Old 14-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Kay

In article , Bob H
writes

We do have a Russian Vine and I know it does grow *very* well. We have
it on a trellis on the edge of our patio; that should be it grows along
a trellis from about 3ft below. The idea is that it provides a noticble
edge of an otherwise open edged patio, which has a drop of over 2ft.
This year we have noticed that it has done particularly well after
cutting back last backend. It has not flowered in the 3 years we have
had it, but the leaves are a very nice autumny/dark red colour.

That sounds more like Virginia creeper or Boston Ivy - I've not seen
Russian vine anything other than a fairly boring green.
--
Kay

Old 14-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Sacha

On 14/12/04 22:30, in article
, "Bob H"
wrote:
snip
This year we have noticed that it has done particularly well after
cutting back last backend. It has not flowered in the 3 years we have
had it, but the leaves are a very nice autumny/dark red colour.

Thanks for the advice, no I would not place it between myself and my
neighbours, and will look for what you have advised.

I wonder if this IS Russian vine that you have? Polygonum baldschuanicum?
I don't think it's ever shy of flowering and I haven't seen the leaves turn
a good autumn colour, either, though that may just be location, or
something. AFAIK, it's either green leaved and flowering - or not.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Bob H

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

On 14/12/04 11:38, in article
, "John"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour...

Honeysuckle is lovely, but if you want a rampant, unstoppable climber /
weaver/ rambler, get Russian Vine. Very vigorous indeed, nice dense
greenery, nice flowers late summer(?). Your neighbour would need to
keep their side well trimmed too (or you could do it for them), or
they'd find it taking over their house after a couple of years.

So rampant that it should come with a health warning. It's very tempting

people who want a rapid result but oh, the horrors of the reality, later
and if in the wrong place.
Someone just down the lane from us had planted 3 of these things on one
shortish fence - and no, they did NOT come to us for them! I can't begin
to describe what it was like until they yanked two of them out. The sole
survivor is threatening to eat their house and that of their neighbours,
too.
I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone just to cover a fence and
especially not someone who has neighbours! My neighbours in a previous
house planted one and it 'ate' my Albertine rose and Clematis montana
every year without fail, ruining their flowers. Vile thing!
Although it isn't a climber, I have found some types of Ceanothus to grow
quickly and do a great job of concealing things. IIRC, the one I had that
did this was 'Italian Skies'. And a very good and IME, quick climber in a
sunny place, is Solanum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I agree with Sacha for screening a hedge is better than a climber and there
are many more interesting evergreens for the job. Re Russian Vine I have
stopped selling it it just grew too fast and was a complete pain and that
was in a container! however my one in the hedge looks fine and so does one
in the village growing with a hardy Fuchsia but both are hacked back each
year to keep control.

Ok thanks.
Will this one be ok for a sunny but open spot about 45 miles inland on
the East of the penines:
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...indsianum.html
Or this one:
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...m_crispum.html

And if so, wher can I get them from in UK?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 17-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
I have found some types of Ceanothus to grow
quickly and do a great job of concealing things. IIRC, the one I had that
did this was 'Italian Skies'.
planted the same variety this year and it doubled in size and already nearly covers the trellis. hoping the flowers will be more prevalant this year as was disappointed in may