Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Jim Lesurf

Default keeping seeds

Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy some packets
of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)

I decided to buy a bigger variety of packets of seeds than I can probably
cope with first time around. (Decided it was better to have a choice to
hand than to find I wanted more.) This prompts two questions:

1) If I keep some packets unopened, will they still be OK next year, and
provide a germination rate similar to if I use them soon?

2) Is it viable to open a packet and use *some* of the seeds, and somehow
reseal the packet and keep others for next year?

Or is this absurdly 'frugal' and unlikely to provide any useful seeds for
the next year? i.e. would either of the above be pretty pointless as a new
packet next year would only cost a pound or two, so trying to keep them
isn't worth the effort?

In each case, if practical, what would be the best storage conditions?
Would indoors in a sealed plastic bag be OK for opened packets? Include a
pack of silica gel?...

I don't have a greenhouse, or conservatory, etc. So can only grow either by
sowing directly outside, or by starting off with small trays/pots in
plastic bags on widowsills.

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html

On Keeping seeds cool?? Bill who putters Gardening 2 23-08-2009 10:04 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
keeping seeds shazzbat United Kingdom 3 20-04-2005 03:17 PM
[IBC] Record keeping Carol Widger Bonsai 0 17-02-2003 08:29 PM
Keeping a Hole Open...an idea... BenignVanilla Ponds 5 06-02-2003 02:49 PM