Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

Default clover in lawn

In article , BAC
writes

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

By means of a herbicide, not a pesticide. A selective herbicide at that
which would not harm his grass. Grass too may or may not be seen as an
welcome plant depending on the circumstances, but it is not a pest.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes
That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Yes, but not one which affected grass.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article ,
Howard Neil writes

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

That is Govt. agri-speak. In urg, recreational gardening terms are used.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Organic gardening is not the be-all and end-all of gardening, and
clover is not the only plant which is a pest under certain
circumstances. Alchemilla mollis is a pest in my garden, as is moss.
There are gardens in which Japanese Knotweed is a pest.
Please read my other posts on the definition of the term "pesticide".

I already have.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,
Howard Neil writes

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as

above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

That is Govt. agri-speak.

No. Since my last post on the issue, I have found 14 references to
the effect that a herbicide is a pesticide, and none to the contrary.

In urg, recreational gardening terms are used.

Sometimes some urglers use wrong terms. We are discussing an instance
of that.

Franz

Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Organic gardening is not the be-all and end-all of gardening, and
clover is not the only plant which is a pest under certain
circumstances. Alchemilla mollis is a pest in my garden, as is

moss.
There are gardens in which Japanese Knotweed is a pest.
Please read my other posts on the definition of the term

"pesticide".

I already have.

Now all you need is to apply some comprehension to what you read.
{:-((
The score is now 14 - 0 references in favour of classing a herbicide
as a pesticide.

Franz

Franz

Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
BAC

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 19/7/04 20:21, in article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,
Howard Neil writes

Before you start making up your own definitions, I suggest that you

have
a read of:-

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/appendices.asp?id=744

Which gives:
-----------
Pesticide
Any substance, preparation or organism prepared or used for controlling
any pest. A pesticide product consists of one or more active substances
co-formulated with other materials. Formulated pesticides exist in many
forms, such as solid granules, powders or liquids.
-----------

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

And needed a HERBicide. ;-))

Yes, indeed, if he wished to use a poison to remove the unwanted plant
(pest) he would be wasting his time if it was not of the sub-classification
herbicide, and, preferably, one which was actually likely to be effective on
'his' clover. So, the classification might be - poison; pesticide;
herbicide; clovericide :-)

Don't we have sufficient problems with taxonomy of plants?

Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
BAC

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , BAC
writes

That Govt. definition is not relevant to this thread because clover is
not considered to be a pest in organic gardening.

But it was by the OP, who wanted rid of it?

By means of a herbicide, not a pesticide. A selective herbicide at that
which would not harm his grass. Grass too may or may not be seen as an
welcome plant depending on the circumstances, but it is not a pest.

I agree that a person wishing to use poison to kill clover in lawns would be
advised to use a selective herbicide, but not that the terms herbicide and
pesticide are mutually exclusive, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Cars, buses, taxes, trains, and trams are all different, and are customarily
used to meet different needs, but they are all passenger vehicles - even
when they are not actually carrying passengers. Similarly, poisons intended
to kill organisms for pest control purposes are all pesticides, even though
the nature of the pests may be very different. And, fortunately, it is not
mandatory to use a pesticide just because one encounters a 'pest' :-)

Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 19/7/04 9:37, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

[...about 'pesticide' etc...]

This is a question of usage. Everybody's right, but in different ways.

My own mind clearly distinguishes pests, diseases, and weeds; and I'm
generally very fussy about words. But it seems perfectly reasonable
for the controlling government department to select a term which shall
be deemed to include non-mechanical controls for all three. We laugh
at them when they use great big heavy phrases instead of a simple
familiar word or two.

Weeds _are_ a 'pest' in one recognized sense; and I don't really think
that classifying a herbicide as a 'pesticide' for the purposes of
regulation will cause the unwary to spray the greenfly with
glyphosate. But it does simplify the rules about toxic products, and
that's a good thing.

Mike.

Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
hugh

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

Sorry about that - I use the term 'pesticides' to include

herbicides,
insecticides, fungicides, etc. I don't think I'm alone in that,

but
apologise for any confusion. In this context, I meant weedkiller,
specifically one not fatal to lawn grass.

You are correct in your use of the term "pesticide". It is a

general
term that includes herbicides, insecticides and fungicides. Weed

killer
is a herbicide which then means that it is a pesticide.

You may use it in that way but nobody else I know does so.

Herbicide is not
pesticide. We do not use pesticides on this nursery but very

occasionally
we use herbicides. As we use biological controls in the

greenhouses, the
difference is very marked and it would be sloppy to encourage people

to use
'pesticides' when one might mean 'herbicides', IMO.

According to the Encyclopedia Brittanica, a pesticide is "any toxic
substance used to kill animals or plants that cause economic damage to
crop or ornamental plants or are hazardous to the health of domestic
animals or humans." It goes on in a vein which *explicitly* includes
herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and fumigants.

Herbicides are therefore included in the term "pesticide".

Franz

Not according to the Oxford Dictionary.
--
hugh
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
hugh

In message , BAC
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , BAC
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , BAC
writes

If that is your philosophy, then, presumably, you are also careful not

grow in your garden any alien or hybrid plants (including most

clovers)
which might escape into the wild, hence risking 'damaging' the

diversity
of
the countryside?

You seem to be saying that, unless one embraces a totally 'green'
lifestyle, one should encourage a total disregard for the environment.

I certainly did not say that, nor did I imply it. You said that gardens

and
nature were interlinked and implied that gardeners should not act in a
manner which put at risk the 'diversity of our countryside'. I was

enquiring
whether your belief that use of fertilisers and pesticides for

recreational
purposes could not be justified, for that reason, also extended to the
growing of non-native plants for recreational purposes.

Although you did not directly answer my question, I assume from your
response the answer is no, it doesn't.

I also assume from your response that you feel entitled to exercise your

own
judgement as to what is and what is not reasonable for you to forego in

the
name of preservation of 'the environment', and that you might resent your
decision in the matter being criticised by people who draw their own line

on
the subject in a different place. Rightly so, IMO.

I think he actually wants to dictate where everyone's line is drawn. As
far as I am concerned, the only studies I have ever seen on the subject
of excess nutrients in waterways have laid the blame firmly at the door
of agriculture. If someone can produce evidence to the contrary or scale
the level of damage due to *excess* use in domestic gardening I may
change my position. Until then I will continue to use modest amounts of
fertiliser and weedkillers on the area of grass in front of my house to
maintain it as I like it.

Sounds perfectly reasonable and responsible to me. It's your garden, and you
have the right to make up your own mind about what you want to grow there
and how you should maintain it. Even 'conservation' organisations like the
Woodland Trust make judicious use of weedkiller in their woodlands.

Incidentally, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use pesticides on a
lawn.

Sorry about that - I use the term 'pesticides' to include herbicides,
insecticides, fungicides, etc. I don't think I'm alone in that, but
apologise for any confusion. In this context, I meant weedkiller,
specifically one not fatal to lawn grass.

That's OK. I've never defined it that way. Makes a bit of sense then.
--
hugh
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
hugh

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/7/04 9:37, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

[...]

If you have a nursery, I am very surprised at your lack of

knowledge.
Have a look at the definition of herbicide given he-

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/appendices.asp?id=744

And I am not at all surprised at your rudeness - unfortunately.

Pesticides
kill pests, herbicides kill vegetation. It doesn't take some

government
mandarin who wouldn't recognise a pair of wellingtons if they bit

him, to
tell anyone that.
Tell a new gardener that a herbicide is a pesticide and he will make

a very
poor choice when shopping for his requirements.

No. You are unfortunately quite wrong. It is not your prerogative to
redefine technical terms which have a prior definition.
I have now found 9 separate references, originating in the UK and in
the USA, including Encyclopedia
Brittanica and Wikipedia in which herbicides are defined as
pesticides, and none, except you, which claim the opposite.

Franz

OED
--
hugh
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Franz Heymann

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

[...]

Then the score becomes 14 - 1 in favour of regarding a herbicide as a
pesticide. The 14 come from horticultural and scientific atricles and
the 1 from the OED. The OED is not very reliable about scientific
definitions. It has seriously incorrect entries for "proton",
"electron", "neutron" and "meson", just for starters.

Franz

Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:14:40 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 19/7/04 9:37, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

[...]

Franz has my copy :-(

OD of current English has an "etc." in it's definition of pesticide.
--
Martin