Old 27-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Phil L

Steve wrote:
:: Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!
::
:: But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
:: dissipate.
::
:: Steve.

TBH, I only use it on dandelions and occasionally thistles, everything else
I have is easy to get out by hand.
Roundup is useful for, dandelions, thistles and docks, all of which have
deep roots, any part which is left in will produce another plant.
if you have these weeds, I wouldn't bother with it:

Nettles: easy to get out and their roots are bright yellow...Alan gave some
excellent pointers on how to make the tops into a 'nettle manure'...details
he http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

Brambles: Fairly easy to cut back and dig out the roots manually.

Grasses: as above, or turn the sods upside down now to let them rot down
over winter.

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Old 28-09-2004, 05:35 AM
Alan Gould

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic" producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Martin
writes
Organic producers uses organically acceptable poisons in some cases.

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

I said poisons not herbicidal poisons.

This thread is about weed killers. In chemical form that is herbicides.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 28-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Franz Heymann

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

[snip]

Wait till you see what an argument in urg actually is. {:-))

I think we are all exploring the topic to really find out if the
running out of the patent on Monsanto's roundup is, or is not,
actually putting cheaper products on the market. So far it is
dubious.

Franz

Old 28-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , IntarsiaCo
writes

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic"
producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.

Yes it is. Too much water is a poison.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Or in the case of chickweed, incorporated into salads...

Old 28-09-2004, 11:14 AM
IntarsiaCo

Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?
Old 28-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Alan Gould

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Vinegar is not mentioned in the guidelines for organic weed control.
If it is a poisonous herbicide as you say, then it is not acceptable,
along with all spray type chemical weed-killers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Weedkiller. chris.sperry United Kingdom 4 07-05-2003 08:44 AM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 02:44 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM