Old 30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cuttings advice

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up

in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

Being the perpetual skeptic, I believe that to be an urban myth. I
have never seen or heard any real evidence that potting up a rooted
cutting directly into a potting compost is deleterious.

Franz

Old 30-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

I usually start my cuttings in a pot (about a dozen to a pot) and

wait
till I have roots through the bottom before gently separating and
potting up. I wouldn't say I had a good rate in striking cuttings,

but I
have no problems at all in keeping them going once they have rooted.

Do you use sand, sand/peat, sand/potting compost or potting compost
for rooting them in the first place?

I usually use New Horizon peat free potting compost, so they're getting
nutrient from that, but I've never felt it has much in the way of
nutrients. I don't make any claims for it being a good rooting medium,
but it's what I have around.
--
Kay

Old 31-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

I usually start my cuttings in a pot (about a dozen to a pot) and

wait
till I have roots through the bottom before gently separating and
potting up. I wouldn't say I had a good rate in striking

cuttings,
but I
have no problems at all in keeping them going once they have

rooted.

Do you use sand, sand/peat, sand/potting compost or potting compost
for rooting them in the first place?

I usually use New Horizon peat free potting compost, so they're

getting
nutrient from that, but I've never felt it has much in the way of
nutrients. I don't make any claims for it being a good rooting

medium,
but it's what I have around.

I have tried all the mixes I mentioned, and have never found any
statistically significant differences in rooting efficiency between
any of them.

Rooting in neat sand has the slight advantage that the cuttings can be
inspected with minimal damage to new roots by submerging the pot in a
bowl of water and just pulling the cutting out It is easily freed
from the slurry. Similar reinserting under water also works like a
dream.

Franz

Franz