Old 27-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default Small Greenhouse

I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

Old 28-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Daleo's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Lake District

Hey Miss,

I've got two B+Q greenhouses, one i bought myself and one was given to me.

I found them to be very effective at a very reasonable price.

Failing that check your local rag's small ads there's usually always a couple in there.
Old 28-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

Halls do one at about £200
Look on:-
http://www.gardensite.org.uk/greenho...ng/popular.php

An important consideration is a solid level base. Worth spending the extra
on say a barrow-mix foundation and the rigid base unit.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 28-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanatos

Hi

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

Have a look on www.ebay.co.uk Search for Greenhouse you may find
several in your area. (long as you can transport one of course)

Old 29-10-2004, 10:06 AM
David Hill

Your best chance of getting a cheap greenhouse is to keep an eye on the
small adds in your local paper, sometimes they are advertised free to the
person who will take them down and remove.
If you get a standing house then take photos of all joints, corners etc,
makes it easier when re building.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-10-2004, 02:31 PM
D Russell

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

I got our 8'x6' GH from the Yellow free ads rag, it was a collect for free
type thing. Only broke one pane of glass in dismantling it, about £3 to
replace, and did as others suggest, photographed all joints and angles and
the door etc. Reassembly was surprisingly easy, and any additonal bits can
be bought at focus etc. For a solid base, I forked out some money for two
untreated reailway sleepers, and literally screwed the GH onto those. No
risk of it blowing away at all now, plus I've got almost and extra foot of
head room for growing plants and myself.

Duncan

Old 31-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Peter Stockdale

"D Russell" wrote in message
.

I got our 8'x6' GH from the Yellow free ads rag, it was a collect for free
type thing. Only broke one pane of glass in dismantling it, about £3 to
replace, and did as others suggest, photographed all joints and angles and
the door etc. Reassembly was surprisingly easy, and any additonal bits can
be bought at focus etc. For a solid base, I forked out some money for two
untreated reailway sleepers, and literally screwed the GH onto those. No
risk of it blowing away at all now, plus I've got almost and extra foot of
head room for growing plants and myself.

Duncan

What did you use for the other two sides of the rectangle ?

Peter

Old 07-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Gary

On 10/27/04 5:56 AM, in article , "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

Oh, the magic word-Cheap! This does mean that you don't care what it looks
like? You are more interested in results? Cheap results...? This is what I
have done. I send this for your consideration.
Get any old European tent of your required size and then cover it with
plastic...the cheap stuff....the plastic that covers mattresses and box
springs...the plastic that is thrown out by furniture stores. You will have
to replace it in about two years because it is not UV resilient.
My CF (cold frame), a GH has heat...same thing as CF but a GH has heat...my
CF is an old tent frame from my stay in France-vintage 1962 + -. It was not
being used so now that I'm into gardening I put it to good use. Use clamps
to keep the plastic in place. You will find ways to solve the various
problems with wind and such. For white fly problems I remove the plastic and
let the elements work. No pesticides, just the elements.
I am working on making it 'look' better than it has but then every new idea
can be improved. Cheers,
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada
PS: I picked tomatoes today...and have had a variety like beefeater ripen on
the vine. Something I had not been able to do in the past without this cold
frame. It is also portable. I plant the tomatoes right in the ground...sweet
peppers are in there also. Yummy!