Old 08-10-2004, 11:02 AM
dps

paghat wrote:
In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-udOV900dMXzb@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

Whatever turns you on.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

David Hill wrote:
:: St George wrote ".......Probably an old Chestnut but am new
:: to this N.G. .........."
::
:: Which one?
:: You are multiple posting.
::

As have all others who replied....except one.

And as a result have all fallen into my spamtrap...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Mike Lyle

Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]
There are several methods of control, but the two I find most
effective are getting out there at night with a torch and picking

them
off [...]

Good quote from my youngest daughter, then about five, on one of
these nocturnal slug forays: "Dad, Dad, quick! Thith ith a fatht
one!" Not yer average sluggish slug!

Mike.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:38 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]
There are several methods of control, but the two I find most
effective are getting out there at night with a torch and picking

them
off [...]

Good quote from my youngest daughter, then about five, on one of
these nocturnal slug forays: "Dad, Dad, quick! Thith ith a fatht
one!" Not yer average sluggish slug!

Aw bless :0)
She must have found one of those rare racing slugs.Latin name Arkleus
redrummidus

Old 08-10-2004, 04:47 PM
paghat

In article , "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:17:41 UTC,

(paghat)
opined:

In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-udOV900dMXzb@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is

the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is

question I can't answer.

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.

Ray

Recipe for Slug Fritters:
http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm
There's actually a cookbook called BEST WASHINGTON SLUG RECIPES (1983) but
it's out of print, alas.

And of course slugs go good with worms:
http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/wo...l/recipes.html
http://bertc.com/natural.htm

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 08-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Shell

Hedgehogs do eat snails and slugs then? I wasn't sure. I think I need
several in my back yard.

Shell

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:05:27 GMT, Shell wrote:

The only role that I know of for the slug or snail is to munch on the

plants
and buds you most like

And all the stuff in the compost heap too. Which is good.
They also attract other wildlife - like hedgehogs - which also eat other
"baddies".

--
Tim C.

---

Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Franz Heymann

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

[snip]

You might have to spend a week doing this, but it will decimate the
population to such an extent that a weekly patrol will probably be
adequate.

There is only one extent to which a population can be decimated,
namely to kill off one in every ten.
That leaves 90% fighting fit.
{:-((

Franz

Old 08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Pam Croxton

Hedgehogs should be encouraged as they are the gardeners friend, they eat
bugs etc. Snails and slugs I am not so sure of.
We encourage and feed hedgehogs, the same as lace wings they do a lot of
good in the garden and as much as possible we plant herbs and flowers such
as marigolds that discourage insects rather then using insecticides.

Enjoy your garden and the wild life that goes with it.
pam
"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or

discouraged
in the garden.

Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?

Thank you in anticipation,

Happppppppppppppppy Everythings,

LenBo, Weston-SUPER-Mare