Old 19-06-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

Default I have a high hedge. 14ft leylandii

I have a high hedge. Do I need a tree surgeon to cut it. It has been trimmed
before it just needs trimming again. I have just moves here. Can a general
gardening firm do this kind of job?

Old 19-06-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

"Thomas Fairweather" wrote ...
I have a high hedge. Do I need a tree surgeon to cut it. It has been

trimmed
before it just needs trimming again. I have just moves here. Can a general
gardening firm do this kind of job?

I recently had my leylandii hedge reduced in height. Trimmed off about 4
feet. I looked in the yellow pages for tree people rather than general
gardeners. It cost £60. Length of hedge is about 15 feet. They trimmed
both sides of the hedge, removed all debris and cleaned up afterwards.

Old 19-06-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

Thats really cheap. How long did it take and how many were doing the job?
Did they use a platform or ladders because I have been told that a platform
will be needed and bee quoted £240 for a 30ft hedge.
"Thomas Fairweather" wrote ...

Old 19-06-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

The hedge is 14ft high and 30ft long and I want it 7ft high
"Thomas Fairweather" wrote in message
Thats really cheap. How long did it take and how many were doing the job?
Did they use a platform or ladders because I have been told that a
platform will be needed and bee quoted £240 for a 30ft hedge.
"Thomas Fairweather" wrote ...

Old 19-06-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Thomas Fairweather wrote:
The hedge is 14ft high and 30ft long and I want it 7ft high

They can do it from stepladders, they only need to get to around 6 ft
high....the biggest job is getting rid of all the offcuts, although there is
little weight in them, they are bulky....personally I'd get a handyman in if
you are not up for it yourself, I don't think a tree surgeon or gardener is
required considering it's already been topped.

Old 20-06-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Phil L wrote:
Thomas Fairweather wrote:
The hedge is 14ft high and 30ft long and I want it 7ft high

They can do it from stepladders, they only need to get to around 6 ft
high....the biggest job is getting rid of all the offcuts, although there is
little weight in them, they are bulky....personally I'd get a handyman in if
you are not up for it yourself, I don't think a tree surgeon or gardener is
required considering it's already been topped.

Take your time choosing, there is no rush, as so as not to disturb
nesting birds they should not be cut until August anyway.
Old 20-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

"Thomas Fairweather" wrote
Thats really cheap. How long did it take and how many were doing the job?
Did they use a platform or ladders because I have been told that a

platform
will be needed and bee quoted £240 for a 30ft hedge.

I recently had my leylandii hedge reduced in height. Trimmed off about

4
feet. I looked in the yellow pages for tree people rather than general
gardeners. It cost £60. Length of hedge is about 15 feet. They

trimmed
both sides of the hedge, removed all debris and cleaned up afterwards.

There were two of them and they used ladders. It probably took them about 1
1/2 hours. I had quotes from 2 companies and they both quoted about the
same price for the job. Phone around and ask for free quotes. I've
previously had the trees chopped and that company used a scaffold type
platform (they also charged a lot more).

Old 20-06-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

For info

Check out http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg402.pdf clause 5.

Its down to the risk assesment as to whether ladders or towers are
used.

Even the guys who work for BT and use long ladders, have to tie the
top to the post, and also the bottom of the ladder has to be
restrained, normally another rope to the bottom of the post.

What do they do with the rubbish ?? tip it, recycle it, burn it or
just dump it.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered User

For a 14 foot hedge, you could be better off simply buying a set of these tripod ladders (they're not cheap around the same sort of cost of getting a pro in once or twice, then they're yours to keep.)

Tripod Ladders | Garden & Orchard Ladders

Hope this helps?
Old 18-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered User

I feel that they will just need a ladder to do the job. And I don’t think that it will cost so much to cut the hedges. You better enquire with other gardening firms and try to find out what the price will be.