Old 15-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Snowdrops

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:50:51 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

My better half informs me that snowdrops are _much_ better planted as plants
rather than bulbs (bulbs are 'a waste of time' apparently). I have responded
that one gets better snowdrops from bulbs rather than nothing, since I have
never seen snowdrop plants for sale and anyway its the wrong time of year
for the plants now if we want snowdrops next spring. Are the bulbs really 'a
waste of time?' Feel free to increase marital discord by replying, as long
as it supports my POV of course :-)

Secretly buy the bulbs, pot them up in clean sand, water once,
and keep them in a coldframe for the winter, sheltered from
excessive moisture and the worst cold of winter. Some will
flower, others will not, but most of the bulbs will plump up and
at least grow. Potting or planting weak bulbs in sand for a
season is a very old trick, nothing new, btw.

In the spring, you can then surprise the light of your life with
pots full of snowdrops "in the green" for his/her delectation.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 15-10-2002, 09:09 AM
sacha

From: "Tumbleweed"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:55:34 +0100
Subject: Snowdrops

Oh no, woe is me :-(

(to all those who replied that my better half is right! How come that always
happens?)

Law of nature - don't worry about it, just go with the flow. ;-)
snip

Old 15-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

So, wait till next spring, then round to the garden centre I
suppose....

Better and a lot cheaper to check out the adverts in the gardening
press for mail order, you will get hundreds of plants for the price of
a couple of pots.

But the ones that come mail order will have been chopped about a bit and
generally look a bit sad when they arrive. If TW must have some to cheer
the garden next February, rather than the Feb after that, buying by the pot
is the way to go, or as Roger says, plant the dry ones in a pot and cosset
them a bit: I've done this and it worked for me.

Victoria

Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Charlie Pridham

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article , Pam Moore at
wrote on 7/2/03 10:06 am:

Have you got snowdrops in a pot which you can bring indoors?
They have a lovely subtle scent, a bit similar to sarcococca.
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

I have some Primulas in pots indoors at present and the scent is

gorgeous -
something you do'nt seem to notice in the garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Same thing applies to Crocus and helleborus foetidus. You never seem to get
down low enough!

Old 08-02-2003, 10:14 AM
sacha

in article , Charlie Pridham at
wrote on 7/2/03 6:50 pm:

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article
, Pam Moore at
wrote on 7/2/03 10:06 am:

Have you got snowdrops in a pot which you can bring indoors?
They have a lovely subtle scent, a bit similar to sarcococca.
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

I have some Primulas in pots indoors at present and the scent is

gorgeous -
something you do'nt seem to notice in the garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Same thing applies to Crocus and helleborus foetidus. You never seem to get
down low enough!

Dennis Cornish once told me that that he thought Hellebores should be grown
on top of overhanging banks or walls so that one could look up into them.
Quite a good suggestion, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM