Old 30-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

Default My slugs are nuts

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:27:27 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
.. .
Ok, strange one here.

My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach.

How considerate of them. Would they like some salt with it?
I once attempted to distract them on an allottemt by using cress to feed
them. At first it didn't work. And then it did... but by that stage there
wasn't much else left for them )-:

Well, problem is I planted the lettuce (loads and loads of it), hoping
it would keep them away from the rest. There's only two of us, and I
just sowed 4 rows of tightly sown lettuce hoping they'd stay away from
anything else and gorge themselves on lettuce.

Sigh. Now I have loads and loads of lettuce, and no spinach, which I
really really like.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"
Old 30-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:11:43 +0200, martin wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:07:24 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"....... My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach
............."

If this is really such a worry for you then try growing a different variety
of lettuce

You need an awful lot of spinach to make a meal, I'd let them get on
with the spinach and be glad they aren't interested in lettuce.

But I like spinach! That's why I sowed lots and lots of lettuce.

Old 30-05-2004, 01:28 PM
martin

wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
. ..
Ok, strange one here.

My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach.

How considerate of them. Would they like some salt with it?
I once attempted to distract them on an allottemt by using cress to feed
them. At first it didn't work. And then it did... but by that stage there
wasn't much else left for them )-:

Well, problem is I planted the lettuce (loads and loads of it), hoping
it would keep them away from the rest. There's only two of us, and I
just sowed 4 rows of tightly sown lettuce hoping they'd stay away from
anything else and gorge themselves on lettuce.

Sigh. Now I have loads and loads of lettuce, and no spinach, which I
really really like.

How much spinach did you plant?
Old 30-05-2004, 01:29 PM
martin

wrote:

"....... My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach
............."

If this is really such a worry for you then try growing a different variety
of lettuce

You need an awful lot of spinach to make a meal, I'd let them get on
with the spinach and be glad they aren't interested in lettuce.

But I like spinach! That's why I sowed lots and lots of lettuce.

Shouldn't you have sowed vast quantities of spinach too?
Old 30-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
Ok, strange one here.

My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach.

How considerate of them. Would they like some salt with it?
I once attempted to distract them on an allottemt by using cress to feed
them. At first it didn't work. And then it did... but by that stage there
wasn't much else left for them )-:

Well, problem is I planted the lettuce (loads and loads of it), hoping
it would keep them away from the rest. There's only two of us, and I
just sowed 4 rows of tightly sown lettuce hoping they'd stay away from
anything else and gorge themselves on lettuce.

Sigh. Now I have loads and loads of lettuce, and no spinach, which I
really really like.

How much spinach did you plant?

4 rows, tightly spaced, a whole packet full. They got them just as
soon as leaves started appearing. Now I have 3 plants left with I've
just left, as it seems to distract the slugs from other plants, and
they're about to bloom at the moment. No use for eating, but at least
they can be the distraction now.

Old 30-05-2004, 05:13 PM
JennyC

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote

Sigh. Now I have loads and loads of lettuce, and no spinach, which I
really really like.

Heres a recipe that should gte rid of some of them :~)

Braised Lettuce Soup.

Blanch twenty young lettuces; let them cool, and squeeze
out the water ; divide each in two without entirely separating,
season them slightly with pepper and salt ; fold them up
again, and arrange them in a stew-pan containing a ladleful of
veal stock (No.2) and one of beef broth (No.1), a small bunch of
parsley, with a clove, a piece of bay-leaf and thyme, an onion,
and a small carrot ; cover them with a sheet of buttered
paper, and let them boil gently for ·two hours ; drain them on
a napkin ; trim them neatly ; cut each in t-vo, and place
them in the tureen with small crusts prepared as usual.
When serving, pour in the broth, to which add the liquor
from the lettuces ; but the bunch of herbs boiled with them-
should afford no high degree of flavour.

Jenny

Old 30-05-2004, 06:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:56:04 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote

[...]

enough lettuce for about 20 pans of BBC lettuce soup?

Ingredients

2 slices parma ham, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
290ml/˝ pint chicken stock
1 little gem lettuce, sliced
150ml/5fl oz double cream
splash of Tobasco sauce

Method

1. Fry the parma ham in the oil for two minutes.
2. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
3. Blend in a food processor.
4. Pour into a bowl and serve.

More ways of using lettuce here ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/s...size=15&Id=226

http://www.artshost.net/garden2/recipes/lettuce.html

Of course what is really required is a recipe for slug stuffed with
spinach in lettuce soup
Old 30-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Why not try boiling the lettuce?

Franz

Old 31-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Braised Lettuce Soup.(snip)

Blanch twenty young lettuces(snip) let them boil gently for two hours

Ohmigod. Two hours???? !!!!!!!!!!!! Yuck.

Pea and lettuce soup.

Soften-till-clear some very thinly sliced onion in butter; add a
couple of washed chopped lettuce, some chopped mint, a small pkt of
frozen peas, enough good chicken stock to barely cover, and seasoning.
Simmer for 15 mins. Liquidise. Adjust seasoning, thin if required with
more stock or cream. Serve hot or chilled.

Janet.

Old 31-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Gwenhyffar Milgi contains these words:

How much spinach did you plant?

4 rows, tightly spaced, a whole packet full. They got them just as
soon as leaves started appearing. Now I have 3 plants left with I've
just left, as it seems to distract the slugs from other plants, and
they're about to bloom at the moment.

If you grow spinach tight-spaced very close together like that, you're
making a moist green shelter from sun and predators, which is just the
thing to attract slugs. Also,crowding in their early life could be the
reason your spinach has bolted into flower so soon.

You might do better if you sow a single row, thinly, with a good space
either side of the row, and as soon as possible thin out the plants to
6" apart (don't bother replanting the ones you pull out, the stress will
make them bolt).

Janet

Old 31-05-2004, 11:23 AM
martin

wrote:

[...]

or using the lettuce to feed rabbits and roasting them?
Old 31-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

You might do better if you sow a single row, thinly, with a good space
either side of the row, and as soon as possible thin out the plants to
6" apart (don't bother replanting the ones you pull out, the stress will
make them bolt).

Use them in a salad instead.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Nick Wagg

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
Ok, strange one here.

My slugs are ignoring the lettuce and instead eating the spinach.

Perhaps they are anaemic and need the iron.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

Well, I gave up on the spinach and sowed a new set. This time further
apart.

However, I also got a handy tip from someone at the local bootfair
where I buy the herbs that I don't grow myself (they had some lovely
borage and pineapple mint that I couldn't resist), namely orange
peels. In their experience, the slugs love orange peels so much that
they will ignore anything else. So that's something I'm going to try!

In the mean time, we'll be eating lots of salads this summer ggg

Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

Well, I gave up on the spinach and sowed a new set. This time further
apart.

However, I also got a handy tip from someone at the local bootfair
where I buy the herbs that I don't grow myself (they had some lovely
borage and pineapple mint that I couldn't resist), namely orange
peels. In their experience, the slugs love orange peels so much that
they will ignore anything else. So that's something I'm going to try!

In the mean time, we'll be eating lots of salads this summer ggg

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"

Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM
bunya nuts John Savage Australia 11 08-03-2003 07:57 PM
Large Wooden Nuts Steve United Kingdom 9 09-12-2002 08:00 PM