Old 07-10-2004, 07:31 PM
St. George

Default Snails, Slugs, Hedgehogs etc.

Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or discouraged
in the garden.

Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?

Thank you in anticipation,

Happppppppppppppppy Everythings,

LenBo, Weston-SUPER-Mare

Old 07-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Shell

We don't have hedgehogs where I am (that I know of) in Houston but I believe
they eat bugs mostly. Not sure if they eat plants or not.

The only role that I know of for the slug or snail is to munch on the plants
and buds you most like. Sluggo is a good remedy for them, although it may
take more than one treatment. Sluggo is also pet friendly.

Personally I would leave the hedgehog alone and kill off the slugs and
snails. Unless I heard right and hedgehogs eat those too.

Shell

"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or

discouraged
in the garden.

Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?

Thank you in anticipation,

Happppppppppppppppy Everythings,

LenBo, Weston-SUPER-Mare

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 07-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Phil L

St. George wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.
::
:: Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or
:: discouraged in the garden.

Encouraged, they sniff out slugs and snails..their snouts are perfectly
shaped to rummage through leaf litter and foilage to get them out.
::
:: Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?
::
Primarily to eat shoots, leaves and roots, although we have some very large
(about the size of a man's thumb)slugs around here which don't seem to
bother with plants at all, I've seen them eating discarded food such as
sweets, ice cream, chocolates and biscuits etc, even bread and meat (we have
a few large families nearby - their kids are forever dropping food in the
street) does anyone know what these things are?...they are almost always
bright orange but occasionally black.

(newsgroups trimmed)

Old 07-10-2004, 10:52 PM
St. George

Mannnnnnny thanks for your interesting and prompt response.

Thanks a bunch.

However would prefer not to use pellets as I would not wish anything similar
to happen to me.

Remember the old West Country (English) saying:-

Take care of yourselves, and take care of each other.

Happppppy Everythings,

LenBo

Old 08-10-2004, 12:03 AM
David Hill

St George wrote ".......Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this
N.G. .........."

Which one?
You are multiple posting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Phil L

David Hill wrote:
:: St George wrote ".......Probably an old Chestnut but am new
:: to this N.G. .........."
::
:: Which one?
:: You are multiple posting.
::

As have all others who replied....except one.

:-p

Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 AM
paghat

In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-udOV900dMXzb@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:31:58 +0100, "St. George" St.
wrote:

Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or discouraged
in the garden.

Always a safe bet to encourage them - and you can do so by feeding
them. A small plate of cat food is ideal, and to prevent other animals
from scoffing it, place another plate or a lid of some sort over the
food. This tends to dissuade most other animals - but the hog will
just barge right in ( and probably thank you for the meal by crapping
on the plate... so don't use the Denby ).

They're wide-ranging in their foraging habits, so you won't have
exclusive use of their services.
It can be fun to mark them in some fashion to monitor their foraging
habits - use acrylic paint ( from any artist supply shop ) to daub a
number on the back of the hog. It's a water based paint, and won't
harm the hog.

Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?

They eat stuff.
You can pretty much regard all snails as bad news - but not all slugs
are that nasty. Quite a few of them dine on dead matter, particularly
the larger ones.
From my own experience, the ones to watch are the little black ones
with the orange sole...these will burrow through anything en masse.
Likewise the small, slimy cream coloured jobby.

There are several methods of control, but the two I find most
effective are getting out there at night with a torch and picking them
off ( this will also give you the chance to observe the hedgehogs at
work, and plenty more that goes on in the dark ) - and covered areas (
using tiles or carpet etc ) under which the slugs and snails will
crawl to rest. Just lift the covering and pick 'em off.
This will also encourage ground beetles and , if you're lucky, slow
worms.
You might have to spend a week doing this, but it will decimate the
population to such an extent that a weekly patrol will probably be
adequate.

Don't forget to check that you have some sort of flat, hard surface
around....for the Thrushes to use as an anvil to smash snail shells. I
find they prefer somewhere slightly raised and unobscured by
surrounding plants...presumably so they can keep an eye out for
predators.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 08-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:05:27 GMT, Shell wrote:

The only role that I know of for the slug or snail is to munch on the plants
and buds you most like

And all the stuff in the compost heap too. Which is good.
They also attract other wildlife - like hedgehogs - which also eat other
"baddies".

--
Tim C.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
St. George wrote:
:: Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?
::
Primarily to eat shoots, leaves and roots,

also generally clearing up rotting debris
and some even eat other slugs

although we have some very large
(about the size of a man's thumb)slugs around here which don't seem to
bother with plants at all, I've seen them eating discarded food such as
sweets, ice cream, chocolates and biscuits etc, even bread and meat (we have
a few large families nearby - their kids are forever dropping food in the
street) does anyone know what these things are?...they are almost always
bright orange but occasionally black.

Arion ater?
--
Kay