Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Jim Webster

"Hamish" wrote in message

An Engineer or farmer can be quickly trained in all sorts of low skilled
tasks, as can all the young people that also do these jobs. The problem is
it is difficult to train a Tesco shelf stacker to run a farm or design

high
tech
equipment when the need arises.

Given the figure of 60% (from memory) farming families drawing considerable
proportion of their income from non-agricultural sources, this is probably
going to increase

Jim Webster

Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Hamish

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Given the figure of 60% (from memory) farming families drawing
considerable
proportion of their income from non-agricultural sources, this is probably
going to increase

I guess there is a certain attraction to a fixed salary paid every month
over an annual variable cheque.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Old Codger

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Old Codger" wrote in message

I've no idea what a tasty wench is anyway.

I was told you were :-)

That's possibly true. I was all sorts of things. But I can't confirm
until I have a definition ...

It is all in the eye of the beholder but does "younger than me" give
you any sort of clue.

No. Unless you reveal your dob.

Somebody in this group gave their age and birthday (as in its my birthday,
or its my birthday tomorrow), you indicated you were a little younger. I am
just slightly older than the birthday person.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Jim Webster

"Hamish" wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Given the figure of 60% (from memory) farming families drawing
considerable
proportion of their income from non-agricultural sources, this is

probably
going to increase

I guess there is a certain attraction to a fixed salary paid every

month
over an annual variable cheque.

I succumbed to my own curiosity and am currently looking at the report.
Interestingly enough, they seem to remain predominantly self employed, and
most diversifications bring in under about £25,000
(many a lot under, apparently 6% made little of even a loss, although this
could be a function of early years and start up costs)

Jim Webster

Old 08-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Jim Webster

"BAC" wrote in message

"Hamish" wrote in message

"Ludwig Feuerbach" wrote in message

They'd need training to work at Tesco filling shelves or collecting
trolleys so an aptitude test could be the bridge too far.

An Engineer or farmer can be quickly trained in all sorts of low

skilled
tasks, as can all the young people that also do these jobs. The problem

is
it is difficult to train a Tesco shelf stacker to run a farm or design

high
tech
equipment when the need arises.

There's an old saying - it's easy to turn pigs into sausages, but

difficult
to turn sausages into pigs.

yes,
It is interesting, most farmers tend to walk into driving jobs, or those
where the boss can just ask them to do something and leave them to get on
with it without supervision.

Jim Webster

Old 09-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Jim Webster

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:10:53 -0000, "BAC"
Those who run farms are renowned, of course, for their skills.

I don't know about the renown, but don't doubt it takes skill to conduct
agricultural operations efficiently, as might be illustrated by events in
Zimbabwe, perhaps.

Sure, but it's hardly on a par with high tech design.

true, how many high tech designers work on their own or with their family
and on agricultural level funding.

Jim Webster

Old 09-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Jim Webster

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Last year you were all arguing that it would be very difficult for
most farmers to do a different job or to re-train!

Check your sources I have always noted that farmers never seem to want for
work, and most will be looking for something in the form of semi

retirement
anyway

Jim Webster

re-reading, I may owe you a partial apology at least. Retraining is
difficult, because finding the time when running a livestock business means
it is difficult to get the training while still farming.
Getting a job when finished farming doesn't seem to be too big a problem.

Jim Webster

Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Rooney

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:36:37 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

re-reading, I may owe you a partial apology at least.

Wholly accepted, naturally.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Jim Webster

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:43:21 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket "competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Old 10-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Rooney

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:23 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket "competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Ha ha! But to be fair, the colonies were no doubt better off with
first year failures than with what they had beforehand.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Jim Webster

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:23 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first

year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket

"competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Ha ha! But to be fair, the colonies were no doubt better off with
first year failures than with what they had beforehand.

colonies, notoriously, were better supplied with people who could
efficiently inflict injury than they were with people who could
expeditiously treat the same injuries

Jim Webster

Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
BAC

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:23 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first

year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket

"competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Ha ha! But to be fair, the colonies were no doubt better off with
first year failures than with what they had beforehand.

Now, of course, the boot's on the other foot, and we are denuding our
former colonies of medical staff :-(

Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Michael Saunby

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:23 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first
year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket
"competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Ha ha! But to be fair, the colonies were no doubt better off with
first year failures than with what they had beforehand.

And perhaps we should be grateful. For it seems they also started medical
schools and their students now get a "competent to practice medicine in the
UK" ticket.

As for the exams, etc. As we haven't ever tried, in a serious way, to train
those who fail to pass the entrance exams as doctors, we probably have
little idea as to whether the exams are a reliable filter or not. Shipman
passed! Few "alternative" therapists have passed, yet many swear by the
treatments they provide.

Michael Saunby

Old 10-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Rooney

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:42:24 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

Now, of course, the boot's on the other foot, and we are denuding our
former colonies of medical staff :-(

But America is a former colony.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Michael Saunby

wrote:

Now, of course, the boot's on the other foot, and we are denuding our
former colonies of medical staff :-(

But America is a former colony.

Yes, but not one we're proud of.

Michael Saunby