Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Jim Lesurf

Default keeping seeds

Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy some packets
of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)

I decided to buy a bigger variety of packets of seeds than I can probably
cope with first time around. (Decided it was better to have a choice to
hand than to find I wanted more.) This prompts two questions:

1) If I keep some packets unopened, will they still be OK next year, and
provide a germination rate similar to if I use them soon?

2) Is it viable to open a packet and use *some* of the seeds, and somehow
reseal the packet and keep others for next year?

Or is this absurdly 'frugal' and unlikely to provide any useful seeds for
the next year? i.e. would either of the above be pretty pointless as a new
packet next year would only cost a pound or two, so trying to keep them
isn't worth the effort?

In each case, if practical, what would be the best storage conditions?
Would indoors in a sealed plastic bag be OK for opened packets? Include a
pack of silica gel?...

I don't have a greenhouse, or conservatory, etc. So can only grow either by
sowing directly outside, or by starting off with small trays/pots in
plastic bags on widowsills.

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:27:21 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf wrote:

Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy some packets
of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)

I decided to buy a bigger variety of packets of seeds than I can probably
cope with first time around. (Decided it was better to have a choice to
hand than to find I wanted more.) This prompts two questions:

1) If I keep some packets unopened, will they still be OK next year, and
provide a germination rate similar to if I use them soon?

Most seeds keep for a couple of years at least. But it depends on the sort
of plants. There's usually a best-by or sow-by date on the packet, if not
I'd assume it'd be ok next year but with a little less germination rate.

2) Is it viable to open a packet and use *some* of the seeds, and somehow
reseal the packet and keep others for next year?

Of course.
Just fold the packets over so the seeds don't fall out and keep them
frost-free, and away from damp. I keep all my open packets in a shoebox in
the kitchen.

Or is this absurdly 'frugal' and unlikely to provide any useful seeds for
the next year? i.e. would either of the above be pretty pointless as a new
packet next year would only cost a pound or two, so trying to keep them
isn't worth the effort?

In each case, if practical, what would be the best storage conditions?
Would indoors in a sealed plastic bag be OK for opened packets? Include a
pack of silica gel?...

I don't think the silica is necessary unless you keep the opened seed
packets in a damp place.

--
Tim C.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Phil L

Jim Lesurf wrote:
:: Being fairly new to gardening I am starting my first ever "buy
:: some packets of seeds and try growing from seed" experience. :-)
::
[...]

I've recently sown tomatoes, onions, sprouts, petunias and impatiens - all
these were from unopened packets which went out of date in 1999....it's more
of an experiment really, I just wanted to see if the seeds were still viable
after so long, if they don't grow then I can purchase seedlings like I did
last year, but I'm confidant that they will germinate.
They had been kept ina sealed biscuit tin on top of a kitchen cupboard for
at least 5 years and I have placed the unused seeds back into ther foil
inner packets and folded them over and put them in their respective paper
packets for next year, provided this lot grow.

I do have a greenhouse but not heated and so I'm in the same boat as you
with the window sills, which I've monitored and found to have fairly
constant temperatures of 64 - 76 deg F in an unheated room, perfect for most
of the seeds I have but a little too cold for tomatoes and chillis which are
on a heated window sill near a radiator...the main problem I m having (as
someone pointed out in another thread) is humidity - the compost keeps
drying out and needs to be misted over a couple of times per day...it was
fine with cling film over it until the seedlings popped up, they are now an
inch high (chillis from a pod and french marigolds from last years dried up
flowerheads)
I don't think it's 'absurdly frugal' at all...those who are selling the
seeds want you to purchase new ones every year...we'll see just how many 6
year old seeds germinate in the next week or two, and if they do, how many 7
year old ones germinate next year!

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Jim Lesurf

Thanks to everyone for the replies/comments. :-)

I now feel encouraged to try using some seeds and keeping some 'behind my
ear' for later. FWIW my first experiments will probably be with:

Potentilla T&M 2570 Fireball Mixed

Aquilegia x Hybrida T&M 7851 Crown Jewels Mixed

Then once I get the delusion that I have some idea what I am doing I'll go
on to some other seeds - e.g. some Penstemons.

The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to some
months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in their
pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

I have some "Arthur Bower's Peat Pots" that I plan to use. The ones in
front of me as I write this (still in their plastic wrap) are linked sets
of 12 square 4cm pots in linked arrays of 12. I plan to use these, and put
each set of 12 into a plastic bag and put them on a windowsill. Leave until
germination and the plants seem OK. Just put one or two seed in each small
pot. Then cut up into individual pots and plant out in the post once the
seedlings look 'ready'.

Does the above seem OK?

Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to some
months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in their
pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

Not if the plastic bag is not clear - some seeds are likely to germinate
earlier, and they'd need light. There's also more chance of damping off
if you leave them in sealed conditions.

When I'm not using a heated propagator I cover the "trays" (recycled
plastic ice-cream cartons) with clingfilm. Then one can see when the
plant have germinated.

For pots, I sometimes use half a plastic lemonade bottle as a mini-
cloche.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to
some months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in
their pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

Not if the plastic bag is not clear - some seeds are likely to germinate
earlier, and they'd need light. There's also more chance of damping off
if you leave them in sealed conditions.

The bags I have in mind are large 'sandwich' or 'freezer' bags from Tesco.
They seem fairly clear, so will these be OK? My plan is to either use ones
with a resealable opening or wind the opening together and hold with a
tie-wrap.

When I'm not using a heated propagator I cover the "trays" (recycled
plastic ice-cream cartons) with clingfilm. Then one can see when the
plant have germinated.

I've noticed suggestions to use cling film. However I wasn't confident this
would continue to grip and remain sealed for a number of weeks when in the
presence of damp contents. Is it reliable? The Pontentilla and some of the
other seeds specify germination times of 1-3 *months* so I am concerned
that this may be a long time for the bag or film to contain the
air/moisture.

I'm also planning to use some old ice-cream cartons as the outer 'trays' to
hold a few of the 'peat pots' in bags. :-) However I am hoping the linked
sets of 12 square pots I am starting with will be OK without the ice cream
box. I'll know better once they are filled with compost and soaked. :-)

Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Kay

In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The bags I have in mind are large 'sandwich' or 'freezer' bags from Tesco.
They seem fairly clear, so will these be OK? My plan is to either use ones
with a resealable opening or wind the opening together and hold with a
tie-wrap.

I do this, and it enables you easily to add water if necessary. If you
have a big enough bag, you can open the top after germination and let
the seedlings get used to the new environment gradually before removing
the bag completely

When I'm not using a heated propagator I cover the "trays" (recycled
plastic ice-cream cartons) with clingfilm. Then one can see when the
plant have germinated.

I've noticed suggestions to use cling film. However I wasn't confident this
would continue to grip and remain sealed for a number of weeks when in the
presence of damp contents. Is it reliable? The Pontentilla and some of the
other seeds specify germination times of 1-3 *months* so I am concerned
that this may be a long time for the bag or film to contain the
air/moisture.

Use a big piece of cling film, and even wen it finally loses its stick
you can still wrap it around the pot or tray and tuck it in underneath.

--
Kay

Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Kay

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes

The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to some
months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in their
pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

Not if the plastic bag is not clear - some seeds are likely to germinate
earlier, and they'd need light. There's also more chance of damping off
if you leave them in sealed conditions.

I thought he was talking about pre-germination? Is there a problem with
leaving them in the bag while they haven't germinated?

Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Kay

In article , Jim Lesurf jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk writes
The instructions on the packs all tend to say germination times up to some
months. Is it correct that it should be OK to keep the seeds in their
pots/trays in a 'sealed' plastic bag for that long?

Yes

I have some "Arthur Bower's Peat Pots" that I plan to use. The ones in
front of me as I write this (still in their plastic wrap) are linked sets
of 12 square 4cm pots in linked arrays of 12. I plan to use these, and put
each set of 12 into a plastic bag and put them on a windowsill. Leave until
germination and the plants seem OK. Just put one or two seed in each small
pot. Then cut up into individual pots and plant out in the post once the
seedlings look 'ready'.

If you ever buy any bedding plants in those little flimsy plastic trays,
it's worth saving them for seeds - you can plant a few seeds in each
compartment then push them out in a plug when you want to plant out, You
can get a few years use out of them before they split beyond all
usefulness.

Egg boxes are another possibility
--
Kay

Old 14-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay
writes
Not if the plastic bag is not clear - some seeds are likely to germinate
earlier, and they'd need light. There's also more chance of damping off
if you leave them in sealed conditions.

I thought he was talking about pre-germination? Is there a problem with
leaving them in the bag while they haven't germinated?

Some seeds require light for germination, but apart from that, in a
slow-germinating batch of seeds germination is likely to spread over a
fair amount of time - so depending on when he removes the bag either
half the seeds haven't germinated yet, or the other half have produced
etiolated seedlings. A clear bag or a mini-cloche should be OK.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Some seeds require light for germination, but apart from that, in a
slow-germinating batch of seeds germination is likely to spread over a
fair amount of time - so depending on when he removes the bag either
half the seeds haven't germinated yet, or the other half have produced
etiolated seedlings. A clear bag or a mini-cloche should be OK.

Indeed. Seeds either germinate "to order" when the conditions are
right, or "erratically" - corresponding to two different evolutionary
strategies. I can't think of any that delay for a long time and then
all germinate at once without an environmental trigger (i.e. behave
like cicidas do). Can you?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
A clear bag or a mini-cloche should be OK.

Tell you what \i've just realised............. Charlie was saying that
he sued clear plastic tubs for propagating and cuttings so he could see
roots forming. Well the ideal containers for decent sized stuff might be
those new clear tubs that hold the liquid soap capsules such as fairy or
Persil. They are quite deep and would hold the plants/cuttings for a
while with plenty of air in the top to protect the new growth.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Jim Lesurf

In article ,
Warwick wrote:
In article ,
says...
Thanks to everyone for the replies/comments. :-)

Aquilegia x Hybrida T&M 7851 Crown Jewels Mixed

The rest of the discussion has covered the bags 'n stuff so I'll just
point out that Aquilegia are one of those odd seeds that seem to
sometimes needs the right conditions to persuade them to grow. If they
haven't appeared after a month, stick the box in the fridge for a week
or two. I think the cold and then the warmth gets them in the spring
mood as it were. They can take up to three months to appear so don't
give up on that barren looking seed tray for some time.

Thanks for the above tip. The seed packet does warn they may take 1-3
months to germinate, but nothing about a spell in the fridge helping. So if
there is no sign of activity I'll give it a try.

I have now also experimented with putting some sweet pea seeds into some
pots in a bag on the window-sill. The packet advised putting the seeds in
"warm water overnight" first. However I had no real idea what constituted
"warm" in this context. I put them in water in small contained sitting
above a fan oven for a couple of hours (water just cool to the finger) in
the evening, then left them overnight, then shoved them in the pots in the
morning.

Slainte,

Jim

--
Electronics
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html

On Keeping seeds cool?? Bill who putters Gardening 2 23-08-2009 10:04 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
keeping seeds shazzbat United Kingdom 3 20-04-2005 03:17 PM
[IBC] Record keeping Carol Widger Bonsai 0 17-02-2003 08:29 PM
Keeping a Hole Open...an idea... BenignVanilla Ponds 5 06-02-2003 02:49 PM