Old 13-11-2004, 12:48 PM
David

Default Shrubs for shady new border

Hi everyone,

I would like to plant some evergreen shrubs (or plants) in a 1m x 6m bed
which during winter is shaded by a 6ft screen block wall to the east and to
the south by a 8 ft conifer hedge. In summer the bed will see the sun for
3-4hrs in the afternoon. At present all that is planted is a tall hebe (?)
right at the back at the intersection between the wall and hedge. The hebe
is doing well and I would like to keep. The bed runs along the length of the
wall and borders onto my patio. I live in East Lothian on the S East coast
of Scotland.
Apart from the mahonias and conifers I am struggling to come up with
ideas for shrubs which will look good in winter (they will be visible from
my conservatory). Any suggestions for shrubs or plants and to where I can
get them?

thanks,

David

Old 13-11-2004, 09:36 PM
bnd777

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Try Eleagnus,Photinia,Pyracantha,Nandina,

but dont include more conifers ........they will strip the soil and make it
even more difficult to grow other shrubs

The 8ft conifer hedge will already be causing enough stripping of the soil

Old 14-11-2004, 05:21 AM
andrewpreece

"bnd777" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I would like to plant some evergreen shrubs (or plants) in a 1m x 6m bed
which during winter is shaded by a 6ft screen block wall to the east and

the south by a 8 ft conifer hedge. In summer the bed will see the sun

for
3-4hrs in the afternoon. At present all that is planted is a tall hebe

(?)
right at the back at the intersection between the wall and hedge. The

hebe
is doing well and I would like to keep. The bed runs along the length of

the
wall and borders onto my patio. I live in East Lothian on the S East

coast
of Scotland.
Apart from the mahonias and conifers I am struggling to come up with
ideas for shrubs which will look good in winter (they will be visible

from
my conservatory). Any suggestions for shrubs or plants and to where I

can
get them?

Aucuba japonica ( Japanese Spotted Laurel ). Some Pyracanthas can take
shade. Holly, get one that will give you berries, maybe even variegated. Yew
may be ok, but you'll want the golden variety to brighten things up, and I'm
not sure they're so shade-tolerant as the dark yews. Azalea ( acid-loving ).

Andy

Old 14-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Kay

In article , andrewpreece
writes

"bnd777" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
[...]

They're shade tolerant. They just go green ;-)

--
Kay

Old 14-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "David" contains these words:

[...]

Garrya elliptica, especially the variety 'James Roof' is good in shade
and is very striking in winter. It has very long tassely catkins. They
get longer and longer as the winter goes on and reach their peak in
about January.
Janet G

Old 14-11-2004, 10:12 PM
David

Thanks for the suggestions, every-one. Funny thing is I've already got some
of the suggested shrubs in my garden, Photinia fraseri (red robin) is
growing well in a sunny spot, although it tends to drop it's leaves somewhat
during the winter. Also the laurel, again I've got several, all self seeded
(goodness knows where they've come from)....these I've transplanted and
brought on. I haven't got any variegated ones though so I think I'll try one
of these. The phormiums would give a "wow" factor, although my books tend to
suggest that they need winter protection?

Today I managed to get a mahonia (media charity) and a pachysandra for
ground cover. I'm also thinking of some periwinkle for ground cover
also.....any views on whether they will be invasive? Finally my local
nursery convinced me that a fatsia japonica which they sold me should
withstand the winter, hopefully as they have grown them they will be right,
anyways I've kept the receipt! I've also purchased various dogwoods for
another bed (next to a conifer hedge).
Only problem was that by the time I'd got back home it was too dark to
plant......................

thanks again,

David

Old 14-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"David" wrote in message

[snip]

Today I managed to get a mahonia (media charity) and a pachysandra

for
ground cover. I'm also thinking of some periwinkle for ground cover
also.....any views on whether they will be invasive?

Periwinkle is very, very invasive.

Franz

Old 14-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Sacha

On 14/11/04 22:32, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[snip]

Today I managed to get a mahonia (media charity) and a pachysandra

for
ground cover. I'm also thinking of some periwinkle for ground cover
also.....any views on whether they will be invasive?

Periwinkle is very, very invasive.

I hope the OP will get a Sarcococca and enjoy that totally wonderful winter
scent. Geranium palmatum will take dry shade and we've had it white with
frost here and still had that wonderful zinging green foliage later. I
don't know if it would still be okay so far north but it might be worth
trying one plant to see how it goes. I've heard someone say they've seen it
survive down to -11 or so. We think it's a very under-used plant.
Vincas are lovely but I agree with Franz, they can be invasive if you don't
keep a careful eye on them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-11-2004, 12:57 PM
David

Thanks to every-one for the advice, I'm just waiting for the builder to
finish the wall then I can get planting!

regards,

David

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "David" contains these words:

The phormiums would give a "wow" factor, although my books tend to
suggest that they need winter protection?

They do fine on the west coast,but we're quite a bit warmer than your
side. Binny's would be able to advise you.

Finally my local
nursery convinced me that a fatsia japonica which they sold me should
withstand the winter, hopefully as they have grown them they will be

right,
anyways I've kept the receipt!

Tough as old boots, and very attractive. In cold weather (minus 18 C
or so) the leaves will fold down in a dismal way, but they return to
normal as it thaws.

Janet.

Old 17-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi everyone,

I would like to plant some evergreen shrubs (or plants) in a 1m x 6m bed
which during winter is shaded by a 6ft screen block wall to the east and to
the south by a 8 ft conifer hedge.

Apart from the mahonias and conifers I am struggling to come up with
ideas for shrubs which will look good in winter (they will be visible from
my conservatory). Any suggestions for shrubs or plants and to where I can
get them?

thanks,

David
A few ideas:
1) Euonymus fortunei cultivars make very attractive, evergreen lows shrubs or groundcover, e.g. "Emerald & Gold" (green with yellow variegation that turns pinkish in winter) or "Emerald Gaiety" (green and white). "Harlequin" is another good one - the small green leaves are heavily sprinkled with white - it really sparkles in a dark corner. They will also grow up against walls to a height of several feet. I have lots of them in the very shady borders surrounding my patio and they seem very happy.
2) There are other evergreen Euonymus varieties, such as Euonymus japonica, with gold variegation, that grow much taller.
3) Hellebores are fairly evergreen perennials that do well in shade. Most have beautiful flowers from winter into spring. Small plants do take a long time to establish, though.
4) (and this might sound a bit daft...) you could do put in a few obelisks planted with variegated ivies, to introduce a bit of height and... er, daftness...
5) Primula are good for ground cover, with bright flowers sporadically from autumn through to their main flowering period in late winter/early spring (sorry - I know you were asking for shrubs, not perennials!)
6) Of course, if you have acidic soil, you could add a camellia or two. The leaves are maybe a bit dull, although glossy and light-reflecting, but the flowers in spring are worth it, and being shaded from morning sun is ideal for it (the buds can be damaged if they are frozen and then thaw too quickly).
7) The tree heath, Eric arborea, gets gets to about 6 feet (and can tolerate a bit of lime). "Albert's Gold" has allegedly greeny-gold foliage, but mine just looks green.
Most of these won't like dry shade or impoverished soil, so dig in as much organic matter as you can before planting.

Old 18-11-2004, 11:59 AM
David

Thanks, Ornata
I will be putting in some perennials, in fact the
Gardening Direct catalogue has just this morning dropped through my
letterbox so I'll be placing an order. The camellia I will be including
also, although I'm not certain how it will fare as although I am on the
coast we suffer from sudden prolonged frosts. I think that I will also
include euonymus for ground cover, I was going to use periwinkle along with
my pachysandra but have decided against in case it takes over. I'm still
waiting for the builders to finish and then I'll get stuck in to it
(probably in the snow!).
Thanks for your input,

regards,

David

Old 18-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Philip

"David" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Ornata
I will be putting in some perennials, in fact the
Gardening Direct catalogue has just this morning dropped through my
letterbox so I'll be placing an order. The camellia I will be including
also, although I'm not certain how it will fare as although I am on the
coast we suffer from sudden prolonged frosts. I think that I will also
include euonymus for ground cover, I was going to use periwinkle along with
my pachysandra but have decided against in case it takes over. I'm still
waiting for the builders to finish and then I'll get stuck in to it
(probably in the snow!).
Thanks for your input,

Is your soil the right type for Camelia. They like acid soils and
although you can water with Sequestrine to counter the effects of lime
induced chlorosis you will be fighting against nature.

You mentioned a wall somewhere. Walls, or more specifically, the
mortar between the bricks tends to leach alkali into the soil. So
unless you are on an acid soil in the first place things will be
heading in the wrong dirction for your Camelia.

If you really want a Camelia and your soild is alkali, then construct
a raised bed and fill it with ericaceous compost and your Camelai will
love you for it.
Old 19-11-2004, 04:47 PM
David

Thanks, Philip. Yes there is a wall both to the rear of the bed and also a
small retaining wall, both run the full length. I have the advantage though
of starting from scratch and will be effectively carting in fresh soil to
make up the level. I'm wondering now if I should create a "box" within the
bed in which I could introduce ericaceous compost and keep it separate from
the rest of the bed. I've got a soil tester so will check the type of soil
I've got.

thanks,

David

"Philip" wrote in message
om...

Old 23-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , David
writes

I will be putting in some perennials, in fact the
Gardening Direct catalogue has just this morning dropped through my
letterbox so I'll be placing an order.

I can send you rooted cuttings/small plants of Eunonymus the gold, the
silver and poss. Harlequin though that takes a devil of a long time to
grow! What about that "blood Thingy" grass, it goes deep crimson at this
time of year and/or Sarcococca all of which I can easily spare.
Let me know if you are interested.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy