Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-10-2004, 10:12 AM
mcloone

Default leylandii hedge overtrimmed?

Hi,
moved into my house about 1 yr ago. Our neighbours have a high
leylandii hedge. It was around 18 ft high but they've trimmed it to
around 14ft. It was planted about 6 inches from the border fence. They
employed a gardener to trim the side and top. I asked their gardener
to trim the sides back to the boundary which he has done.
Now the bottom 10ft or so is brown and the top 4 ft is dark green. I
did not particularly like the high hedge extending into our garden but
now that its almost all brown and dead looking i like it less.
Will the brown parts turn green in the spring? Frome my searches on
this forum it looks like it will stay brown. If teh hedge will not
turn green is there anything I could plant such as ivy which might
grow over the dead branches to provide some greenery next year?
Thanks for any advice, Mike