Old 10-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Alan Gould

Default Cleaning fleece

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
We used to have cow heel stew during the war and meat rationing ...

And a broth of calf's-heel jelly was always considered to be beneficial
to people in convalescence. To return to topic, the same animal material
is also used to produce hoof and horn meal as used by some gardeners,
but I think that is ground up raw rather than boiled and rendered.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:19 PM
DaveDay34

I've heard that but have you ever tried chewing more than the edges of a
skin? I don't know how it was done ...

Mary

You fold the skin over!

Dave.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Mary Fisher

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I've heard that but have you ever tried chewing more than the edges of a
skin? I don't know how it was done ...

Mary

You fold the skin over!

Dave.

You really haven't tried it, have you?

:-)

Mary

Old 10-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Mary Fisher

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
writes
We used to have cow heel stew during the war and meat rationing ...

And a broth of calf's-heel jelly was always considered to be beneficial
to people in convalescence. To return to topic, the same animal material
is also used to produce hoof and horn meal as used by some gardeners,
but I think that is ground up raw rather than boiled and rendered.

Is it still allowed post BSE?

I'm serious ...

Mary
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
And a broth of calf's-heel jelly was always considered to be beneficial
to people in convalescence. To return to topic, the same animal material
is also used to produce hoof and horn meal as used by some gardeners,
but I think that is ground up raw rather than boiled and rendered.

Is it still allowed post BSE?

AFAIK all BSE based restrictions have been lifted, so that would seem to
include h&h for gardening purposes, or presumably cow or calf-heel for
human consumption. Ox-tail is in much the same territory and that is
regularly seen on sale in butchers and supermarkets.

Animal based fertilisers other than dung and urine have always been
controversial in the organic gardening sense. Hoof & horn, bone meal,
dried blood, fish, blood and bone etc. are not recommended for regular
use in the (pre BSE) HDRA guidelines, but they have appeared in the
Chase/HDRA Organic Gardening Catalogue. At present it carries h&h and
bone meal, but not the others. Vegetarians and vegans prefer not to use
fertilisers made from animal parts, but they use their manure. We avoid
them on animal welfare grounds, but some organic gardeners use them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Mary Fisher

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

Is it still allowed post BSE?

AFAIK all BSE based restrictions have been lifted, so that would seem to
include h&h for gardening purposes, or presumably cow or calf-heel for
human consumption. Ox-tail is in much the same territory and that is
regularly seen on sale in butchers and supermarkets.

I know but I thought I read somewhere that bone products for the garden were
verboten.

Animal based fertilisers other than dung and urine snip

We avoid
them on animal welfare grounds,

Why is that? hoof and horn and even blood are products of the
slaughterhouse, animals are slaughtered for food. I'm not challenging, just
asking.

Mary
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

We avoid
them on animal welfare grounds,

Why is that? hoof and horn and even blood are products of the
slaughterhouse, animals are slaughtered for food. I'm not challenging, just
asking.

It goes back to our goat-keeping times. A lot of our goat milk went to
people with allergies to bovine produce. Health advisers pointed out
that some problems could arise from bovine animal blood or bone nasties
entering the food chain through the herbage and then into the milk. We
don't need to use that kind of fertiliser anyway because we have plenty
of organic compost - partly made from stable and farmyard manure!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:26 PM
DaveDay34

You really haven't tried it, have you?

:-)

Mary

Mary, are you doubting the fact, or just amazed that that is how it's been done
for several thousand years by various people around the world?

Dave.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:35 PM
Mary Fisher

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
You really haven't tried it, have you?

:-)

Mary

Mary, are you doubting the fact, or just amazed that that is how it's been

done
for several thousand years by various people around the world?

I'm doubting that you have tried it. I have, it is extremely difficult.

Mary

Dave.