Old 24-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Shirl

Default Greenhouse glass?

Hello

My partner is building us a hardwood greenhouse. He's a dab hand at the
building side of things but we have no experience of types of glass to use
so I wondered if anyone could give us suggestions please, including ideas on
costs for a 8ft x 6ft house?

I've looked around at a few sites and it seems that horticultural glass is
popular with wooden greenhouses however these are very expensive to buy but
they dont say why they are 'better'

Thanks

Old 24-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Shirl" contains these words:

Hello

My partner is building us a hardwood greenhouse. He's a dab hand at the
building side of things but we have no experience of types of glass to use
so I wondered if anyone could give us suggestions please, including ideas on
costs for a 8ft x 6ft house?

I've looked around at a few sites and it seems that horticultural glass is
popular with wooden greenhouses however these are very expensive to buy but
they dont say why they are 'better'

Aluminium frames lose more heat from the GH than wooden ones, but can
last indefinitely with no maintenance and are very easy to scrub clean
(necessary for plant hygiene). Wooden frames in the humid atmosphere of
a GH, are vulnerable to rot and insects etc so will need retreating with
paint or preservative throughout their lives, even if they are hardwood.
Remember to build in lots of adjustable ventilation.

Horticultural glass is the cheapest. When broken it makes sharp
shards. Some of the better quality GH manufacturers offer safety glass,
more expensive, but preferred by some people for the extra protection
should dogs or children run into it.

Janet

Old 24-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Shirl
writes
Hello

My partner is building us a hardwood greenhouse. He's a dab hand at the
building side of things but we have no experience of types of glass to use
so I wondered if anyone could give us suggestions please, including ideas on
costs for a 8ft x 6ft house?

The cheapest option will be horticultural glass, this is nothing fancy,
just cheap ordinary glass - it is the normal glass found in greenhouses.

If your are concerned about the problems of glass breaking, safety etc.
then you can use toughed glass, this is lot more expensive.

As to costs, well the last time I bought a standard 2 foot square bit of
horti glass it was a bout 3 GBP or so - presumably if getting enough for
a GH you could negotiate a better price - you can get this from your
local glass suppliers.

If building my own, I'd consider a way of making it easy to attach
insulation in winter. If you had space to store it panels of twin wall
plastic would be good.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 25-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Shirl

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Thankyou, very informative answers, just what I was looking for!

Have to say i'd never thought about the cleaning side of things, I will need
something that can be easily looked after.

Will certainly look into the insulation side too. Next year i'd like to
start all my plants from seeds and being able to put them into the
greenhouse will be a good benefit, im fed up of having to have plants
fighting for light through the windows.

Thankyou again

Old 25-07-2004, 09:45 PM
David Hill

Have you thought of using either twin walled or triple walled poly carb?
It has a built in strength and a lot less weight than glass so requires a
lot fewer glazing bars, It will give you very good insulation, and is
unbreakable under most circumstances.
Whilst the initial cost is more than glass the extra is soon recovered by
the saving in heating costs.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Shirl

"David Hill" wrote in message
Have you thought of using either twin walled or triple walled poly carb?
It has a built in strength and a lot less weight than glass so requires a
lot fewer glazing bars, It will give you very good insulation, and is
unbreakable under most circumstances.
Whilst the initial cost is more than glass the extra is soon recovered by
the saving in heating costs.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Thanks David

I did look at the polycarbonate option but wasnt impressed with the look of
it, maybe there is different grades but the one I saw was very cheap
looking. Another thought, my greenhouse site will only be in the sun from
about 1pm onwards, and im not sure that polycarb would let as much light
through?

Old 26-07-2004, 10:05 AM
David Hill

polycarb does let in a little less light than glass but this is more than
made up for by the reduction in the number of glazing bars required.
For more info I would contact
http://www.lbsgardendirect.com/
If you phone them they should be able to answer any questions you may have.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Shirl

"David Hill" wrote in message
polycarb does let in a little less light than glass but this is more than
made up for by the reduction in the number of glazing bars required.
For more info I would contact
http://www.lbsgardendirect.com/
If you phone them they should be able to answer any questions you may

have.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Thanks again David, will look into the site you recommended.

Old 27-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Douglas

"Shirl" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
polycarb does let in a little less light than glass but this is more

than
made up for by the reduction in the number of glazing bars required.
For more info I would contact
http://www.lbsgardendirect.com/
If you phone them they should be able to answer any questions you

may
have.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

*********
At the two sides of each of my 2 greenhouses I have nailed on
horizintally, outside; -1inch by half-an-inch wooden slats, one at the
height of my biceps, one at the height of my hip, and another at the
middle of my thigh height.
They have many a time saved breakages when I have been wheelbarrowing or
carrying timber and suddenly turning, or slipped, or when I am
blundering about blind drunk.
So far those two sides have not required re-glazing. Two of the other
sides have had panes renewed when I have used a ladder when I was
painting in a befuggled state of ****osity.
I really must give it up, - it is getting so bad I break a pane or two
every Preston Guild.
Doug.
********