Old 02-02-2003, 11:25 PM
sacha

Default Sarcococca

Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-02-2003, 11:26 PM
david

I'll second that...

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 03-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:25:03 +0000, sacha
wrote:

Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!

Quite agree. I've got S. confusa, S. hookeriana and S. ruscifolia in
various of my gardens. I like to plant them near the gates, paths and
round the benches so that people get the maximum benefit from them at
this time of year.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!

Mine too is wonderful.
Any advice on propagation?
Cuttings? Seed? What is best?
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 03-02-2003, 08:53 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Pete The Gardener
writes
wrote:

Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!

Quite agree. I've got S. confusa, S. hookeriana and S. ruscifolia in
various of my gardens. I like to plant them near the gates, paths and
round the benches so that people get the maximum benefit from them at
this time of year.

What is wrong with me???

I've got a S hookeriana 'humilis' flowering well in a pot and can detect
no scent whatsoever.

I've brought a sprig indoors just now to see if central-heating will
encourage something detectable.

Incidentally, I grew freesias and couldn't smell them at all but I read
somewhere that that's well known.

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//

Old 03-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Sue

"dave @ stejonda" wrote
What is wrong with me???

I've got a S hookeriana 'humilis' flowering well in a pot and can detect
no scent whatsoever.

I've got the same one in the garden and the scent does seem to be
noticeable sometimes but not others. Might it depend on air temperature or
something? I was getting a lovely whiff of it from at least twelve feet
away a few days ago, before all the snow.

Another thing is that men seem less able to detect some scents than women.
I always enjoy the fresh scent when walking by some nearby balsam poplars
in spring or autumn, but my Other Half can't smell them at all.

Sue

Old 03-02-2003, 04:23 PM
TheGardener

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
What is wrong with me???

I've got a S hookeriana 'humilis' flowering well in a pot and can detect
no scent whatsoever.

I've brought a sprig indoors just now to see if central-heating will
encourage something detectable.

Incidentally, I grew freesias and couldn't smell them at all but I read
somewhere that that's well known.

--
dave @ stejonda

I have S. hookeriana digyna, which smells absolutely wonderful. I also have
S. humilis, which doesn't seem to smell at all....... Maybe S. humilis
doesn't smell??
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 03-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Sacha wrote in message

We have S. confusa, S. hookeriana and S. digyna 'Purple Stem', so it's

hard
to tell which is smelliest. But the one we picked and brought into the
house is confusa. I do think air temp. must have something to do with the
release of scent, and perhaps light levels, too. For example, the
Brugmansias we have seem to release the scent most powerfully at about 5pm
every day and the Impatiens tinctoria doesn't really perform at all unless
the sun is pretty strong.
--

A number of plants smell at certain times of the day and at certain
temperatures/sun levels, it is supposed to be because that's when their

Whilst on the subject of scent, have you noticed that Spray Carnations etc
bought from a florist have no scent these days?
I tried an experiment a couple of years ago and planted various off-shoots
on bunches I bought and raised them to flowering on the allotment, in the
open, wonderful perfume! So it's because of the growing conditions not the
variety.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Natalie

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a

piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think

it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I remember visiting Chelsea Physic garden in February half-term last year
and admiring the scent. Thanks for reminding me Sacha...must visit again
this half-term ;-)

Natalie

Old 03-02-2003, 09:14 PM
sacha

in article , Natalie at
wrote on 3/2/03 7:05 pm:

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a

piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think

it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I remember visiting Chelsea Physic garden in February half-term last year
and admiring the scent. Thanks for reminding me Sacha...must visit again
this half-term ;-)

Natalie

You're very welcome. Do you grow it? If not, remember Percy Thrower's
advice to those wanting to take cuttings........;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Kay Easton

In article , sacha
writes

We have S. confusa, S. hookeriana and S. digyna 'Purple Stem', so it's hard
to tell which is smelliest. But the one we picked and brought into the
house is confusa. I do think air temp. must have something to do with the
release of scent, and perhaps light levels, too. For example, the
Brugmansias we have seem to release the scent most powerfully at about 5pm
every day and the Impatiens tinctoria doesn't really perform at all unless
the sun is pretty strong.

My brugmansia smells far more strongly in the summer than it did in
December (flowering in the greenhouse) and I put that down to air
temperature. But clearly light levels (or something similar) must come
into play for all those plants, like night scented stock and nicotiana,
where the purpose of the scent is to attract night flying moths for
pollination.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 03-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Kay Easton

In article , sacha
writes
Just walking through our garden today makes me ask everyone to find a piece
of ground for this amazingly scented, winter-flowering shrub. I think it's
probably under-rated and under-sold. I picked one sprig and it's scenting
out the sitting room. If you don't have it, go and find it!

I have two. Neither of them are happy in our wet clay soil (despite the
books saying they are not particularly fussy) - they are both about 8
inches high and getting smaller each year, and definitely *not* scenting
out the sitting room ;-)

Viburnum bodnantense, otoh, is flourishing, and has been scenting the
garden since November.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:

Viburnum bodnantense, otoh, is flourishing, and has been scenting the
garden since November.

Mine has been trying since then, but every time its buds start to
develop they get frosted. It seems to need at least a fortnight,
frost-free (very like winter jasmine).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679