Old 06-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Oxymel of Squill" contains these words:

I built mine and it's still the most amazing architectural achievement
known
to man, you can keep yer pyramids.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble.htm

It's 13 x 6 x 6 to 10 tall, biggest I
could squeeze in. Cost me £700, would have been £3.5K commercially.

Cost me around a fiver, but is beyond price.

But go
for the biggest you can because it's vast in winter and then in spring you
fill it with seedlings and each seedling then demands an acre of its own

Nah, you need a greenhouse for that.

and
your greenhouse shrinks down to a jungled nothing in summer. I used
twinwall plastic for the roof, which holds in the heat for reasonable
cosiness in winter, with automatic vents for summer heat.

Oh. Well, why didn't you say so? It helps if you repla *AFTER* the text
you're quoting.

Make sure you have electricity multi socket for propagators, lights, fans,
lawnmower, I have cctv cam. And think about water too, I have a butt on a
nearby roof which gives rainwater on tap, otherwise you'll be lugging
watering cans about twice a day, and make sure the door is big enough for
your wheelbarrow.

If we're still talking about greenhouses (and I am, now) and you intend
having (say) tomatoes and/or cucumbers growing in soil rather than pots
or gro-bags, you'll need to surround the structure with a trench and
bury ½" wire netting, or corrugated iron, or similar, to keep the moles
out.

Worms like greenhouses, especially the watering régime. The dampest bits
are always under the plants. Moley will burrow in a straight-ish line
beneath all your plants and bork them.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I prefer to have the butt sited in the greenhouse - this has lots of
obvious advantages.

Don't you get algae problems?

Not if you cover it to keep the light out.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:

No more than in outside butts which I also use.(for outside plants).
This problem is significantly reduced by using dark coloured butts.
My main outside "butt" (5000k gallons) also has a black polythene cover to
eliminate algae totally.

I should think that a 5,000,000 gallon butt would be kept quite clear by
keeping giant catfish in it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

This problem is significantly reduced by using dark coloured butts.
My main outside "butt" (5000k gallons) also has a black polythene

cover to
eliminate algae totally.

I beg your pardon? That would be roughly 100 ft * 100 ft * 100 ft.
Some butt!

Franz

Old 06-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sadie

Sadie.1fb1fo@n
ews.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

[snip]

Does the water in a
butt get smelly and stagnant?

That's what would worry me. Lots of light and warmth = algae.

Only if the butt lets through sufficient light.

[snip]

Franz

Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

This problem is significantly reduced by using dark coloured butts.
My main outside "butt" (5000k gallons) also has a black polythene

cover to
eliminate algae totally.

I beg your pardon? That would be roughly 100 ft * 100 ft * 100 ft.
Some butt!

Franz

Sorry - just testing that you were awake Franz - the " k " is a typo. I
should have stated a mere 5000 gallons. Give me the volume measurement in ft
for this and I will verify.

Pardon me
Pete

Old 06-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Only if the butt lets through sufficient light.

Does your butt look big in this newsgroup?

And does the sun shine in, or out?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sadie" wrote

I have about 12 to 15' x 9 to 12' in the North East facing corner of my
garden with two 6' walls so I should be able to make two areas to keep
shed and greenhouse areas separate, is this just so everything
stays/looks tidy?

Yes, there is nothing more unsightly than an untidy greenhouse, it should be
part of the garden especially in the summer. A place of interest. It also
keeps the greenhouse free of places for pests and disease to lurk.

I do intend having water and electicity laid on so your recommendations
about heating and automatic vents will be accommodated.

Good, it makes such a difference to ease of use and the husbandry of your
plants.

I am so new to gardening (about 4-5 years) I don't know what I want to
grow, so far I have had great pleasure in taking cuttings and I think I
would like to have some tender plants that would need overwintering but
I work full time and find I can't give enough time to look after seeds
properly (although it doesn't usually stop me trying), I want to give
everything a go.

Great. You will have some spectacular successes and some dismal failures
(just like the rest of us!) The thing is to learn by the failures, read up
and understand why they happened and try again.

I can see this developing over the next few years into an all consuming
hobby that will see me well into retirement (not for a few years yet
though). I won't be replacing the greenhouse/shed I get now when I
retire so I am planning for it to last for at least the next thirty
years.

Welcome to the passion of growing plants.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 07-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

..

That is still a mighty large butt, roughly 10 ft * 10 ft * 10 ft.

One cubic ft = 6.25 gallons.

Franz

I think we are a bit more on track now. At least not factors of tens out !
15ft Dia. 5ft high.

Pete

Old 10-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

I should think that a 5,000,000 gallon butt would be kept quite clear by
keeping giant catfish in it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Bit of a delay in your post coming through on my feed, Rusty.
Already admitted to typing error.[sb 5000 gal(c)]
How big is this fish ?
If it would fit a could give it a try but I would need some advice on food
for it.
Already got 200 goldfish (separate place) - I wonder if it would be happy
with the odd bag of same food occasionally.

Regards
Pete

Old 10-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

I should think that a 5,000,000 gallon butt would be kept quite clear by
keeping giant catfish in it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Bit of a delay in your post coming through on my feed, Rusty.
Already admitted to typing error.[sb 5000 gal(c)]

Ah - reply sent before your amendment arrived.

How big is this fish ?

Well, it's not any individual fish, you understand: you feed a smaller
one up to gianthood.

If it would fit a could give it a try but I would need some advice on food
for it.

Oh, small ones can be got, but I think only certain species grow really
big. ISTR that some of the Mercadian ones may reach twelve or fifteen
feet, but I've no doubt you'd get a more impressive estimate if you
asked a Texan.

Already got 200 goldfish (separate place) - I wonder if it would be happy
with the odd bag of same food occasionally.

They're bottom-feeders. This means they feed on the bottom of the river
or water-butt, not through their bottom, BTW.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Peter Stockdale

[...]

Thanks for the thought - but I think I will stick just to goldfishes as I
don't know any Texans

Regards
Pete

Old 10-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
[...]

Stirring up the mud in the process.

Franz

Old 10-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:

Thanks for the thought - but I think I will stick just to goldfishes as I
don't know any Texans

Oh, do be careful! If you ever get to meet a Texan, don't even *THINK*
about offering him "ants' eggs".

You feed Texans on 4 lb chargrilled beefsteaks and chilli sauce.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:

Bit of a delay in your post coming through on my feed, Rusty.
Already admitted to typing error.[sb 5000 gal(c)]
How big is this fish ?
If it would fit a could give it a try but I would need some advice on food
for it.
Already got 200 goldfish (separate place) - I wonder if it would be happy
with the odd bag of same food occasionally.

While making some papier maché I came across a pic (scanner software out
of order ATM) and this text:

BIG CAT: EDP angling photographer Jim Tyree with a Spanish catfish from
the River Ebro weighing 119 lbs and over seven feet in length. "After
taking my large bait, the fish took over 80 yds of line at the first
rush and took over 20 minutes to bring to the boat." he said. "The fish
was then photographed, before being returned to its watery home."

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

New guy seeks advice with plant care. Lee Davison United Kingdom 12 28-08-2004 08:08 PM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 09:13 AM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 08:58 AM
Old stoves - for the potting shed. Chris Stewart United Kingdom 0 14-03-2004 04:57 AM
New, worried owner seeks advice and help The Puppy Wizard Gardening 2 09-11-2003 10:42 PM