Old 10-01-2005, 10:57 PM
abraham

Default mature tree planting

I need approx 4 mature trees 13 foot high to plant at the end of my garden
after the man at the back cut down all his large trees to buid an extension.
I can get leyllandi at £74.00 but there may be a law against tall leyllandi.
Is there any other options available. A spanich man who lives in my street
said to try Figs but I fear they will not grow to 13 foot for several years
and would attract squireels

Abraham

Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered User

[quote=abraham
I can get leyllandi at £74.00 but there may be a law against tall leyllandi.
Abraham[/QUOTE]

Not leyllandi whatever you do! Some sort of ash might be nice, they're fairly quick growing I believe...?

bob
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Kay

In article , abraham
writes
I need approx 4 mature trees 13 foot high to plant at the end of my garden
after the man at the back cut down all his large trees to buid an extension.
I can get leyllandi at £74.00 but there may be a law against tall leyllandi.

The law applies to any nuisance hedge, not just leylandii. Talk to your
neighbour to see if he would regard it as a nuisance. It needs regularly
trimming (sides as well as top), and he would have to do that his side,
or allow you access to do it.

Is there any other options available. A spanich man who lives in my street
said to try Figs but I fear they will not grow to 13 foot for several years
and would attract squireels

Very big and sprawly, not very dense for their size. I wouldn't have
thought squirrels a problem - they don't go for my figs.
--
Kay

Old 11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Phil L

abraham wrote:
:: I need approx 4 mature trees 13 foot high to plant at the end of
:: my garden after the man at the back cut down all his large trees
:: to buid an extension. I can get leyllandi at £74.00 but there may
:: be a law against tall leyllandi. Is there any other options
:: available. A spanich man who lives in my street said to try Figs
:: but I fear they will not grow to 13 foot for several years and
:: would attract squireels
::

Does his extension border your garden?
I'm not much of a gardener but I would be hesitant in planting something
like this so close to someone else's property, if the roots cause any
structural damage, you could find yourself liable, and I can say from
experience that this type of groundwork is *very* expensive.

If his extension is set back, then you could plant pretty much what you
like, why not put up a chain-link fence and have a climber like Michelle's
in the thread below, 'Lega/Ethical Dillema' ?
--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Phil L

abraham wrote:
:: Phil, are you saying to use a 13 foot high chain link fence...
::
:: Abraham

You can get chain link in 12 ft widths, you will need poles to attach it to
and then grow climbers up it, this would take no longer than a couple of
seasons.
Advantages:

it's cheap.
it's easy to erect, one person could put it up in less than a day.
It's safe in high winds as the wind passes through it.
It looks good when covered in flowers and foilage.
It wont destroy foundations or drains of adjacent properties.
It won't attract squirrels.
It's maintenance free.

Disadvantages:
It's ugly when first erected.

Your original suggestion of buying 13 ft trees is a tad ridiculous because
how long do you think they will stay at 13 ft?

Advantages:
It's instant cover, hiding an ugly building
Er that's it.

Disadvantages:
It never stops growing and you'll have to get up ladders every year to trim
it.
They will attract squirrels.
They are dangerous in high winds.
They will find any weakness in surrounding drains and could cause subsidence
in your neighbours property(s).
Have you ever tried to plant a 13 ft tree?, or carry one for that matter?

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 AM
pk

Kay wrote:
..

The law applies to any nuisance

Evergreen

hedge, not just leylandii.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
abraham wrote:
point taken, I think the chain link fence is favorite but what are the best
clibers to grow up It fast

Annuals. Not excluding runner beans (attractive red flowers and
edible, too).

Container-grown perennials (honeysuckles, clematis, jasmines and
many others) typically don't really get going until their second
year. You need to watch out for these, as they can make a fence
very heavy, catch the wind and it can go over.

I recommend planting the former interleaved with the latter.

You need durable posts sunk into the ground at least 1/3 of their
height, or 1/2 in light soils in windy conditions. That isn't as
hard to do as it sounds, except in very stony soil. For a 13' fence,
I would contract to have it done - I have never done one higher than
10', and that was a right b*gger - 7' is much easier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mature Cherry Tree squaredog Gardening 5 02-03-2012 03:31 AM
Mature Tree Removal? andrewpreece United Kingdom 7 11-01-2005 06:14 PM
Help Needed: Semi Mature Tree Sourcing Weby United Kingdom 2 02-11-2004 10:17 AM
Where can I buy a mature dwarf Cherry tree in the NYC area? Larry Racies Edible Gardening 9 19-04-2004 12:03 AM
want to grow new tree/plants from cuttings of mature ones Kevin Gardening 9 20-02-2004 08:23 AM