Old 19-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Pam Moore

Default Sarcococca again

A Safeway store in Bristol is selling really nice plants of Sarcococca
for £4.99. I saw similar sized pots with less bushy plants for £8.99
at a garden centre recently.
Maybe other Safeways are selling the same. My car was smelling great
by the time I got them home. (No smell of cats' pee!!!)
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 19-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Sacha

Pam Moore wrote in message . ..
A Safeway store in Bristol is selling really nice plants of Sarcococca
for £4.99. I saw similar sized pots with less bushy plants for £8.99
at a garden centre recently.
Maybe other Safeways are selling the same. My car was smelling great
by the time I got them home. (No smell of cats' pee!!!)

This is sheer curiosity as we don't do mail order and I'm not
advertising! ;-) But what sort of height are the respective plants?
We're selling them in one litre pots for £3.50 and they're probably
about 12 to 18" high and quite sturdy. They're slow-growers, so it
really is interesting to know what you're looking at, at those prices.
Most of us ours have now gone because once people get a whiff of that
lovely scent............ ;-)
--
Sacha
Old 19-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Mike

In article , Sacha
writes
Pam Moore wrote in message news:n9r65vc28qlfbb7t4do53ug6
A Safeway store in Bristol is selling really nice plants of Sarcococca
for £4.99. I saw similar sized pots with less bushy plants for £8.99
at a garden centre recently.
Maybe other Safeways are selling the same. My car was smelling great
by the time I got them home. (No smell of cats' pee!!!)

This is sheer curiosity as we don't do mail order and I'm not
advertising! ;-) But what sort of height are the respective plants?
We're selling them in one litre pots for £3.50 and they're probably
about 12 to 18" high and quite sturdy. They're slow-growers, so it
really is interesting to know what you're looking at, at those prices.
Most of us ours have now gone because once people get a whiff of that
lovely scent............ ;-)
--
Sacha

If your not 'advertising' and directing your question to one person
only, could this not have been done by email?

Not 'advertising'?

"I think not"

:-(

One rule for you and one for me?

Where's the Charter?

ANDYYYYYYYYYYY
Better a naked truth
Than a well dressed lie.

Old 19-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:27:37 +0000, Mike
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

This is sheer curiosity as we don't do mail order and I'm not
advertising! ;-) But what sort of height are the respective plants?
We're selling them in one litre pots for £3.50 and they're probably
about 12 to 18" high and quite sturdy. They're slow-growers, so it
really is interesting to know what you're looking at, at those prices.
Most of us ours have now gone because once people get a whiff of that
lovely scent............ ;-)
--
Sacha

If your not 'advertising' and directing your question to one person
only, could this not have been done by email?

Not 'advertising'?

"I think not"

??? I can't see any 'advertising' in what Sacha wrote, perhaps you're
reading something that's not there.

One rule for you and one for me?

???

Where's the Charter?

The charter can be accessed through the uk.* web site at:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html
HTH

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 19-02-2003, 09:46 PM
trevor.appleton

Most of us ours have now gone because once people get a whiff of that
lovely scent............ ;-)
-

pongeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

---

Old 20-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Sacha

Pam Moore wrote in message . ..
On 19 Feb 2003 11:22:29 -0800, (Sacha)
wrote:

But what sort of height are the respective plants?
We're selling them in one litre pots for £3.50 and they're probably
about 12 to 18" high and quite sturdy.

Touche Sacha! Yours are sure to be much better value. These were
only about 8 inches high but in 1 litre pot and quite bushy. I jet
compared the value of these to the garden centre wimps!
However the petrol to get to your wonderful nursery, even if I could
drive there, which I personally cannot, would oush the price up a bit.
Now I am advertising for Sacha's wonderful Hill House Nursery.

Very kind of you, Pam ;-) But one of the reasons we keep our prices
low is that we really do only sell plants and the odd terracotta pot
or bird table. We don't do pots of jam, racks and racks of cards,
veg., plastic windmills etc. etc. and the bulk of the work is done by
Ray and Matthew with 3 full time helpers and 3 part-time in the busy
season. Ray & Matt also have the philosophy that as we are in the
depths of the countryside and people are naturally lazy, keeping
prices truly reasonable encourages new and a load of repeat business
which might otherwise go to more expensive but more 'immediate'
drop-in type places. It always breaks my heart when I see people
buying weedy primulas, for example, at the supermarkets when ours big,
bold, beautiful and cheaper!! There is the other factor which is
that this is all part of our home - there is no massively expensive
and glitzy 'retail outlet', just a few greenhouses and polytunnels, so
there hasn't been a million pound loan to pay back! Rumours around
the trade are that a few of the bigger boys who have done that are
struggling, so for us it's better to sleep at night. ;-) But it *is*
extremely hard work and all weather, all year round, too. In March
and April when he's making up hanging baskets, Matthew's working day
starts at around 7.30am and ends when the light fades!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
Old 20-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Pete The Gardener

On 20 Feb 2003 06:45:59 -0800, (Sacha)
wrote:

Very kind of you, Pam ;-) But one of the reasons we keep our prices
low is that we really do only sell plants and the odd terracotta pot
or bird table. We don't do pots of jam, racks and racks of cards,
veg., plastic windmills etc. etc.

TBH I never noticed the 'shop' part of the nursery when I was there.
Mind you in November there wasn't all that much activity generally :-)

It always breaks my heart when I see people
buying weedy primulas, for example, at the supermarkets when ours big,
bold, beautiful and cheaper!!

You should take the view that it's all they deserve;-) That way it's
far less painful. After all they'll probably only kill them through
neglect.

There is the other factor which is
that this is all part of our home - there is no massively expensive
and glitzy 'retail outlet', just a few greenhouses and polytunnels, so
there hasn't been a million pound loan to pay back! Rumours around
the trade are that a few of the bigger boys who have done that are
struggling, so for us it's better to sleep at night. ;-)

The brother of a mate of mine just had the garden centre he was
manager of burn down. They used to employ 50 people, but they've had
to lay off nearly half of them due to not having any premises. Very
hard times for some!

But it *is*
extremely hard work and all weather, all year round, too.

I remember. When I was in nursery work it was 16 hour days as a norm.

In March
and April when he's making up hanging baskets, Matthew's working day
starts at around 7.30am and ends when the light fades!

Ah! definately a wuss then;-) When I was a lad..............

Old 21-02-2003, 11:41 PM
trevor.appleton

He's too big for me to tell him he's a wuss........ ;-))
--

Whats a wuss then?

---

Dwarf Sweet Box (aka: sarcococca hookeriana humilis) gardengene Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:32 PM
Sarcococca sacha United Kingdom 16 09-02-2003 09:46 AM
Sarcococca Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 7 08-02-2003 11:05 PM