Old 07-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Rod

Default cleaning waterbutt

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:44:11 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from Rod contains these words:

I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it.

Oh. I specially use rainwater for new seedlings, to spare than the
chemical contents of our tapwater.
:~}

Janet.

One of the joys of this place is the Estate's own creaking water
supply. A spring from the limestone, so it's as hard as hell. - death
to kettles and water heaters but it makes a good cuppa and nothing in
it to bother plants. Wouldn't even think of trying to use it
(untreated) for mist propagation, the jets would block instantly and
the pH of the rooting media would hit the roof.
Weed my email address to reply.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Klara

In message , Rod
writes
One of the joys of this place is the Estate's own creaking water
supply. A spring from the limestone, so it's as hard as hell. - death
to kettles and water heaters but it makes a good cuppa and nothing in
it to bother plants. Wouldn't even think of trying to use it
(untreated) for mist propagation, the jets would block instantly and
the pH of the rooting media would hit the roof. Weed my email address
to reply.

Did you see this, a couple of days ago?

"Drinking hard water may protect against heart disease, researchers have
claimed.
Researchers from the Geographical Survey of Finland looked at 19,000 men
who had suffered heart attacks.
They found for every unit increase in water hardness, there was a 1%
decrease in the risk of having a further attack.
Writing in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the
researchers said the findings explained regional variations in heart
attack rates.
They said the differences of up to 40% between areas could not be
explained solely by lifestyle or genetic factors"

Now there's a new meaning to imbibing the hard stuff!

(Hope you're feeling better, by the way!)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 08-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message
.. .
The message
from "Beware I am a spaz." , also posting as AMBER

ORMEROD,
contains these words:

most people just seem to ignore my posts anyhow so it makes no

difference.

My newsreader shows there were plenty of helpful answers to your
questions. It is normal to receive replies from *some* people; not from
"most".

I didn't say that.
I have asked quite a few questions with no answers at all.

That happens. I doubt whether it's personal. I don't answer questions if
I don't know the answer, and I sometimes don't answer questions if I've
seen them so many times I've got bored with them, and sometimes I don't
answer questions because I'm not in the mood. I expect other people are
the same.

I wasn't. I was just figuring that if people don't want to answer or don't
like how i edit they ignore it and that was always going to happen no matter
how I edited.

Old 08-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Kay

In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

most people just seem to ignore my posts anyhow so it makes no
difference.

snip

I wasn't. I was just figuring that if people don't want to answer or don't
like how i edit they ignore it and that was always going to happen no matter
how I edited.

OK, I get you now.

I suppose that leads to two strategies:

a) edit in the same way as the majority and get lots of answers
b) decide who is most likely to give a useful answer to your question,
and edit the same way as they do

The two approaches might not lead to the same conclusion ;-)

--
Kay

Old 08-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message
The message
from "Beware I am a spaz." , also posting as AMBER

ORMEROD,
contains these words:

most people just seem to ignore my posts anyhow so it makes no

difference.

My newsreader shows there were plenty of helpful answers to your
questions. It is normal to receive replies from *some* people; not

from
"most".

I didn't say that.
I have asked quite a few questions with no answers at all.

If you wish i could put a beware spaz
warning on the top of my posts, ohhh sorry we are not allowed to

top
post
are we?

How you post is entirely up to you. Any poster can ignore

anything they
find tiresome.

so why not just ignore badly edited messages?

I forget
someone already answered what GQT ment so having to read the

answer
twice is
anoying too.

I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you in that way, it won't happen

again.

I just don't see why it matters
there are tops posters

They mess up the logical flow of a thread in which more tha two
persons are participating, and one cannot predict how many folk will
join in, so it is better all round to stick to the old netiquette rule
which says the one should post "in-line".

or non editors all over the place why does it matter?

Leaving a long thread totally unedited is an excellent way of putting
readers off what might otherwise be an interesting thread.

its bad enough in this group with all the cat haters to not start on

the
crap editors too.

You would find it so much easier to play the game by the rules.

Franz

Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Janet Baraclough..

wrote:

The message
from Rod contains these words:

I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it.

Oh. I specially use rainwater for new seedlings, to spare than the
chemical contents of our tapwater.

One of the joys of this place is the Estate's own creaking water
supply. A spring from the limestone, so it's as hard as hell. - death
to kettles and water heaters but it makes a good cuppa and nothing in
it to bother plants.

Lucky you! Ours is a public supply from a limestone borehole, but
because our house is very close downstream from the water-treatment
works, we get a super-strong dose of chlorine. Even the pets prefer
drinking rainwater.

Janet.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay wrote in
:

I suppose that leads to two strategies:

a) edit in the same way as the majority and get lots of answers
b) decide who is most likely to give a useful answer to your question,
and edit the same way as they do

The two approaches might not lead to the same conclusion ;-)

If no answers at all, most likely strategy to get answers could be:

c) ask easier questions !

Victoria
Old 08-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Rod

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:02:03 +0100, Klara wrote:

Did you see this, a couple of days ago?

"Drinking hard water may protect against heart disease, researchers have
claimed.
Researchers from the Geographical Survey of Finland looked at 19,000 men
who had suffered heart attacks.
They found for every unit increase in water hardness, there was a 1%
decrease in the risk of having a further attack.
Writing in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the
researchers said the findings explained regional variations in heart
attack rates.

I was told of anecdotal evidence to that effect many years ago so I
thought I was immortal didn't I? :-)

(Hope you're feeling better, by the way!)

Thanks for asking. It's quite a long story that doesn't belong on here
but yes they found the problem and gave me the right treatment so my
chances of having another heart attack are no more than anyone else
of my age and I feel fantastic thanks. Itching to get back to work, in
fact I've been in this week covering for a guy on holiday and I've
enjoyed it. Got this winters Cyclamen into their final pots this
afternoon so we're back on topic. Found the painters had dismantled my
rainwater collection system and the young Rhodos & Meconopsis in the
shade house were getting flooded so I fixed that and the tanks are all
full again now.
Weed my email address to reply.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

Lucky you! Ours is a public supply from a limestone borehole, but
because our house is very close downstream from the water-treatment
works, we get a super-strong dose of chlorine. Even the pets prefer
drinking rainwater.

What do you mean 'even the pets'! Every cat I have known has preferred
drinking from the toilet bowl to anything else anyone has offered.
--
Kay

Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes

Lucky you! Ours is a public supply from a limestone borehole, but
because our house is very close downstream from the water-treatment
works, we get a super-strong dose of chlorine. Even the pets prefer
drinking rainwater.

What do you mean 'even the pets'!

Every cat I have known has preferred
drinking from the toilet bowl to anything else anyone has offered.

I've never had a cat (or dog) who did that; probably because the lids
are shut.

Janet.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes

Lucky you! Ours is a public supply from a limestone borehole, but
because our house is very close downstream from the water-treatment
works, we get a super-strong dose of chlorine. Even the pets prefer
drinking rainwater.

What do you mean 'even the pets'!

Every cat I have known has preferred
drinking from the toilet bowl to anything else anyone has offered.

I've never had a cat (or dog) who did that; probably because the lids
are shut.

I'm the only female in a house full of males. Getting the seat left down
is a triumph, never mind the lids!
--
Kay

Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes

Lucky you! Ours is a public supply from a limestone borehole, but
because our house is very close downstream from the water-treatment
works, we get a super-strong dose of chlorine. Even the pets prefer
drinking rainwater.

What do you mean 'even the pets'! Every cat I have known has preferred
drinking from the toilet bowl to anything else anyone has offered.

Ours prefers water from the birdbath................
Jenny :~)

Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Every cat I have known has preferred
drinking from the toilet bowl to anything else anyone has offered.

I've never had a cat (or dog) who did that; probably because the lids
are shut.

I'm the only female in a house full of males. Getting the seat left down
is a triumph, never mind the lids!

Me too, but I managed to din that one in. I could never persuade any
of them to close the bathroom door though :-(, so we have auto-closers
fitted, which keep the pets out and the feng shui in.

Janet