Old 05-01-2003, 11:33 PM
mollymac

Default Hi there .....

sorry to interrupt you all, but I just had a couple of questions, if anyone
can help.

1. I was wondering if anyone, Hampshire way, knows whereabouts near Alton,
Monsieur Titchmarsh is/has moved to? Just curious, as don't live far.

2. Does anyone know what the best garden centre near Basingstoke is? I'm
in Old Basing, have lived here just over 2 years, and have still not
discovered a really great one (for comparison, I'm thinking of Ayletts on
the ring road nr. St. Albans, Hertfordshire, which always had a fantastic
choice of plants).

Any help gratefully received. Thank you!

Pam

Old 06-01-2003, 11:38 AM
flake

"mollymac" wrote in message
(with a snip..)
2. Does anyone know what the best garden centre near Basingstoke is?

I'm
in Old Basing, have lived here just over 2 years, and have still not
discovered a really great one (for comparison, I'm thinking of Ayletts on
the ring road nr. St. Albans, Hertfordshire, which always had a fantastic
choice of plants).

Ayletts is hard to beat - one of the top garden centres in the country.
You've been spoilt if Ayletts is your main experience of garden centres !

For good-priced bedding and sundries, I like LongAcres on the A30 around
Bagshot way. Theres is also a Hilliers, Country Gardens and Notcutts along
the same stretch between Sunningdale and Camberley so maybe worth taking the
A30 for that stretch of the M3 if/when you do that journey. Hilliers &
Notcutts are better for shrubs IMO. While you're in the area, the M&S at
Camberley is second only to Marble Arch - open 7 days. For sheer choice of
perennials & shrubs I hack down to Wisley. Bit expensive but I still love
it - I'm like the proverbial kid-in-a-candystore The bookshop is also an
expensive place for me to visit ... )

Have fun exploring ! Diane

Old 07-01-2003, 06:04 PM
mollymac

Shrubs are what I'm after really - trying to stock my borders up, so I don't
see just brown fence (or the neighbours and their cars right outside my
bedroom window, come to think of it). I've been trying to find somewhere
that has a good choice of ceanothus - everywhere I've been they had about 2
varieties, and they looked manky! Tried one up in Hook, a couple of large
ones on the road to Reading. Think Surrey will have to be my next choice,
so I'll try the ones you mention - thank you. I was obviously hoping to
find something similar to Ayletts down in Hampshire - how naive was I! I
thought if anyone knew where a decent garden centre near Basingstoke was,
it'd be Mr Titchmarsh

I've never been to Wisley, but it's on my list of places to visit. I'd
discovered The Meadows (M&S and Tesco) - a wonder to behold for us keen lady
shoppers! Thanks again for the other tips though Diane.

Pam

"flake" wrote in message
(with a snip..)

Old 08-01-2003, 10:35 PM
mollymac

A huge choice of healthy plants is what I'm really after, but an all round
package wouldn't go amiss either (ie. everything under one roof.) I can
find a supplier's list no problem, but it's personal recommendations I'm
really after. Thanks though.

Pam

2. Does anyone know what the best garden centre near Basingstoke is?

I'm
in Old Basing, have lived here just over 2 years, and have still not
discovered a really great one (for comparison, I'm thinking of Ayletts

on
the ring road nr. St. Albans, Hertfordshire, which always had a

fantastic
choice of plants).

Pretty good, but not so economical, but your right, the range *is*

extensive..
mind you they are a 'garden centre' as opposed to a nursery.. Good
Cafe and excellent selection of hardware/sundries as well.. Pig of an
approach road tho'!

Now for a decent nursery you cannot beat the Clockhouse in Endfield..
Bit further in to London (just inside the M25. ) but the best I know of
IMO.

As for Basingstoke. Have you tried searching the web for a suppliers
list.. Try somewhere like Martex etc..

Tehy he
http://www.google.com/search?client=...ntre%20basings
toke

For links to the above and more;-) As for an opinion of 'the best',
well its all relative really to what you like-)

//
Jim

Old 09-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Happy

I've never been to Wisley, but it's on my list of places to visit. I'd
discovered The Meadows (M&S and Tesco) - a wonder to behold for us keen

lady
shoppers! Thanks again for the other tips though Diane.

RHS Wisley is excellent! It has quite a extensive nursery. Not the
cheapest but they do offer a money-back guarantee. There is also a
fantastic bookshop, not to mention the wonderful gardens ;-) The eating
places are good although rather expensive.

I'm really looking forward to my next trip there on 18th February when I
shall be doing a course they are holding on ideas for a School Gardening
Club.

Natalie