Old 17-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Doggie

Default cheap wild flower seed supplier?

I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

Old 17-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?
whoever you eventually get them from it would be best to make sure the seeds are from native stock. Personally I use Naturscape in Nottingham. www.naturescape.co.uk. very good service and a wonderful place to visit in mid June.

Regards
Chris
Old 17-01-2005, 10:35 PM
ned

"mothman" wrote in message

Doggie Wrote:
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to
brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

whoever you eventually get them from it would be best to make sure

the
seeds are from native stock. Personally I use Naturscape in

Nottingham.
www.naturescape.co.uk. very good service and a wonderful place to

visit
in mid June.

Three other sites you might like to look at
http://www.ernest-charles.com/acatal...Gardening.html
www.npk.u-net.com
www.growingwildflowers.com

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 17-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Mike Lyle

ned wrote:
"mothman" wrote in message

Doggie Wrote:
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to
brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

whoever you eventually get them from it would be best to make sure
the seeds are from native stock. Personally I use Naturscape in
Nottingham. www.naturescape.co.uk. very good service and a

wonderful
place to visit in mid June.

Three other sites you might like to look at
http://www.ernest-charles.com/acatal...Gardening.html
www.npk.u-net.com
www.growingwildflowers.com

And it's best not to scatter seeds: the damn wild life eats them. For
best results, grow them on, and plant out the seedlings.

If you want to get technical, there are sometimes also issues with
the provenance of wildflower seeds. I won't go into scientific
detail, as it doesn't matter much in most areas; but in sensitive
habitats there may be a strain of otherwise ordinary flower X which
blooms Y days later than the type, and so feeds invertebrate Z just
in time to feed the young of bird B...etc. As I say, it doesn't
matter in most places, but one needs to be aware of the problem when
innocently boosting plant populations on islands or other isolated
micro-eco-systems.

Mike.

Old 18-01-2005, 12:01 PM
davek

"Doggie" wrote in message
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

Well, a couple of years ago I decided to commence a wildflower bank at our
sports&social club in Cheshire. Some fund raising allowed me £130 which I
spent at the National Wildflower Centre, Liverpool. The packs are about 20%
flower seeds, it's bulked up with various grasses which look quite good but
I think that's very expensive.
Late last summer a member was driving past Wheeldon Copse near Delamere and
advised me to go and have a look. Wow, several hectares of farmland which
has been deep ploughed and planted with tons of wildflower seeds and
deciduous
tree seedlings. A notice on the stile proclaims it to be a group project
with the Countryside Commission and various other bodies inlcuding the
National Wildflower Centre. It invites you to help yourself to seeds as they
ripen and spread them about, -in your garden, in the hedgerows, when you are
out walking. In September I filled carrier bags with seeds of cornflowers,
ragged robin,poppies and all sorts of other stuff I can't remember. Have
planted them on the bank and it's a carpet of seedlings at present. Hope
they don't get attacked by the severe frosts which are prevalent here.
The Ordnance Survey map reference for Wheeldon Copse is: SJ 51392 73451.
DaveK.