute mine with 50/50 rain-water before applying it to plants.
The only time I've known any smell to hang around was when some had been
used in a closed greenhouse on a hot day :-(

Comfrey is equally as good as nettles for the same job and it carries
less smell. Or you can use a mixture of both leaves.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family hastily
vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You are NEVER
using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it was
likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure said
site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later and it
still pongs.

Yes, it does pong when newly applied, but the results are worth
it.Patience! "Pretty quickly", means the pong wears off in a day, or two
at most.

As for the family..just work out a way to use your new-found power to
your advantage and all will be well next time. Such as "Would you rather
tidy your rooms/clean the oven, or help me decant the nettle manure?"

Janet.

Old 16-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Vicky

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

[...]

I shall be using it late in the evening next time. Even my cat has been
giving me filthy looks - aha - the perfect solution to keeping her off
my newly dug bits of garden. And growbags. She dug up my broad beans
yesterday - howls of sympathy coming from all angles (not)!

Vicky
Old 16-05-2004, 10:20 PM
shazzbat

"Vicky" wrote in message
Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family

hastily
vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You are

NEVER
using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it was
likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure said
site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later and it
still pongs.

What website was that please? I started my first batch off today and I'd
like to check it out.

TIA

Steve

Old 17-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Alan Gould

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spamle
ssness.fsnet.co.uk writes
What website was that please? I started my first batch off today and I'd
like to check it out.

Possibly Vicky meant the urg FAQ 'Nettle Manure' at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Vicky

Possibly Vicky meant the urg FAQ 'Nettle Manure' at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I did indeed. BTW I have been partially vindicated. The day after I used
the nettle manure, we discovered that a nearby pump station had failed and
sewage was seeping out from the tank down our shared drive! Anyway, THAT
revolting problem has been sorted and my next batch of nettle manure has
been started.

I did wonder if it was worth chucking nettles into one of my water butts -
any views on that or am I just asking for trouble with a blocked tap?

Old 17-05-2004, 02:04 PM
shazzbat

"Vicky" wrote in message

Possibly Vicky meant the urg FAQ 'Nettle Manure' at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I did indeed. BTW I have been partially vindicated. The day after I used
the nettle manure, we discovered that a nearby pump station had failed and
sewage was seeping out from the tank down our shared drive! Anyway, THAT
revolting problem has been sorted and my next batch of nettle manure has
been started.

I did wonder if it was worth chucking nettles into one of my water butts -
any views on that or am I just asking for trouble with a blocked tap?

I would say so. Look what it did to the pumping station ;~))

Anyway, ta for the link. Mine isn't smelly yet but it looks kind of
malevolent.

Oh no, hang on that's the wife.

Only joking dear.

Steve.

Old 17-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Vicky vicky@theh
appygardener.sometimes writes

Possibly Vicky meant the urg FAQ 'Nettle Manure' at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I did indeed. BTW I have been partially vindicated. The day after I used
the nettle manure, we discovered that a nearby pump station had failed and
sewage was seeping out from the tank down our shared drive! Anyway, THAT
revolting problem has been sorted and my next batch of nettle manure has
been started.

Good for you - keep it up! :-)

I did wonder if it was worth chucking nettles into one of my water butts -
any views on that or am I just asking for trouble with a blocked tap?

I make mine in a 45 gallon drum. I fill a watering can about half full,
then top that up with rain-water from an adjacent rain butt. It is
better to have plain water available for when plants need it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Franz Heymann

"Vicky" wrote in message
Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family

hastily
vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You

are NEVER
using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it

was
likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure

said
site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later

and it
still pongs.

And there's a snail lying on his back in the area I fed. He keeps

trying to
turn over and then appears to change his mind. Obviously, it's too

much for
him too!

If may go off at a tangent: What is it that is special about nettles
as far as making an infusion is concerned? Can one not just dump
*all* one's green weeds in a barrel of water?

Franz

Old 18-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

"Vicky" wrote in message

Did my first batch of nettle manure. Today, I used it. The family
hastily vacated the garden and are still barely speaking to me beyond "You
are NEVER using that stuff again - EVER!" Although the wesbite warned that it
was likely to be a bit whiffy, I was unprepared. Furthermore, I'm sure
said site claims that the smell goes away pretty quickly. An hour later
and it still pongs.

I did a 50/50 nettle/comfrey mix.

No, it doesn't whiff a little.

It absolutely bloomin' stinks to high heaven.

Still, if it makes the veggies grow and keep the slugs away, I suppose
I can stand it.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"
Old 18-05-2004, 10:16 PM
John Rouse

In article , Vicky vicky@theh
appygardener.sometimes writes

I did wonder if it was worth chucking nettles into one of my water butts -
any views on that or am I just asking for trouble with a blocked tap?

If you do that, put them in an old sack or pillowcase (that should help
you sleep!). Otherwise you end up with a revolting sludge you have to
fish out of the water butt to chuck on the compost.

John
--
John Rouse
Old 23-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Douglas

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

If may go off at a tangent: What is it that is special about nettles
as far as making an infusion is concerned? Can one not just dump
*all* one's green weeds in a barrel of water?

Young nettle leaves break down more quickly, and they have a lower
fibrous content - they are also edible to humans, thus they are
perfectly safe to use on food plants as well as being truly organic.

This year I am using comfrey instead of nettles. Just as good, but they
take a bit longer to biodegrade and they are more fibrous.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

*****************************

My Dad had three big strips of garden which he tilled on a big allotment
area.
Nettles were rife in the field corners but they were never interfered with.
They were part of our diet at Sunday roast dinners. Just like cabbage.
My brothers and father picked them with our bare hands and never got stung.
This is because you take just the top off the nettle stalk with just three
or four leaves on. Our Dad encouraged us to grip the top firmly and pull the
tops off one by one.
The allotment walls were the square grass sods piled hip-high all round the
perimeter. They were quite neat and as time went on the grassy walls
harboured all sorts of small creatures. There was at all times a large sod
compost heap which, when matured after two years was used as humous.
He was helped by a dishevelled tramp who lived in the local Grubber. (
Workhouse).
The allotments were on the diggings of the earth from the Docks when they
were built many years ago. That earth from the docks formed a shape like a
high domed grassy hill and was called Ramsey Island after the local
Dignitary who was responsible for the building of the docks, and the Town.
So, naturally, I and my brothers called him "The Ragged Prince of Ramsey
Island". The stories I could tell about that Gentleman tramp.!
Doug.