Old 10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Mike

Default Water from a well

We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the fence
line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to do something
about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an abundant supply of
rain water butts off the roofs and garages and propose to discharge the
overflow into said well. Does anybody know what the legal side of this is,
considering we are on water meters?

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
David Pearson

Perhaps it is a bad idea to put runoff directly into
the aquifer? I don't know, it is just something to
think about.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM
suspicious minds

"David Pearson" wrote in message

Perhaps it is a bad idea to put runoff directly into
the aquifer? I don't know, it is just something to
think about.

The roofs may directly contaminate a relatively clean source of water thus
making it unpotable, e.g. with bird droppings or with chemicals etc

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...sion=1&lang=_e
Pollution of surface waters and groundwater
It is an offence for anyone to cause or knowingly permit:

a.. the entry into surface waters or groundwater of solid waste matter, or
of poisonous, noxious or polluting matter, or
b.. the discharge of trade and sewage effluent into surface waters or
groundwater without prior consent from the Environmental Regulator.
It is not an offence to discharge clean surface water runoff (rain runoff
from roofs and yards) to surface waters or groundwater. If there is any risk
of runoff being contaminated (for example by oil drips from cars or roofs
contaminated by chimney emissions), then it is an offence to discharge the
water without a Discharge Consent.

For extraction see below

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...sion=1&lang=_e

What do I need to do?

England and Wales

1. If you abstract water from ground or surface water, you must have an
Abstraction Licence from the Environment Agency unless:

a.. it is a one-off abstraction of not more than 5 cubic metres; or
b.. it is a one-off abstraction of not more than 20 cubic metres and you
have the Environment Agency's written permission; or
c.. It is an abstraction of not more than 20 cubic metres per day from
inland waters by an occupier of land directly adjoining those waters for use
on that land for the domestic purposes of their own household or
agricultural purposes (other than spray irrigation); or
d.. It is an abstraction of not more than 20 cubic metres per day from
groundwater by an individual for the domestic purposes of his household.
2. If you intend to impound water on a watercourse, you will need an
impounding licence from the Environment Agency.

3. Some projects may require an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) as
well as a licence (abstraction or impounding) or consent before they can
proceed. A project is relevant if:

a.. it is a water management project for agriculture, including
irrigation;
b.. in the case of a project involving water abstraction, the amounts
abstracted exceed 20 cubic metres in 24 hours; and
c.. it would be likely to have significant effects on the environment due
to its nature, size or location.
Click on the link below for more information or contact your local
Environment Agency office to determine if this applies to your project.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:09 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Mike wrote:

We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the fence
line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to do something
about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an abundant supply of
rain water butts off the roofs and garages and propose to discharge the
overflow into said well. Does anybody know what the legal side of this is,
considering we are on water meters?

You probably wouldn't gain anything. The level of water in a well is
determined by the level of the surrounding water table.

David

--
David Rance http://www.rance.org.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 11-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Charlie Pridham

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Mike wrote:

We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the fence
line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to do something
about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an abundant supply of
rain water butts off the roofs and garages and propose to discharge the
overflow into said well. Does anybody know what the legal side of this

is,
considering we are on water meters?

You probably wouldn't gain anything. The level of water in a well is
determined by the level of the surrounding water table.

David

--
David Rance http://www.rance.org.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Putting water down a well would be frowned on, but you are perfectly
entitled to use the water from it for your own use. the rule of thumb is
worked by the size of the delivery pipe, if you use larger than a domestic
pipe (15mm) then strictly speaking they can charge you for the water
abstracted by fitting a meter!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Mike

d.. It is an abstraction of not more than 20 cubic metres per day from
groundwater by an individual for the domestic purposes of his household.

Reading that, I don't feel we have to do anything, especially as it is only
for watering plants/gardens/greenhouses when rain tubs and barrels are dry
from a 'hot summer'.

Many thanks

Mike

Old 11-01-2005, 01:54 PM
John Taverner

This is a common situation with Victorian semis. We had a well in the wall
between us and next door. We used a cheap fountain pump to suck up the water
and use on garden when hosepipe bans were in place,

We always queried the legality

JT

Old 11-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the
:: fence line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to
:: do something about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an
:: abundant supply of rain water butts off the roofs and garages and
:: propose to discharge the overflow into said well. Does anybody
:: know what the legal side of this is, considering we are on water
:: meters?
::
I'm a bit confused here, you say 'use the water therein', but then say that
you intend to use the well as a drain for excess rainwater?
Where do the water meters come into the equation?
If you intend using it as a drain for excess rainwater then I can't see any
problems, after all, it would end up in the well anyway if you didn't use
butts to collect it.
If you need *more* water in sumer then you can use the water from the well,
it's on your land after all but I think you'll find it more of a strain than
switching the hosepipe on.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Mike

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Mike wrote:
:: We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the
:: fence line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to
:: do something about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an
:: abundant supply of rain water butts off the roofs and garages and
:: propose to discharge the overflow into said well. Does anybody
:: know what the legal side of this is, considering we are on water
:: meters?
::
I'm a bit confused here, you say 'use the water therein', but then say

that
you intend to use the well as a drain for excess rainwater?

Sorry. Bad explanation. We intend to run the excess water when the butts are
full, into the well. (Not as a drain as it appears) Then use it when we
want. Hope that makes sense now ;-))

Where do the water meters come into the equation?

All of the Isle of Wight is supplied by Southern Water, who installed water
meters into the supply so we pay on a consumption basis. Therefore, in the
dry spells we try not to use the hose off the mains, therefore the well
would be ideal.

If you intend using it as a drain for excess rainwater then I can't see

any
problems, after all, it would end up in the well anyway if you didn't use
butts to collect it.

At present, any excess from the butts just goes onto the path/gardens or out
onto the road where it ends up in the Council Drains

If you need *more* water in sumer then you can use the water from the

well,
it's on your land after all but I think you'll find it more of a strain

than
switching the hosepipe on.

I will be working with Tony my new neighbour to get a submersible pump and
possibly a hand pump (will have to calculate lift for both methods) for both
our uses. I expect he will be requiring much more than us as Heather, his
wife, is a greenhouse nut and that was the first thing they got
sorted....... her greenhouse :-))

Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
bigboard

Mike wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message

I'm a bit confused here, you say 'use the water therein', but then say

that
you intend to use the well as a drain for excess rainwater?

Sorry. Bad explanation. We intend to run the excess water when the butts
are full, into the well. (Not as a drain as it appears) Then use it when
we want. Hope that makes sense now ;-))

There is absolutely no point in diverting excess rain water to the well for
later use. The level in the well is determined by the local water table. A
well is not a water storage tank, but rather a hole dug down to the water
table. The negligible amount you could add from your roof would make no
discernable difference to the water level.

--
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it
wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
David Rance

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, bigboard wrote:

Sorry. Bad explanation. We intend to run the excess water when the butts
are full, into the well. (Not as a drain as it appears) Then use it when
we want. Hope that makes sense now ;-))

There is absolutely no point in diverting excess rain water to the well for
later use. The level in the well is determined by the local water table. A
well is not a water storage tank, but rather a hole dug down to the water
table. The negligible amount you could add from your roof would make no
discernable difference to the water level.

I wrote the same thing yesterday! If two of us agree then it must be
true! ;-)

David

Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Mike

There is absolutely no point in diverting excess rain water to the well

for
later use. The level in the well is determined by the local water table. A
well is not a water storage tank, but rather a hole dug down to the water
table. The negligible amount you could add from your roof would make no
discernable difference to the water level.

Hadn't thought of that. Thank you :-))

Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Bmitch

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Putting water down a well would be frowned on, but you are perfectly
entitled to use the water from it for your own use. the rule of thumb is
worked by the size of the delivery pipe, if you use larger than a domestic
pipe (15mm) then strictly speaking they can charge you for the water
abstracted by fitting a meter!

I wonder...

The implication of that is that the water company actually *own* all the
water on and within the Isle of Wight (in this case), whereas I'd have
thought they owned the means of collection, purification and delivery.

If one turned one's whole garden into a reservoir, I can't see that the
water company could charge you for use of the collected water no matter
what the diameter of pipe used to move it about.

But if all the water in a given area *is* the property of the local
water company, people whose houses get flooded should be able to sue
them for failing to properly control their property. Should be an
interesting case!

Brian Mitchell
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Bmitch" wrote in message
[...]

If you collect water then its yours, but if the water is part of the water
table then it is not, you do however have limited rights to use water from
below your land but there is a system of regulation as any thing you do
effects everyone else. Even water companies can not extract any amount they
like. The actual details are quite involved but as I said there is a rule of
thumb :~)
It is a similar situation hereabouts with minerals, I do not own the ones
below my property although I do apparently have the right of support from
the land, now there a comforting thought!

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM