Old 20-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Prakash

Default Help in identifying plants please ?

Hi,
I have a conifer like shrub in my garden - approx 5-6 feet in height. It has
flat leaves, and the shrub looks a bit like a fan. Could someone tell me
which one this is ? There a picture available at
www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_fir1.jpg . I've looked in the RHS
Encyclopedia of Gardening (its the only gardening book I've got !) and on
the rhs web site too. It seems to resemble something called 'nana aurea'
(http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselect...?plantid=42685).
Would this be correct ?

I also have another shrub, and I cannot find this in the RHS book or the
site. There a picture at www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_shrub1.jpg
..Could you please also tell me what this is - I'm clearing out an overgrown
garden and dont want to lose any shrubs etc simply because of my ignorance
of gardening.

Also ( I'm new to this news group), are the file sizes of the pictures ok,
or do I need to have them in a lower resolution so the files are smaller ?

Cheers,
Prakash.

Old 20-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Aardvark

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:26:54 -0000, "Prakash"
wrote:

[...]

The shrub may be a Cotoneaster.
Old 21-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article ,
Prakash writes
Hi,
I have a conifer like shrub in my garden - approx 5-6 feet in height. It has
flat leaves, and the shrub looks a bit like a fan. Could someone tell me
which one this is ? There a picture available at
www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_fir1.jpg . I've looked in the RHS
Encyclopedia of Gardening (its the only gardening book I've got !) and on
the rhs web site too. It seems to resemble something called 'nana aurea'
(http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselect...?plantid=42685).
Would this be correct ?

It belongs to Cupressaceae. My guess would be Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
(Lawson Cypress). The shape of the cones differs between Chamaecyparis
and Thuja, in the former they're "berry-sized" and globular; in the
latter they're elongated. You can usually run your hands over the
foliage of a Thuja and use the scent to identify the species; Thuja
orientalis is the exception. I'd need a field guide to separate the
Chamaecyparis species.

I also have another shrub, and I cannot find this in the RHS book or the
site. There a picture at www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_shrub1.jpg
.Could you please also tell me what this is - I'm clearing out an overgrown
garden and dont want to lose any shrubs etc simply because of my ignorance
of gardening.

I think this is a plant which one frequently sees in retail park
plantings. It's not one I'm familiar with, but I think it's a species of
privet (note the purplish berry in the bottom right corner).

Also ( I'm new to this news group), are the file sizes of the pictures ok,
or do I need to have them in a lower resolution so the files are smaller ?

There's not much point having a picture larger than people's monitors.

Cheers,
Prakash.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Dave Poole

The conifer is almost certainly a form of Chamaecyparis, but it could
as easily be a variety or seedling form of lawsoniana as it could be a
hybrid since the species is so 'free' in that direction and seeds
itself about with great enthusiasm.

The shrub is Lonicera pileata - a spreading, evergreen
bush-honeysuckle with insignificant flowers, widely used for low
hedging up to 1 metre high. Its tendency to 'lounge-about' when
unpruned also makes it a useful shrub for groundcover. It was very
widely planted in large scale amenity projects during the '60's
through to the late '80's and was quite frequently offered in garden
centres. Since then it appears to have fallen out of favour in some
parts of the country. Very easy to grow, tolerant of exposure to salt
winds and pollution. Otherwise a bit of a 'ho-hum' plant.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 21-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Kay

In article ,
Prakash writes

I also have another shrub, and I cannot find this in the RHS book or the
site. There a picture at www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_shrub1.jpg
.Could you please also tell me what this is - I'm clearing out an overgrown
garden and dont want to lose any shrubs etc simply because of my ignorance
of gardening.

Could be quite a few things - wait till it flowers for a good
identification.

My best guess atm is one of the evergreen honeysuckles - Lonicera, not
sure which one. Lonicera pileata? If I'm right, you'd expect very small
tubular flowers on the underside of the branches in spring.

Also ( I'm new to this news group), are the file sizes of the pictures ok,
or do I need to have them in a lower resolution so the files are smaller ?

OK for me, but I'm broadband.
You're doing the right thing in putting them on a website, and all your
urls so far have been spot on - straight to the picture and no 'Error
404'
--
Kay

Old 21-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Kay

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article ,
Prakash writes

I also have another shrub, and I cannot find this in the RHS book or the
site. There a picture at www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/unknown_shrub1.jpg
.Could you please also tell me what this is - I'm clearing out an overgrown
garden and dont want to lose any shrubs etc simply because of my ignorance
of gardening.

I think this is a plant which one frequently sees in retail park
plantings. It's not one I'm familiar with, but I think it's a species of
privet (note the purplish berry in the bottom right corner).

Thanks for spotting that! Purple berry is OK for Lonicera pileata, and
it has become popular recently in municipal plantings.

Also ( I'm new to this news group), are the file sizes of the pictures ok,
or do I need to have them in a lower resolution so the files are smaller ?

There's not much point having a picture larger than people's monitors.

Is that a software thing? It was OK on my monitor, and didn't get too
large till I zoomed in to try to find your purple berry.
--
Kay

Old 21-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Kay

In article , Dave Poole
writes

The shrub is Lonicera pileata - a spreading, evergreen
bush-honeysuckle with insignificant flowers, widely used for low
hedging up to 1 metre high. Its tendency to 'lounge-about' when
unpruned also makes it a useful shrub for groundcover. It was very
widely planted in large scale amenity projects during the '60's
through to the late '80's and was quite frequently offered in garden
centres. Since then it appears to have fallen out of favour in some
parts of the country. Very easy to grow, tolerant of exposure to salt
winds and pollution. Otherwise a bit of a 'ho-hum' plant.

Yes indeed! I'm getting rid of mine!
--
Kay

Old 21-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Prakash

Thanks everyone. I checked up cotonester and Lonicera pileata on rhs and
its a close match to the lonicera. So I guess it is going to come out of the
middle of the garden and move near the hedging on the boundary. Is it a good
time to take a cutting now and move indoors so I can relocate them in the
spring ?

re the conifer, it looks like the pictures of Chamaecyparis that I could
find. It sounds like a good thing to keep, so is it better to leave it where
it is ? i.e right in the middle of a clump of ash trees, or should I try to
dig it up and relocate to a spot with a bit more space ? And if it will
survive a relocation, whens the best time to move it ?

Cheers,
Prakash.

Old 21-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay
writes
There's not much point having a picture larger than people's monitors.

Is that a software thing? It was OK on my monitor, and didn't get too
large till I zoomed in to try to find your purple berry.

IE6 (perhaps others) reduces images to fit the screen. I was using a
different browser. The actual images were about 5M pixels; the largest
monitors reach 2M pixels, and 1M pixel is more normal.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay
writes
I think this is a plant which one frequently sees in retail park
plantings. It's not one I'm familiar with, but I think it's a species of
privet (note the purplish berry in the bottom right corner).

Thanks for spotting that! Purple berry is OK for Lonicera pileata, and
it has become popular recently in municipal plantings.

That's what I was thinking off - I was misrembering privet for privet
honeysuckle.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley