Old 25-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Franz Heymann

"CK" wrote in message
Hi,

One of the principle of organic gardening is 'Planting for the

future',
therefore, we should think about all the natural factors.
You can find out the reason of a no-dig system from the two webpages

of
HDRA:

Some time you should take off time to read up about =the bad long term
effects of over manuring.

[snip]

Franz

Old 25-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Johnboy

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Janet Baraclough wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
::
::
::: My seed potatoes are beginning to sprout, but the garden is
::: nowhere ready to plant them!
::
::: It will take me at least another couple of months to work up the
::: energy to get up out of my chair and go into the garden, the
::: chances of digging the garden are just as remote!
::
::: What can I do?
::
:: Order a few tons of topsoil, lay the potatoes on the garden
:: surface, cover them with topsoil.
::

But he'd still have to get out of his chair.....maybe a catapult might

help?

Wile E Coyote is an expert in this field, with a rocket propelled armchair
he could get the job done in half the time, beep beep!

Old 25-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Cumberpach

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Cumberpach" wrote in message

My seed potatoes are beginning to sprout, but the garden is nowhere
ready to plant them!

Exactly whereabouts are you sprouting them ? Shed, garage, house ?

Indoors, on the kitchen window, but having read your article that yours
are in the shed, I'll move mine into the shed.

My neighbour always starts his off indoors. Over the w/end, he will move
them to his shed. Until this cold snap (?) is over, he will also keep them
covered at night.

Old 25-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

My seed potatoes are beginning to sprout, but the garden is nowhere
ready to plant them!

It will take me at least another couple of months to work up the
energy to get up out of my chair and go into the garden, the
chances of digging the garden are just as remote!

What can I do?

Order a few tons of topsoil, lay the potatoes on the garden surface,
cover them with topsoil.

Don't be flippant! ;-)
The last time I planted potatoes, I laid them on the surface and covered
them with the contents of my compost heap. I was well satisfied with the
results.
--
Kay

Old 25-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , CK
writes
I am also a newbie in organic gardening though I started growing stuff when
I was in secondary school. I am still learning myself. If you don't like
'organic gardening' or 'permaculture' or any new ideas about 'planting for
the future', it is your choice.

I think this newsgroup is for people to share their experience or knowledge.
It is a place for discussion. I have no time for debate. Besides, the
weather will become warmer soon, I would prefer start sowing seeds.

This newsgroup regularly discusses organic gardening. Contributions
about any aspect of organic practices, including dissenting ones, are
welcome here and are helpful in broadening the general knowledge of that
style of gardening. Franz and any other urg sceptics are entitled to
their opinion, and they are entitled to express them here providing they
avoid inaccuracies or personal abuse. The same applies to those in
favour of organic methods. To help those who would like to be better
informed, and to be better able to discuss the subject in this group an
urg FAQ about organic gardening has been prepared and can be seen at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 26-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"CK" wrote in message

[snip]

Hope I have made my points clear.

Yes.
Perhaps clearer than you had meant to?

Franz

Old 26-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Kay contains these words:

[...]

Without getting out of your armchair ? What long arms you have

:-)

Here's a better idea; push a peanut into the ground where-ever

you
want a potato plant, and place some bowls of catfood around the

garden.

Squirrel digs hole and removes nut. Alan opens window and tosses a
potato into each hole. Cats add manure and fill in the holes.

That's much better.
{:-))

Franz

Old 26-02-2005, 11:37 AM
CK

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the link to the FAQ page. I will have a look on it.

When I was a teacher, I told my students I could give them information I
knew and my opinion but it was up to them to make up their own decision, as
we are all responsible for our own lives. That is the reason I often signed
at the end 'Hope it can help'.

With regards,
CK

Old 26-02-2005, 03:34 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:37:00 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

[...]

Janet

I've a better idea.

Dig a hole and bury CONwoman trash in it :-)

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 26-02-2005, 07:44 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

My seed potatoes are beginning to sprout, but the garden is nowhere
ready to plant them!

It will take me at least another couple of months to work up the
energy to get up out of my chair and go into the garden, the
chances of digging the garden are just as remote!

What can I do?

Get yourself some old car tyres and start planting them in those. PLace one
on the ground, fill with compost, plant spuds in, put another on top put
more compost in. WHen green shoots appear out of the compost, shove another
car tyre on and fill with compost.
You can usually get tyres free at any scrap yard who will be only too glad
to give them to you.

Oroxylum indicum - Midnight Horror Tree Aozotorp Plant Science 2 21-12-2003 10:33 AM
Horror Story - Paint in Pond Lynn Strickland Ponds 5 18-12-2003 08:02 PM
Morning horror FBCS Ponds 27 09-08-2003 09:22 PM
pH shock or not? Skunky Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM