Old 18-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Aardvark

Default Winter Flowering Cherries

I was walking home from the station the other day admiring a
particular house where the garden is looking as good now as it did in
the summer. A real feat of planning.

Naturally they had some cherry trees that were in flower, and it set
me wondering.

Do winter flowering cherries go on to produce fruit, and if they do
when is the fruit visible?

Many thanks to anyone who can satisfy my idle curiosity.

Phil
Old 20-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Victoria Clare

Janet Baraclough.. wrote in
:

The message
from Aardvark contains these
words:

Do winter flowering cherries go on to produce fruit, and if they do
when is the fruit visible?

Certainly the (sterile) double-flowered ones don't, and I've never
seen any on the singleflowered.

I don't think I've ever encountered a cherry flowering at this time of
year. Are these true cherries, and are there any variety names I can
search on to find out more?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 20-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Mike

Ours has never produced fruit, but at the moment it is a mass of blossom

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote in
:

Old 20-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
Ours has never produced fruit, but at the moment it is a mass of blossom

and is a Prunus x Subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rubra' with pink blossom

Old 20-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Jims garden

Mike wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Ours has never produced fruit, but at the moment it is a mass of blossom

and is a Prunus x Subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rubra' with pink blossom

Whether they fruit or not they are still a beautiful plant which
brightens up the scene at this dismal time of year. That and betula
utilis Jacqumontii has been on my 'must get' list for a long time now.

Old 20-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Green door

The species owned by Mike - Prunus x Subhirtella seems to be the most
prevalent.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Phil

Old 20-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Mike

"Green door" wrote in message
ups.com...
The species owned by Mike - Prunus x Subhirtella seems to be the most
prevalent.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Phil

Where I am sitting at the computer and looking out of the patio doors to the
Flowering Cherry, most of it is against the sky and does not contrast very
well, but where part of it has a Lleylandi as a back drop, the dark green
shows up the blossom to its full glory :-))

Mike

Old 20-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Green door

Mike

From where I am sitting, I can see the silhouetted tower blocks of

Clerkenwell. Rows of small sodium lamps pick out the walkways. Each
one highlighting the entrance to a urine soaked lift, or the position
of the stairwells with their graffiti scrawled walls and menace of 180
degree blind corners. Atop each block stands an array of TV aerials
which reach skywards, and sway gently in the light breeze.

It is hard to pick out much detail in the mid December 4 o'clock gloom.
Though at the foot of one block, a bin has been set alight, and is
attracting a few listless kids fed up with doing nothing all day. Some
approach the bin with caution but soon get clear as if they have been
warned away by some hidden menace. Others are content to stand on
balconies, and in doorways a repectable distance that provides the
safety of a quick getaway.

Quite a contrast.

Phil

Old 20-12-2004, 05:28 PM
anton

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I don't think I've ever encountered a cherry flowering at this time of
year.

You've missed a lovely tree!

Are these true cherries, and are there any variety names I can
search on to find out more?

They're true members of the prunus family..the leaves and flowers are
similar in shape to the well-known spring "flowering cherries" though on
a smaller, more elegant scale. There's none of that blowsy,
tart's-boudoir look of Kanzan or Amanogawa.

Nicely put Janet. The yearly enjoyment of my Kanzan does feel like a fling
with a floozy, and until it's outed in the News of the World I won't admit
to it in polite company like urg. ;-)

--
Anton

Old 20-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Rod

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:10:42 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

There's also prunus incisa which flowers in March..not quite so wintry.

As well as the typical P. incisa there's a tiny shrubby form with a
Japanese name I can't remember off the top of my head, and also
weeping form P. incisa 'Pendula' - that is the prettiest daintiest
small weeping tree I know and very few gardens would be too small to
accommodate it if you can find a supplier.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 21-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Sacha

On 20/12/04 5:28 pm, in article , "anton"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message

snip

They're true members of the prunus family..the leaves and flowers are
similar in shape to the well-known spring "flowering cherries" though on
a smaller, more elegant scale. There's none of that blowsy,
tart's-boudoir look of Kanzan or Amanogawa.

Nicely put Janet. The yearly enjoyment of my Kanzan does feel like a fling
with a floozy, and until it's outed in the News of the World I won't admit
to it in polite company like urg. ;-)

The Spectator, surely? ;-) But I'm glad you said that. I've always
enjoyed that waaaay over the topness of those particular cherries.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk