Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Sacha

Default clover in lawn

On 19/7/04 20:21, in article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,
Howard Neil writes

Before you start making up your own definitions, I suggest that you have
a read of:-

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/appendices.asp?id=744

Which gives:
-----------
Pesticide
Any substance, preparation or organism prepared or used for controlling
any pest. A pesticide product consists of one or more active substances
co-formulated with other materials. Formulated pesticides exist in many
forms, such as solid granules, powders or liquids.
-----------

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Howard Neil

Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/04 20:21, in article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

In article ,
Howard Neil writes

Before you start making up your own definitions, I suggest that you have
a read of:-

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/appendices.asp?id=744

Which gives:
-----------
Pesticide
Any substance, preparation or organism prepared or used for controlling
any pest. A pesticide product consists of one or more active substances
co-formulated with other materials. Formulated pesticides exist in many
forms, such as solid granules, powders or liquids.
-----------

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Which is, in turn, a pesticide.

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

--
Howard Neil
Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Sacha

On 19/7/04 21:57, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Which is, in turn, a pesticide.

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary

snip

I was sure that you would. The government obliteration of 'common sense'
has readily seized upon your life, it seems.

Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Kay

In article , BAC
writes

None of the above. The purpose was twofold. First, to elicit responses
leading to a better understanding of what you and others of similar opinion
were driving at (and why), and secondly to suggest why it is not perhaps
surprising if such advice fosters resentment in some quarters. I'm sorry if
you were stung by my remarks, that was not my intention.

Fair enough. It'll teach me to keep my nose out of other people's
arguments ;-)

--
Kay

Old 22-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Howard Neil

Sacha wrote:

On 19/7/04 21:57, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Which is, in turn, a pesticide.

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary

snip

I was sure that you would. The government obliteration of 'common sense'
has readily seized upon your life, it seems.

You seem to be a bit of a control freak. You have invented your own
definitions and woe betide anyone who disagrees with you. For your
information, the definition of "pesticide" that I gave you is in use
around the world. It is not the invention of "the government". There is
no "common sense" in having your own definitions. In fact, when it comes
to pesticides, that can be downright dangerous.

--
Howard Neil

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Alan Gould

In article , BAC
writes

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

By means of a herbicide, not a pesticide. A selective herbicide at that
which would not harm his grass. Grass too may or may not be seen as an
welcome plant depending on the circumstances, but it is not a pest.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes
That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Yes, but not one which affected grass.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Alan Gould

In article ,
Howard Neil writes

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

That is Govt. agri-speak. In urg, recreational gardening terms are used.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Organic gardening is not the be-all and end-all of gardening, and
clover is not the only plant which is a pest under certain
circumstances. Alchemilla mollis is a pest in my garden, as is moss.
There are gardens in which Japanese Knotweed is a pest.
Please read my other posts on the definition of the term "pesticide".

I already have.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,
Howard Neil writes

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as

above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

That is Govt. agri-speak.

No. Since my last post on the issue, I have found 14 references to
the effect that a herbicide is a pesticide, and none to the contrary.

In urg, recreational gardening terms are used.

Sometimes some urglers use wrong terms. We are discussing an instance
of that.

Franz

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Organic gardening is not the be-all and end-all of gardening, and
clover is not the only plant which is a pest under certain
circumstances. Alchemilla mollis is a pest in my garden, as is

moss.
There are gardens in which Japanese Knotweed is a pest.
Please read my other posts on the definition of the term

"pesticide".

I already have.

Now all you need is to apply some comprehension to what you read.
{:-((
The score is now 14 - 0 references in favour of classing a herbicide
as a pesticide.

Franz

Franz

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
BAC

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 19/7/04 20:21, in article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, indeed, if he wished to use a poison to remove the unwanted plant
(pest) he would be wasting his time if it was not of the sub-classification
herbicide, and, preferably, one which was actually likely to be effective on
'his' clover. So, the classification might be - poison; pesticide;
herbicide; clovericide :-)

Don't we have sufficient problems with taxonomy of plants?

Old 22-07-2004, 01:05 AM
BAC

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , BAC
writes

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

By means of a herbicide, not a pesticide. A selective herbicide at that
which would not harm his grass. Grass too may or may not be seen as an
welcome plant depending on the circumstances, but it is not a pest.

I agree that a person wishing to use poison to kill clover in lawns would be
advised to use a selective herbicide, but not that the terms herbicide and
pesticide are mutually exclusive, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Cars, buses, taxes, trains, and trams are all different, and are customarily
used to meet different needs, but they are all passenger vehicles - even
when they are not actually carrying passengers. Similarly, poisons intended
to kill organisms for pest control purposes are all pesticides, even though
the nature of the pests may be very different. And, fortunately, it is not
mandatory to use a pesticide just because one encounters a 'pest' :-)